General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

OT- N1H1 - Deadly or overexaggerated ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OT- N1H1 - Deadly or overexaggerated ??

I know this is REALLY off topic, but what is everyones take on this N1H1 flu stuff?

Some say its dangerous, and we're all gonna die, the next guy says its not that bad, and I've hear you have a better chance dying in the bathtub as well.

I've heard the shot is a "life saver", and yet from someone else, I hear it has mercury, poison, or causes altszeimers disease, or etc.

Personally, I think that the earths population is growing so crowded, that flu pandemics such as this one will become more frequent, so with that in mind I think it's better to stay away from shots like that, and let the body keep its natural ability to fight off viruses and stuff. It seems like everyone wants an instant solution, like medication, shots, etc, and it seems like people take their kids to the doctor for a little sniffle, get perscription, and the darn kids are sick ALL the time.

Whatever happened to "rough it out", or "Man the he!! up"

Obviously, you can't "rough out" serious, deathly illnesses, but I think Its getting a little ridiculous already. Last week, my wife went in to the doctor with a sore back, and went on some kind of weird pills, now she has a kidney infection from the pills, as a side effect! Man up a little! And still back pain!

I do not go to the doctor unless I am in dire need of medical attention. There are several indian reserves around here, and they will bring van loads of sniffly kids to the hospital, and demand immediate attention, for something a 50cent box of kleenex can take care of. Is it fair to waste a doctors time, when there are people in need of real help, going without help?

Back to H1N1,

My main point is that problems like this are likely to arrise more and more often, so is it a good idea to take the vaccine every time and possibly bite the small risk of side effects or a weaker immune system,

-OR-

Man up, rough it out, and go crawling to the hospital in the event you realize you were just too damn stubborn this time?

Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Moto52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard 6000 people died last year from the common flu, and I think around 100 people have died this year from H1N1.. soooooo yea i'm getting really sick of hearing about h1n1 all over the news everyday.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
This kinda sums it up sorta

Lets Get Real
News is just “news”…
Not the absolute truth.
Let’s put swine flu (H1N1) into perspective
What are the symptoms of Influenza A (H1N1)?
• Fever • Headache • Cough • Sore throat • Runny & stuffy nose • Extreme fatigue • Muscle aches • Nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea (these symptoms may also occur, but are more common in children)
So….
Just about anyone could have Swine Flu
Deaths
816 deaths worldwide in 160 countries
Europe – 16,556 cases with 34 deaths
‘Given that countries are no longer required to test and report individual cases, the number of cases reported actually understates the real number of cases.’
Odds of …
# death by assault in your lifetime : 331/1
# death by falling : 250/1
# death by firearm : 325/1
# death by poison : 1,400/1
# death in a car crash : 5,000/1
# death by choking on food or something else : 5,000/1
# death by drowning : 9,000/1
# death by murder : 20,000/1
# death by lightning : 71,000/1
# death by dog attack : 137,000/1
# death in the bathtub : 807,000/1
# death by a flood : 713,000/1
# death by falling out of bed : 2,000,000/1
# being killed in a terrorist WMD attack : 6,000,000/1
1154 people died (worldwide)
Odds 8,000,000/1
Yup, that’s right
You at a greater risk from drowning in a bathtub

Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

I agree with you, most people want a magic pill to fix the slightest thing. Friggin' pathetic. Natural selection does not apply to the human race any longer, and we're getting weaker as a species, but more abundant. 200 years ago, you had to work to survive. This was a shorter life, but I think the average 14yr old from those days would not only out-work, but likely kick the living crap out of 95% of people walking the earth today. You HAD to be tougher, stronger, to survive, and this was a good thing.

There was no such thing as ADHD; that is a condition of a luxury lifestyle. If you had to work in a field 10hrs/day just to survive and got distracted that much... you'd probably starve. No genes passed on with that characteristic...

Here's the other harshly pragmatic view: IF this virus were to be as deadly as all the panic-button pushers want us to believe, well.... end of recession. There will once again be more jobs than people. Bonus? Fewer traffic jams.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by papadelogan
I agree with you, most people want a magic pill to fix the slightest thing. Friggin' pathetic. Natural selection does not apply to the human race any longer, and we're getting weaker as a species, but more abundant. 200 years ago, you had to work to survive. This was a shorter life, but I think the average 14yr old from those days would not only out-work, but likely kick the living crap out of 95% of people walking the earth today. You HAD to be tougher, stronger, to survive, and this was a good thing.

There was no such thing as ADHD; that is a condition of a luxury lifestyle. If you had to work in a field 10hrs/day just to survive and got distracted that much... you'd probably starve. No genes passed on with that characteristic...
Agreed.

It's up to us to make the call.

If you have a child that is very sick, obviously it would be stupid to watch them die when we have good medical technology, however, maybe a little less crap food, and a little more excersise, and just a touch less artifical ingredients and pesticides, and I'm sure everyone in general would be better off.

My kid just sneezed, I gotta run and call 911, but I'll be on later.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:11 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by papadelogan;8096221

Here's the other harshly pragmatic view: IF this virus were to be as deadly as all the panic-button pushers want us to believe, well.... end of recession. There will once again be more jobs than people. [I
Bonus? Fewer traffic jams.[/I]
LOL

I think it might be reasonable to expect that one day, there might be a REAL bad virus, with no known vaccine. and those with robust immune systems will have a better chance of surviving.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by papadelogan

Here's the other harshly pragmatic view: IF this virus were to be as deadly as all the panic-button pushers want us to believe, well.... end of recession. There will once again be more jobs than people. Bonus? Fewer traffic jams.
X2, I am so sick of hearing about it. Maybe if people didn't take meds for every little ache and pain we wouldn't think the yearly flu was a "pandemic". I also think it makes a convienent distraction from the current government issue.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 PM
rugerman
Senior User
Yea once the media gets its paws on a topic they run it into the ground, like global warming, cash for clunkers, you name it . If you believe every thing that you hear in the media then you need to either hide under a rock some where or go ahead and end it all.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
X2, I am so sick of hearing about it. Maybe if people didn't take meds for every little ache and pain we wouldn't think the yearly flu was a "pandemic". I also think it makes a convienent distraction from the current government issue.
What government??

Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Giuseppe1425
Senior User
Way over exaggerated and frankly I am so sick of hearing about it by now. Eventually people will come to the realization that sometimes you get sick and you just have to deal with it. I don't understand the notion of going to the doctor at the slightest problem, because 99% of the time they will prescribe you something you could get over the counter anyway. I try going to the doctor as infrequently as possible because I truly believe that a lot of people get sick from just always thinking they are sick (the mind is a very crazy organ and can do incredible things). Oh well I'm interested to see what the new "super virus" will be next year to distract everyone from the actual issues.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:42 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
How would you convince a country to pass a huge health care bill? Gotta have a pandemic to sell it. but not one dangerous enough to hurt americans

Old 11-02-2009, 06:08 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres a conspiracy theroy for you.. The goverment is pushing this off as "scary" to test the over crowding of our hospitals to see how they would react in a real sitituation...

Now, My take on this.. the people who are dying from this are most likely the ones who would be getting the flu shot, nor seeking medical attention anyways. Good chance they have an underlying condition as well. IN other words, they were sick in first place..and to steal a catch phrase, thats my .02

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 AM
70blue
Postmaster
People die every year due to regular seasonal flu. Not near as many are dying from this. I think it is largely over hyped myself.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
Heres a conspiracy theroy for you.. The goverment is pushing this off as "scary" to test the over crowding of our hospitals to see how they would react in a real sitituation...

Now, My take on this.. the people who are dying from this are most likely NOT the ones who would be getting the flu shot, nor seeking medical attention anyways. Good chance they have an underlying condition as well. In other words, they were sick in first place..and to steal a catch phrase, thats my .02
Sorry, just re read what I wrote and wanted to correct that one spot.

Quick Reply: OT- N1H1 - Deadly or overexaggerated ??