Quest for power

Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 PM
393STROKER
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quest for power

I pulled my motor(393 EFI) to check it out before I put a supercharger on it.It started blowing smoke out the right side and I thought it had a blown header gasket on the left side.Turned out that one of the rocker studs had backed out and the stud girdle kept it in place enough that it started making some noise but didn`t damage anything.As far as the smoke I found oil on the inside walls of the intake manifold.Maybe it was sucking oil through the PCV valve.I`m going to have the heads checked out at the machine shop for worn valve guides and seals.I hope it didn`t break a piston ring.I want to swap out the Edelbrock Performer 5.8 for a Victor EFI or a Trick Flow R box top intake manifold and a Holley 80mm throttle body.So the things I can`t figure out is what size fuel injectors ? 42`s ? Will the Ford MAF conversion kit computer work? Does it have a built in rev limiter? Is there a supercharger kit out there that is good quality that puts out more than 5-6 lbs.boost? What would be needed to get the throttle cable/AOD trans cable to work with the different intake? Thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 AM
zrxlover
Senior User
Originally Posted by 393STROKER
I pulled my motor(393 EFI) to check it out before I put a supercharger on it.It started blowing smoke out the right side and I thought it had a blown header gasket on the left side.Turned out that one of the rocker studs had backed out and the stud girdle kept it in place enough that it started making some noise but didn`t damage anything.As far as the smoke I found oil on the inside walls of the intake manifold.Maybe it was sucking oil through the PCV valve.I`m going to have the heads checked out at the machine shop for worn valve guides and seals.I hope it didn`t break a piston ring.I want to swap out the Edelbrock Performer 5.8 for a Victor EFI or a Trick Flow R box top intake manifold and a Holley 80mm throttle body.So the things I can`t figure out is what size fuel injectors ? 42`s ? Will the Ford MAF conversion kit computer work? Does it have a built in rev limiter? Is there a supercharger kit out there that is good quality that puts out more than 5-6 lbs.boost? What would be needed to get the throttle cable/AOD trans cable to work with the different intake? Thanks
What compression are you running? Yes I would check the valve guides and put good valve steam seals on valves, don't know which seals you are running? Before you remove the heads here are some things you can do:You could do a compression test on both sides to see if your rings or guides\seals\valves or seats are bad, bring cylinder to tdc, pressure cylinder, take oil filler cap off to see if pressure is coming out or out of the intake. This would suggest guides and or seals.If no pressure out of filler cap or intake pull your dip stick out and feel if pressure is coming out of dip stick hole, this would suggest piston rings? You could do a compression leak down test also.How many miles are on the motor you are going to put the super charger on? I'm sure there is a company out there that can get you whatever amount of boost you want. When you do ,make sure your bottom end can handle all that boost: main cap bolts, rods and bolts,head bolts, pistons, etc. Then ask the company you find with the super charger what do they recommend for your build and application, the size of injectors and how much boost you should run? I don't know but, if you find a super charger company that will work with you they will be able to direct you to people to solve your throttle linkage and transmission issues? Google super chargers if you have not already and get phone #'s to get all the information you need.I may not have not been any help but, thats where I would start,zrxlover. GOOD LUCK, keep me informed what you find?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
393STROKER
Elder User
Thanks for the reply man.It has 9.36 to 1 compression now w/the ported Trick Flows.I already tore it down so I cant do any tests on it.I`m going to send it to the shop to have it freshened up and bigger valve springs installed so I can use the 1.7 roller rockers w/the roller cam thats in it.The stock TF springs are good to .600 lift,and the 1.7`s will take it past that.The Eagle rods are only good for 500 hp so I want to upgrade them for added insurance.But you are right, I need to call Vortech and talk to them.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
393STROKER
Elder User
I called Vortech,the supercharger for 5.8 trucks has been discontinued through them.