Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

MEMBER PROJECTS - Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My own I just pulled the bed off of, and got the last carriage bolts removed from. I'll have some pic's this weekend...

I shot a little rust preventive paint to see what the difference would be, and a friend from work is going to bring in a power washer so that I can get rid of most of the crud on the frame the easy way...

The gas tank is in the backyard both to be cleaned and painted (heavy coats of RUSTOLEUM) and to remove the fire hazard when I ground on the bolts.

Things are moving fast finally....

Old 03-11-2002, 11:08 AM
karlsd
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats. I pulled the bed from mine a few weeks ago and also removed the rear bumper. That's so it would fit back in the garage nicely with plenty of room up front to work. The hood and front clip came off next (in pieces), and the 360 is out and on a stand waiting to be disassembled.

It's been there for a few weeks now, 'cause I promised my wife I'd remodel the guest room for our son's use. I spent the last two weekends building and installing cabinets and bookcases on one wall, installing wainscoting and new baseboards, and painting. I still have to install the new ceiling fan and build some shelves in the closet, and then it's back to the garage!

Next on the project list for the truck is getting the engine disassembled and the block delivered to the machine shop to be cleaned and bored and new cam bearings installed. My 428 crankshaft, rods and heads are done and ready to go, and I just ordered a camshaft kit (Comp Cams grind 265DEH, for those of you who know FEs) that should be here in a couple of weeks.

While the block is being done, I'm going to continue stripping the body panels so they can have a few dings repaired and get some fresh paint. Once they're at the body shop, I'll blast and paint the frame. I'm going to leave the cab on the frame because I have no good way to remove it, though a buddy suggested we could unbolt it and simply lay it on its back on the rear frame to get good access to the area underneath it and also install new cab mount bushings.

With a little luck and a lot of perseverance, I'll be back on the road by Labor Day. If things are going well, I might even try to convert the front to disc brakes before I put everything back together.

Old 03-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

Here's a few pic's of mine -

http://greywolf.clubfte.com/tankbefore.jpg
http://greywolf.clubfte.com/tankafter.jpg
http://greywolf.clubfte.com/rearbefore.jpg
http://greywolf.clubfte.com/rearafter.jpg
http://greywolf.clubfte.com/frameafter.jpg

The big issue now is where to get three guys to help turn the bed up on end so I can get after the bottom of THAT thing. It's heavier than I thought...

Old 03-12-2002, 10:27 AM
4rdrulz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well looks like you got to the back of the truck before I got back to you it looks good. What I did to mine was sandblast the frame and then took a die grinder with a wire brush to get to the hard spots, gotta wear safety gogglers though because that sucker turns some serious rpm's. I put a 6x6 up between a couple of trees in the front yard to raise the bed so I could get to the bottom. Re-worked the lines and fixed the e-brake cable, serviced the rear diff, etc.. Now if I can borrow my digital camera back from my neighbor I can put up some pics of The new flatbed my brother and I put on his 78 this weekend. Man it looks sweet, yak at ya later bro gotta go finish servicing my mowers, trailer and other equiptment so I can make me some tinkering money this spring. PS I posted the Land between the lakes info for all interested in getting their trucks dirty and have a little fun while they are at it see ya!!

Old 03-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

I'm temporarily at a "Stuck Point" because it's raining, and seriously humid out. Even if the rain stopped, paint has a hard time sticking if it's put on in humid weather.

-Oh, and by the way:

The Li'l Gal upstairs and Myself turned out to be all it took to lift the bed on end! I blasted it with the pressure washer yesterday.

Now if I can just get some paint on it before it rusts up REAL good....

"When the rust sets in, she'll be good as gone..."

(from: "Concrete & Steel" by ZZTOP)

Old 03-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner