1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

how to make the cab of a f100 fat man compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 AM
jakey14424
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to make the cab of a f100 fat man compatible?

I am a big guy and would like tp know what i could do to make it so i could fit behind the steering column rather than sit to the side....(other than the obvious---lose more weight :P)

Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
jakey, Welcome to FTE. There wasn't much driver comforts added to our ol trucks. I have been kicking around taking 2 1/2-3" out of my steering column to have more belly room and my hands further away. The seat already hits the back of the cab, so no help there.

I like driving my truck for the raw power it delivers, and for the exhaust notes, but I really don't like to drive my truck just for driving. I had much rather drive my Taurus truck.

John

Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I consider the cab of my bumpside to be pretty roomy, but then, I'm kind of a small guy. But even at that, I drive with the seat all the way back. Just not a lot of room there...

I think I would swap in a tilt column from a later truck and replace the stock wheel with a smaller one, see what that does for you. If you still need more room there might be some changes that could be made to the seat...perhaps removing the in-cab gas tank and replacing it with a frame-mounted tank would allow you a little more seat room.

Oh, and Welcome to FTE!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Raider50
Elder User
I am in the same boat, all i did was put the smallest steering wheel i could find into my 66 and it gave me plenty of room. my belly was rubbing on the stock wheel and the new one is probably 4 inches away if not more.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
MotorDog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hadn't thought about it...............But,

My '70 High Boy Crew Cab isn't a problem for me even though I am 6 ft. tall and weigh in at 230. As far as that goes, my '70 CS fits me fine, also. Sorry guys, maybe when I grow up a little I will share your problem. One thing I did see, though, when checking into what I might do if faced with this problem was this. On my Crew Cab, it would be easy to remove the front seat and re-position the rear seat, (they are identical), more forward to a comfortable position. There would be a lot of room for creature comforts like a small fridge and maybe a nice little tv, etc. Wonder what the Crew Cab would look like with a pilot chair in a living room???...... Ideas, Ideas!!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Carolina Classics
Former Vendor
Finding a tilt that you can adapt would be your best choice. Shortening your column would only put the steering wheel down on your legs more and that ain;t fun. Shrtened them plenty of times, it don't work. Sorry.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolina Classics
Finding a tilt that you can adapt would be your best choice. Shortening your column would only put the steering wheel down on your legs more and that ain;t fun. Shrtened them plenty of times, it don't work. Sorry.
HMMMmmmmmmmm, thanks Rick.

Push the back wall of the cab out, and my feet wouldn't reach the peddles.

John

Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just get one of those slimming body shaping undergarments from the infomercials!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I have seen at least 2 guys adapt the 78 and 79 tilt column into these trucks or flamming river can make you a custom column for about 400.00.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
whitetrash
Senior User
I just put in a tilt from a 78 Bronco; I bought it on ebay. It was an easy swap. I bought a smaller wheel as well. I have removed the cab tank, and put a mid 90’s seat (with lumbar support) in it. The tank removal didn’t give any more seat room, just some extra storage. The tilt column and smaller wheel made it a lot nicer.

The wheel that I bought is flat then has an extension that pushes it out the same distance from the column as one of our steering wheels. I have been considering ways to shorten that extension a few inches, but after reading the post from our friends at Carolina Classics about just moving it closer to your legs; I may reconsider.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
boo-yaa138
Senior User
just go buy a smaller steering wheel and your fine. look at the grant wheels, they make some small but nice wheels.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:50 PM
C.hill
Junior User
is there no stock type wheel off a newer truck that would work? i know on the mid 70s chevys, you could take the wheel from a 90s model cavalier, and it would fit right on with no modifications, and was perfict.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 AM
richabilly
New User
Hello -- new here. Anyway, I too have the same problem on my 61. I am considering a new wheel, but am concerned if i go to a 14" grant or lecarra that I wont be able to grunt the wheels at a stop. But i guess its better than polishing the wheel with my belly.

i have just started to search this, so if this has been answered, i apologize -- can the steering column simply be tilted toward the dash more?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
jfmaz
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by richabilly
Hello -- new here. Anyway, I too have the same problem on my 61. I am considering a new wheel, but am concerned if i go to a 14" grant or lecarra that I wont be able to grunt the wheels at a stop. But i guess its better than polishing the wheel with my belly.
Exactly what I was thinking. Hope you have power steering if you put on the smaller wheel. Putting on the smaller wheel without power steering will pose a new problem after a while:
Now you will need extra room for your giant popeye arms!!!

Welcome from another semi-new guy.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
marks69
Senior User
i went with the ididit tilt colum. bolted right up and works nice.

Quick Reply: how to make the cab of a f100 fat man compatible?