1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad News OEM 4x4 Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Jikiri
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad News OEM 4x4 Hubs

Ok my f250 SD is a 02 nothing special 85k on the clock I've suffered 2 spit plugs, a 3rd that will have to be timex'd next plug change, a coolant line under the intake failing, 3 stress cracked windshields, the stuck door ajar switch, slag steel for brake disks and now this
This little hub adventure has taken a couple of days... so far

Started out as a thump thump thump on tight turns. Dual front shocks just done, thump still there. I've heard this sound b4 in my broncos, usually means the hubs are shot plus I never trust the OEM's anyway so I order myself up a set of warn premiums. I've done these b4 shouldn't take a but an hour or so to get em changed out

Boy was I in for a rude awakening, first one goes out with the old and in with the new no sweat.
Move around to the passenger side pop the snap ring out spray it down with WD wait a few minutes couple of taps with the hammer an wiggle ... nothing
... get a couple of vise grips clamped on, tossin these hubs anyway so who cares what happens to em, and pull... nothing no movement...
Ok tap a little harder with the hammer and pull... nothing.
Ok now I've tapped to hard an busted the casing up. Take the wheel off and hack saw through the hub close to the steel part of wheel hub its aluminum cuts pretty easy. Now I've drilled and tapped what's left of the hub with 1/4" bolts and sicked a gear puller on it, still no go and I cranked it up pretty good.

Ok I'm stumped for a bit then I get an idea looking at the other old hub to carve out the aluminum between the steel wheel hub and the locking hub right above where the O ring sits with a dremel and a tungsten metal carving bit being extremely careful not to carve into the outer steel wheel hub or go deeper than the O ring
Ok now I've pulled the O ring completely out more WD set the puller up again cranked it so much I broke the puller and another piece out of the hub.
Now I can see the outer teeth of the hub where it engages the inner teeth of the steel hub and its all rusted/ corroded together. Maybe no grease at the factory ?
I dunno, all I do know is I have a head ache on my hands .
I'll keep digging I'm patient an stubborn and if I have to cut this thing out a sliver at a time I will. Even if it takes me a week !!!
Moral of the story ? You might wanna service your hubs IMHO

On a brighter note the thump is gone with tight turns so it was a hub

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM
firemanpat29
Tuned
1. throw the wd-40 away buy some PB blaster or simular penetrating oil.
2.Maybe no grease at the factory ?
I dunno, all I do know is I have a head ache on my hands . after 8 years thats really kinda hard to blame on the factory.

3. 85k on an 8 year old truck? heck the thump was probably flat spots on the tires LOL

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Sounds like the hubs were not serviced every 30k miles or so.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
constrkings
New User
Hi, I have had the same problem your hubs are vaccum operated. The problem is that they are not unlocking. You need to turn the truck on and shift the transfer case shifter or **** back and forth betwen 4 h and 2 high till they unlock. you hve to check this manualy at the axle shaft.
It took me about 5 to 10 mint of this to get them to unlock on my 03 .
then they came out easy. I then installed the warn hubs and had no more problems.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
it was no preventive maint. that did the hubs in....

Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Jikiri
New User
Yea Im usually pretty good with the prevent maint stuff .. just over looked these, never seen em seize themselves in before even in OLD fords never had a problem gettin the hubs out oh well live n learn
Its out now and I didnt destroy anything besides the hub sooo....
Just like I thought it had corrode welded itself in.
Took some time and came out in pieces, but its out !!!!