have you used this pump? Mr.Gasket #12D

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
have you used this pump? Mr.Gasket #12D

Mr.Gasket Micro Electric Fuel Pump-Diesel 4-7psi 35GPH #12D

this meets the specs of the stock mechanical pumps psi and slightly exceeds the gph by 5.

it appears to be the "MICRO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP-35GPH" pump.that Mr.gasket states on their website: "Not for Diesel applications!!"
that ones part# is 12S

if you tried one.please state the part#

diesel # 12D

gas #12S

thanks!

i got to thinking,all it needs to do is push the fuel up,the ip does the work.
figure as long as it matches what the mechanical pump does to feed and circulate the injectors why go overkill with the higher psi and way overkill on gph with the holly red.
about half price.i cannot see spending twice as much for something that will work just as good.
its a good brand name too.
i guess it probably just has different seals or something between part numbers.im sure they tested the 12S in their labs with diesel and saw it failed thus reason for making the diesel pump.
if you have used the one for gas.please feel free to let us know how long that lasted too.
also state where you placed the pump and if you used the filter or bypassed it.
also do you guys find that gravity feeds the pump fine from both tanks?
(as you cant place a single pump the recommended 12" or less from each tank of course)
thanks!

you can view better details/specs here from Mr.Gasket than sales sites offer and see the difference between the two:
http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductsListB...minselection=1

a misplaced/no inline fuel filter before the pump,or wrong pump for the application can give a pump a bad rap in a hurry.so i really want honest opinions please.

p.s. looks like amazon has the best deal for diesel # 12D $45 and change.free ship.

im not in a hurry for this mod.i'l do it after my truck is on the road.iv still got plenty to do now lol.
glad the hardest part is over-rusted out front u-joints! man that job sucks haha.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
y not get a mechianl 1 and just swap out the one on the block

Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joe f350
y not get a mechianl 1 and just swap out the one on the block
my mechanical stock lift pump works fine.
im doing this mod for two reasons.
1.more power.by removing a mechanical fuel pump and replacing with an electric pump,you free up power used to turn the pump.it may only be a couple ponies.but those are my hp i can have at the wheels rather than spinning a pump.this also means a tiny bit of improved mpg as well.
little mods= big HP/MPG increases after you do a bunch of them.
2.an electric pump primes the system VERY easy.dont have to worry about burning up starters/draining the batteries due to lost prime/air leaks that are very common with these idi's.

switching over to electric pump is the way to go.

and if i get good feedback about this pump.(imho,if it will go 4-5 yrs at least,for that price im ok with that)

Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Red Cobra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am sure i have the gas one in my truck i pressure washed the sticker off about a month ago or i would run out and check for you but it was just an off the shelf Mr.G.P pump so my best bet is its not the diesel one your talking about it has been about a year now with no problems and as far as the little filter that comes with it im usure what i did about that as well i may have just drilled it through but also it has been a year so im not 100% and mine is mounted on the wheel well on the lift pump side of the moter

Old 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used both, had good luck with the gasser one, 12s I have one on my 84 thats been there 3 or 4 years and still works. I put the 12d on my 88 a month ago and it went bad the night before last. The 12s was on this truck before that and it lasted about 2 months. They key to their survival is DO NOT LET THEM RUN DRY. Every time my truck runs out of fuel (I don't have a fuel gauge), the pump goes bad. Other pumps I have had work fine after being run dry. The 12d will not keep up with my truck unless it has a brand new fuel filter on it. Manual fuel pumps are better than electric at pushing fuel through semiblocked fuel filters. with a manual pump, when the filter gets stopped I can drive it to the parts house to get another one, it just surges and drives slower but with an electric fuel pump I never notice a problem until the truck quits going down the road. I finally put two fuel pumps one after the other on my truck and it runs great now, plus its really nice like the other night when the 12d went out, the other pump was still running and it got me back to O'Reilly's where they gave me another one.
I, however am limited to electric on my 88 because someone before me put the lift pump in wrong and ruined the cam shaft lobe that runs the fuel pump. I would much rather have a manual pump, I left the manual pump and put the electric pump on a switch for priming the fuel system when I needed to on my 84 and this works much better.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
I'm using an electric fuel pump in series with the Mechcanical pump. It works great to prime the system. As far as saving power from the fuel pump? You'll never noticeit because you still have to generate the electrical power and the mechanical pump only flows what is needed. The cam pulls the diaphragm down and a spring pushes the fuel out. There is a lost motion link that allows the rocker arm to stay in contact with the eccentric to prevent a tapping noise.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
she died today guys.
about 1 yr and 20k miles latter.
getting juice and ground,just no response from the pump at all.
going to replace it with a carter p4070 this time.
guess it doesn't pay to try and save a buck or two when it comes to pumps.had to try one for myself though.
luckily,it just died overnight.engine started,then i saw the fuel filter light and it stalled.didn't go anywhere.was just gunna clean up the drive of a little snow.
the known good carter is only like 30 more bucks.best to just get one of those guys.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I just better keep quiet on this one, and not say what I wanna say... lol

