Sponsored by: Moser

Cal. Smog Diagram Needed for 460

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat
I'd be very happy to go the manifold air ports route if I could. The only thing is that all the documentation I have as far as schematics go do not show this as an option. At this point I have spoken to the smog referee and he is willing to give it a sticker if I have all the proper smog parts on it. Could I fudge and try to slip it by a smog shop? I suppose I could but since I am putting on 90% of the parts on anyway, I see no reason not to just finish it right and never have to worry about it again. Once you have the sticker, as long as the parts stay on the smog shops won't blink an eye.

However, should I try and go with those manifolds, I wonder exactly how they work. I have a similar setup on my 76 Blazer with smog legal Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers that have the air ports. I wonder if it is the same setup. On the normal 78 emissions for a 460 the crossover tube attaches to a single valve with one hose runnng to the front. I will have to try and find a schematic for an E series 460 and see what it has.
You'll have to do the research and even find if the parts are still available to make it work that way with the air tubes. PM number dummy, he will make short work of it. You could fake a smog shop, but they are pretty sensitive about people trying to get over on them. its not like the old days where they got a slap on the wrist for passing stuff that was not up to snuff. Now it is like a 10+K fine and loosing their license. If it looks like it is not the way it came from the factory, don't bother even taking it in. Talk to the smog tech first, have him take a look at it..... Less is more when talking to these folks. Dont mention engine swap, dont mention finding parts and pieces etc etc.

Originally Posted by v8only
i've lived in cali my entire life and have been dealing here with the emissions my entire life..

this is super simple...just tell them it's a federal vehicle, and they'll smog it accordingly. for 78 that will give you the heavy duty designation, which means your 460 could have come from an f350, which has very little emissions on it.

Your vehicle is too old...these techs don't know what came on them, don't care and don't want to bother looking it up. So long as you walk in there, tell them its a federal vehicle, point out the emissions which you say should be on there for a federal vehicle, then pay your smog fee, they're not gonna care.
Pretty much that is the way it is. Have them do a quick looksie under the hood, if they dont like what they see under the hood, go someplace else. If they like it, pay the money, shut up and enjoy your smog.