6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OH No! Another Oil thread by a Newbie!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:33 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheezit...that makes sense to me. Too many dealerships the don't pay attention to the Magnuson Moss act and they try to void your warranty for the simplist things. Nice to know you're an ethical tech.

Mike

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CombatMedicF-250
Nice to know you're an ethical tech.

Mike

Thanks.

The thing I like to stress the most is noone can really tell you from one day to the next what will and will not void your warrenty. It all depends on what the failer is and what the mods are.

I have had to void a warrenty of a Radiator cap that had failed and that was an oem part that failed.

the story is simple guy comes in with 50k on a truck and has a failed cap. I found while doing someother work. The guy was advised that he needed to replace the cap (only covered 3/36). he declined the $15 dollar part. About a month later he came in with an empty degas bottle and coolant spewing everywere. He was denined the repair not by me but by Ford as the damage that was caused was do to lack of proper maintance. The cap failing was a major contributing factor.

Just a little real world for ya's

Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
try dieselsite .com. That's where I got my filter kit and everything fits quite nice.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
69cj...I'm on that site right now!

Thanx, Mike

Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
CombatMedicF-250 (Mike):
If you order the Kit from www.Diesilite.com make sure you get extra filters and the two stop***** to make filter replacement clean and no mess.
Flushing the system first an excuse to drink beer (or any adult beverage), Q some meat and watch football.
Watch the driving to circulate coolant liquid after installation of adult coolant.
You and a friend working on installing coolant filter 30 minutes.
Have fun.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:19 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Hey 03...I ordered the Coolant Filter, extra filters and the 2 stop***** last night as my first mods! I will most definitely flush first. They won't ship till after the 19th of NOV due to changing their product abit.

Ummm...talking of adult beverages, Did you see how you typed dieselsite.com? Did you have a few wen ya wrote that last night? LOL

Either way...thanks for the info. I'll be doing the Oil Bypass filter next!

Mike

Old 11-09-2009, 08:12 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Mike:
Think it is a German word with too many i's and e's and there is no spell check here to really mess things up.
Check the coolant threads.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
revolverivar
Freshman User
Yea I understand abotu the API rating and will follow it for sure. Talking about oil...let me ask about Oil Bypass systems. How good are they really? I understand they will further filter our oil and add about an extra quart. I've done them on gas trucks before and was always warned about the dreaded "oil shear" and the viscosity going to hell. What do ya'll think about that?

After I do the keep up maintenance...I'd like this to be a first mod. Anyone?
I run Kleenoil on my 2005 350 6,0. Its very easy to install and filter the oil to 1 micron. All you guys who dont have it, you have 4500 times more dirt in your oil than I have..... I´d say thats the first mod you you should get.
I change filter every 6000 miles and oil avery 75000 miles.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by revolverivar
I change filter every 6000 miles and oil avery 75000 miles.

You change oil every 75,000 miles?????

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
what I'm reading about the system he has is that as long as you send your oil to be analyzed and it comes back thumbs up...it's good to go! Now...they have alot of good feedback from American companies....so it's interesting.

Now...I think I'll stick with the complete amsoil oil bypass system and still change every 5K.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM
69cj
Hotshot
what I'm reading about the system he has is that as long as you send your oil to be analyzed and it comes back thumbs up...it's good to go! Now...they have alot of good feedback from American companies....so it's interesting.

Now...I think I'll stick with the complete amsoil oil bypass system and still change every 5K.
Good idea Mike. No matter what anyone tells you. Stick to 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. If they want to take the chance on a 15,000 dollar motor let them. I have nothing to gain by spending or saving your money.
Airborne, all the way.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
revolverivar
Freshman User
The only reason for changing the oil is the fact that its dirty. The oil and its additives is good for alot more than the factory says, providing of course you get an oil of good quality. You are only aiding the arabs. But most important is to have a bypassfilter at all.
An engine running on clean oil shows dramatically less wear than an engine running on the dirty stuff you get without.
This is no new science, its been around for 50 years.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
revolverivar...I do agree on a few of your opinions...them being:
1. I do change my oil due to the fact that it's dirty and full of contaminants.
2. I do not like helping support the Middle Eastern economy.
3. I do like the fact that a bypass filter will help extend the time frames that I can wait to change my oil. And I will be going with a Bypass Filters soon for coolant, oil and possibly transmission.
4. And I do appreciate the fact that I could extend times between my fluid changes with a bypass filter and a good oil analysis on a regular basis.

But, let's remember something here...In the good ole USA if my truck went down, I'd have to to prove a few things. Prove that I'm doing as the manufacturer suggests in the vehicle manual that it so kindly gives with each vehicle. This includes following all suggested fluid change intervals. NOW, if I have a dealership that understands bypass filters, oil analysis and their usefulness, show them receipts for oil and filters purchased with clearly marked dates and they say cool, we totally understand and agree, we'll fix your truck Sir, you're going above and beyond!...then I'm fine.

But, if I go into your average dealership and tell them I have a super bypass filter and I haven't changed my oil in 75,000 miles. Regardless of what I show them...what do you honestly think they will say?? They will more than likely **** their heads, give me that semi-evil OMG I'm gonna get him for 10K for a new engine grin, and say sorry Sir, you voided your warranty due to poor vehicle maintenance.

Now, would this happen? It could. I can read in this forum that we have plenty of very reputable Techs and Wrenches here. They all say they would treat you fairly and take all into their decision. BUT, they are not all Techs and Service Managers. Most would not take that into consideration and void my warranty completely for the engine.

Now, if it was a fleet truck and it was installed by the dealership or contracted shop, it might be different. But for us average Joes, probably not. Now some of us have made a pretty good relationship with our local dealerships so we might be able to pull it off!

But it's crap shoot for us.

But most importanty why do I like to change my oil, turn my own wrenches and spend hours working on my truck?

Why isn't it obvious? It's because I can!

Mike

Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Excellent post Mike!

There are more factors in the 6.0L engine regarding oil than the typical diesel engine of old.

Viscosity is VERY important, and TAN and TBN are important also. So are the detergent properties. The bypass filter is only for particulates (all the way down to small ones, but particulates none-the-less). This does not even take into consideration fuel dilutuion.

Even w/ all these issues, you nailed the one thing that is not really up for discussion. Most Ford dealerships will not be merciful w/ someone that has gone above the recommended service intervals for oil change when the vehicle is brought in for engine problems.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bismic
Excellent post Mike!

There are more factors in the 6.0L engine regarding oil than the typical diesel engine of old.

Viscosity is VERY important, and TAN and TBN are important also. So are the detergent properties. The bypass filter is only for particulates (all the way down to small ones, but particulates none-the-less). This does not even take into consideration fuel dilutuion.

Even w/ all these issues, you nailed the one thing that is not really up for discussion. Most Ford dealerships will not be merciful w/ someone that has gone above the recommended service intervals for oil change when the vehicle is brought in for engine problems.
Not only the dealership but the manufacturers. Non of them, even the Asian and European manf, would warranty an engine in the U.S. with a 75,000 mile oil change. I'd bet my case of beer on that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OH No! Another Oil thread by a Newbie!