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
With all BS and poking-fun aside...thanks for posting your results. Sorry you had to find out the hard way, but luckily it doesn't sound like it left you stranded in a tough place! Following up on a thread (something I'm not too good at) is great for everybody who searches and finds a good thread, but never finds the answer and has to start a new thread anyways. Good luck with the next e-pump.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
I think I just better keep quiet on this one, and not say what I wanna say... lol
hahaha.hey now.
well some people have had replacement stock mechanical lift pumps fail even much sooner than this.i can find threads where its happened all night lol.
plus,don't forget when it failed,i didn't get a crank case full of fuel ruing my synthetic motor oil either.

searching around,iv seen the holly reds equal to my results in many cases too.so im gunna stay away from those.
the carter's have an outstanding 10+ year reputation.i guess their differently designed without the wear parts some other pumps have.
i should have sucked it up last time and just went with one to start with,but i was curious how long one these would go by using the diesel rated one,with clean tank/fuel and the tiny filter removed.now i know.not so good.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
searching around,iv seen the holly reds equal to my results in many cases too.so im gunna stay away from those.
the carter's have an outstanding 10+ year reputation.i guess their differently designed without the wear parts some other pumps have.
i should have sucked it up last time and just went with one to start with,but i was curious how long one these would go by using the diesel rated one,with clean tank/fuel and the tiny filter removed.now i know.not so good.
Never know if ya don't try! The Carter sounds like a winner though, something I'll use if I ever convert over to the dark side! Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I taught you already done this mod XLT? Along with E-fans and whatnot?

You plow with that truck correct?

If you go with an E-pump, your truck idles alot and not charging much doing so, plus heater on, lights, plow working, really kills the batteries. But I do think you did the 3G Alt upgrade though?

I'll say one thing, I have nothing bad about electric pumps but what I hate is that, an electric fuel pump, either works or it doesn't. That said, you have no warning sign when it goes bad and stops. It can leave you maybe in a bad places/situations. And requires wires to work, witch depending where the wires are located, can corrode with time and well you know.

Plus there pretty expensive compared to mec pumps. Sure they last alot longer, but you can go through alot of mec. pumps before catching up the price of 1 electric pump.

On the other hand, what is damn good about 'em is they prime the system without needing cranking, thus saving your starter, batteries etc. So i guess you save money on that side.

To me it's kind of a win win and loose loose situation with an electric pump on a mechanical pump block.

I'll keep mine all mechanical

Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah iv been running the cheap e-pump for a year now John.
im just reporting back how long it lasted me for others.
pretty much no surprise.same results.the MR.Gasket pumps are not worth their money lol.

nah,when a pump fails,it fails and leaves ya stranded.be it run off the cam gear,or run of the battery.
of course without a risk of a crankcase full of fuel,since i blocked that off.that is a plus there.one less risk,especially running expensive synthetic oil.
my mistake was using the cheapy.
they only draw a couple amps John.
in the '93 ford switched over to the newer serpentine belt and 3g alternator.i have no problems at all plowing with my dual e-fans running on high.that's no issue.
i researched that enough,to know not to mess around with cheap e-fans. i went right there,by using OEM ford fans.not saying that eventually those wont burn out and need to be replaced either at some point.no part last forever.but they're known for going years and years without issue,and like 30$ a pop for replacements,so not much worry there.
"electric" wasn't my error.just choosing the wrong part was.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
hey XLT how are those e-fans workin out for ya? Also how long have yo had them now?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Coalroller
hey XLT how are those e-fans workin out for ya? Also how long have yo had them now?

Thanks
those are working perfect.i got the right fans.i made sure of that one.

the other day,i decided to see if they would over cool the engine by keeping them on with the plow on,going down the road.and they could,so i pulled over and turned the dial so they would turn off after the t-stat was open.
loving those.now i just need a reliable e-pump to match 'em lol.
once warm weather hits,i'll keep ya updated how they work while hauling heavy loads and pulling the chipper.but i don't predict any problems there as she run just fine all last summer without a working fan clutch.

Quick Reply: have you used this pump? Mr.Gasket #12D