Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Cranks, but won't start

Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 PM
mathteach
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranks, but won't start

I have a 2000 F-150 Harley Davidson. I came out of the bank and all of a sudden my truck would turn over but would not actually start. All of the electrical inside works fine, but nothing.

It has been suggested that it is the alternator, also possibly a fuel pump problem, maybe a relay or fuse.

Can anyone give me some insight to what this problem may be.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
S.A.L.
Senior User
It's not the alternator.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:02 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Get some starting fluid spray. Squirt the fluid into the intake and crank the motor.
If it fires the problem is in the fuel system.
If it does not fire the problem is in the ignition system.
Come back and let us know which system the problem is in then we will go from there.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Scottdl99
New User
Any updates?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
IAC maybe?

If you step on the gas while cranking and it starts, revs, and stays running with your foot on the gas, it's the IAC.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it cranks but doesn't start, it's probably a fuel problem or ignition problem. Check the filters, gas gauge, ignition fuse, ignition relay, fuel pump. Turn the key to on while having your ear next to the fuel pump(may require 2 people or really really long arms) and see if the fuel pump primes. If not, that will cause it. If the fuel filters are clogged and it's not getting fuel, that will cause it. If there's no spark, that will cause it.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I am having a similar issue.

Vehicle is a 2006 Harley F-150 5.4L 4x2 with 68k miles. I verified the no start condition and narrowed it down to the fuel system via starting fluid in the intake. It ran on fluid but died soon after.

Upon turning the key over, you cannot hear the initial fuel pump start up whine as usual. Checked the fuel pump fuse, it was good along with the fuel filter. I am currently looking for a schrader valve to confirm the lack of pressure in the fuel rail.

Over the phone, dealership believes it is either a fuel pump or a fuel pump control module. (something to that effect, don't remember exactly) The fuel module was on back order, which leaves me to believe this is becoming a common problem.

Looking for any advice please.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Tom.root
New User
Back yard diagnosis, Crank over engine while somebody bangs on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. If it starts the fuel pump is bad for sure.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Nealcrenshaw
Senior User
its the fuel pump

Old 03-17-2011, 06:19 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I am having a similar issue.

Vehicle is a 2006 Harley F-150 5.4L 4x2 with 68k miles. I verified the no start condition and narrowed it down to the fuel system via starting fluid in the intake. It ran on fluid but died soon after.

Upon turning the key over, you cannot hear the initial fuel pump start up whine as usual. Checked the fuel pump fuse, it was good along with the fuel filter. I am currently looking for a schrader valve to confirm the lack of pressure in the fuel rail.

Over the phone, dealership believes it is either a fuel pump or a fuel pump control module. (something to that effect, don't remember exactly) The fuel module was on back order, which leaves me to believe this is becoming a common problem.

Looking for any advice please.
The module is notorious for having the connections corrode.

I went to start my van Sunday and it cranked but no start.
It has been sitting up for a while.
Had the wife crank it while I sprayed starting fluid into the intake.
It started and ran as long as I kept spraying the fluid.
I'll be taking it over to my friends shop to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, but it was the fuel pump control module. Apparently, Ford mounted them on the frame above the spare tire. Water runs off the frame rail and corrodes the back of the module. Ford's fix is a two stage bolt that allows it to drain out the back as well. Why we need a fuel pump control module is another question entirely.

From what I understand, this is the most prevalent issue on the 150s that have this tech installed. Most dealerships I called didn't even stock a fuel pump, all they had was the modules. Truck runs good, but something happened to the sending unit in the process. Time for disassembly again.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
catman65
New User
I just purchase a used 2002 put about 100 miles on it before it shut off about a block from home. It has fuel pressure (30 with engine stopped and just over 40 while cranking)
It does try to start but will not stay running. Is this similar to your symptoms? i couldn't quite make it out exactly in your post. I have no faults at all.
Thanks for your input.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by catman65
I just purchase a used 2002 put about 100 miles on it before it shut off about a block from home. It has fuel pressure (30 with engine stopped and just over 40 while cranking)
It does try to start but will not stay running. Is this similar to your symptoms? i couldn't quite make it out exactly in your post. I have no faults at all.
Thanks for your input.
Not at all. Mine just stopped dead one day. Could not get it to run period. I doubt your 02 has a FPCM. I think they started them in 03 or 4. On mine, it was covered by the spare tire and bolted to the frame rail with a pigtail harness running to it.

How does the fuel filter look on your 02? I would start there and then go to quality of fuel being used. How many miles?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM
catman65
New User
My '02 has 66k miles on it, just purchased it so not sure on the past maintenance or the filter for that matter. I sent it back to the dealer where i purchase it hope to have an answer today so i will let you know what was found.

Thnaks

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Please post up the results. I'm interested to find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cranks, but won't start