6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

National / Federal Law coming requiring inspections?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
astamp78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National / Federal Law coming requiring inspections?

I have been thinking about the DPF delete...
Banks told me that there is a federal law in the works that would require annual sniff/visual inspection of all '08 and newer diesels. I haven't found verification of this. Is this true? Do I need to be worried if i do a DPF delete?

I live in Nebraska where there is currently no inspections.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your probably fine and Banks is probably right about the state they do business in. California. Does your state/county emission test gas cars now? If they don't I doubt they are going to do diesels either.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
caddy
Senior User
Harris county in Tx tests your emissions yearly already Don't know how you can do a delete and pass emission tests yearly.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 PM
astamp78
Senior User
To restate....my question is: Is there a federal law in the works, or any talk about a federal law requiring yearly (or whatever interval) emissions test? Has anyone heard about such a law?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
I have not heard of it myself. Boy I sure hope not! Course I still have mine on.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by caddy
Harris county in Tx tests your emissions yearly already Don't know how you can do a delete and pass emission tests yearly.
Diesels are exempted

Sam

Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
captain_trucks
Senior User
If they do put it back on for the test. I have not heard of anything, but the epa does not regularly consult with me either.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

usually there is no backward date enforcement, but in this case the standard for emissions has been in effect for a while

Sam

Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
I can't answer if a federal law is in the works to mandate diesel emission inspections, but I would expect there is always something in the hopper regarding this issue.

It is interesting that initially the laws regarding emission were geared to resolve air quality and now the shift has been to resolve global climate issues. However, the EPA has offered no reasoned explanation for its refusal to decide whether greenhouse gases cause or contribute to climate change, i.e., experts disagree on whether or not--and to what extent, if any--emissions are causing climate changes. I am actually more concerned with states reaching and enforcing their own standards that may cause larger headaches. Sometimes states can react more quickly than federal agencies to establish such laws. We'll just have to wait and see, but I would imagine those who make their living around DPF delete technology would have their fingers on the pulse of such activity.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I don't think the EPA has to declare anything.. If they are instructed to implement the plan, then thats what they should do.

California has already started with their own standards, cause the fed is too slow.
much thanks to Bush and team for sitting on this.

sometimes you have to take action and believe that its a contributor to the solution, without current supporting facts.. reduction in goo going into the air in the long run can't be bad.

Sam

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
better air does come at a price, but i think if we can hold out it will get better as technology gets better, just like in the 70's with the gas motors.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

and I really doubt the engineers LOVED using the DPF (or anyone else for that matter). Its a complicated and tricky approach.. but when ya gotta do something..

Sam

Old 11-06-2009, 04:02 PM
2kmelat
Junior User
cali is always the first to start these things and others stuff i will not get into. hope they fall into the ocean sorry if i seem to hard it just seem they always start this green bull **** without really backing it up. and it just snowballs from there. (meets cali 2010 emistions) I live in pa not cali so keep it out there.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:05 PM
whporwil
Senior User
My Question is If a truck has black tail pipes for what ever reason would it pass emissions test?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
astamp78
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
better air does come at a price, but i think if we can hold out it will get better as technology gets better, just like in the 70's with the gas motors.
If the DPF and DOC are decreasing fuel mileage, meaning causing the truck to burn more fuel, isn't that going to release more greenhouse gases? That is what some are saying is causing climate change, greenhouse gases. No one is worried about soot. Soot is not causing global issues. There is so much less soot in the air than there was years ago anyway. So I do not understand the need for the DPF, it seems counter productive to the big climate change issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: National / Federal Law coming requiring inspections?