Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector Saga (The sequel)?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
It was running better till the code threw. I feel like my truck is braking #8 injectors...

There is no reason for my truck to have more air in #8 issues then any other truck around. My truck is now running exactly the same as it was before this new injector. When i picked it up it was definitely running better. After i got back to work did some stuff and maybe an hour later I got in my truck and went to drive to run some errands. Maybe 2 min. after i started it I got the SES light. Ran the code while driving and it was 0308. I did not notice it running worse right away. But now I would say it is back to the way it was before the new injector.

It is clear to me now that a bad #8 injector is probably what burnt up my old motor. Since whatever is causing my injector issue hasn't been figured out I am afraid I am back to Square One. The same problem I had at the very beginning. No major symptoms just a P0308 code with an SES light.

I think we are going to try Ohm-ing the injector to see if maybe it is a wiring issue or maybe an IDM issue. Also try swapping CPS's with Stewy's spare blackie. I will update tomorrow after I talk to my friend/ head mechanic at the dealership and see what he thinks.

As always I appreciate every ones insight. I am just very frustrated.
Others may be more educated on this than me but if it was an IDM issue, I would think we would see other codes. You always just get the P0308. Nolan, I would check one thing at a time. I would start by checking all the wiring. I know its a royal PITA but lets rule that out first. Its a big bundle but we can narrow down the # injector wire. Then swap in the black CPS. Try that for a while.

If your truck is indeed "eating" #8 injectors, it has to be either electrical, fuel, or HPO. Tackle them one at a time till you get results.

We all know the dealer is trained to throw parts at problems. I would not be surprised to see them throw injectors at the motor till your warranty is up.

Just my $0.02. Trying to help.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nolan,

Try to get the injector they took out. It may be a clue to what is happening if the right person were to check it out. Just sayin'.

Maybe someone in the injector rebuild world could do some forensics on it.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a core on the injector they took out...

I hadnt looked at the paperwork of work done. now i have. He did check the power going to all the injectors. And all the injectors checked out ok.

I ran a CCT yesterday and got the same 0284 that i get every time i have ran a cct which is Cylinder 8 failed contribution. Same thing the dealer got when they ran a cct before changing the injector. It DID however pass CCT after the new injector was installed.

I talked to my friend/head mechanic at the dealership this morning and told him we were back to square one. Running the same that it was and a Hard 0308 and failed CCT with a result of a 0284.

So I am going to take it back to him on monday and he is going to do a Compression Test on all drivers side cylinders and also is going to test power from the IDM. I am tempted to get with Peter this Sunday an d swap IDM's just for S&G's.

i am very worried about burning up another motor. But the compression test will assure me that no permanent damage has been done... yet.

On a lighter note they did do the speed control recall for me and also did a full inspection and my truck otherwise is A+... minus my back tires that according to them only have 1/32 tread left. LOL

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good luck Nolan.

Do you know anyone who might have an old injector that you could use for a core and get the other one back?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Theres a core on the injector they took out...

I hadnt looked at the paperwork of work done. now i have. He did check the power going to all the injectors. And all the injectors checked out ok.

I ran a CCT yesterday and got the same 0284 that i get every time i have ran a cct which is Cylinder 8 failed contribution. Same thing the dealer got when they ran a cct before changing the injector. It DID however pass CCT after the new injector was installed.

I talked to my friend/head mechanic at the dealership this morning and told him we were back to square one. Running the same that it was and a Hard 0308 and failed CCT with a result of a 0284.

So I am going to take it back to him on monday and he is going to do a Compression Test on all drivers side cylinders and also is going to test power from the IDM. I am tempted to get with Peter this Sunday an d swap IDM's just for S&G's.

i am very worried about burning up another motor. But the compression test will assure me that no permanent damage has been done... yet.

On a lighter note they did do the speed control recall for me and also did a full inspection and my truck otherwise is A+... minus my back tires that according to them only have 1/32 tread left. LOL
Nolan, I am totally game to swap IDMs with you.... again. I am going to re-iterate, I sincerely doubt this is an IDM issue. There would be other codes present. I have been wrong before, just ask my wife.

We know there is a Ford TSB about #8 injector codes with the gray CPS.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

I agree about it not being a an IDM issue. Especially since they cost about $900.

Perhaps on Sunday we can swap my cps...

Old 11-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Perhaps on Sunday we can swap my cps...
When's the next diesel club meeting? We can do it then, in the parking lot.

Stewart

Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Next meeting is on the 15th but you already knew that.. LOL

We shall see what the dealer says on Monday.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You weren't sure. You said you had to get with Pete before you cemented the date.

I just wanted to make sure the cement had dried.

Stewart

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Well now back ON Topic (Stewart and Peter! lol) She back at the dealership to be seen first thing Monday morning. So i should have an update as of noon hopeful.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they find and FIX the problem this time.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

i havnt herd anything yet and I am starting to worry about my baby... LOL I should call but figure i will try to be patient.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

So it looks like we are going to go with the phantom code issue!!!

He threw ever test he could at it including a mechanical compression test of the whole bank and everything is A+.

So he called corporate and talk to a master tech and they agreed that this is perfect example of an extreme case of the 0284/0308 phantom code problem/issue. If you look deeper into the bulletin about it you will read that when the phantom code sets it CAN cause a running rough issue and or misfire!

So since "ford technicians are working on resolving this issue with the new CPS's" I will simply get a black CPS to throw in there... He said if i do that it WILL NOT void my motors warranty.

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they should find you a black cps. Since they agree that is the problem...

Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

+1 what Huck said.

And thanks for calling me to tell me I was right Nolan.

Quick Reply: Injector Saga (The sequel)?!?!?!