Cal. Smog Diagram Needed for 460

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
Chad (jermafenser): 1973/79 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog =

1978/79 460 F150/350 & Econoline = EGR: Illustration Section: 94.1 / Page 33.

Parts and hose routings are shown.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help NumberDummy, Jermafenser, DL1221 and all the rest. This looks like it is going to be quite the scavenger hunt to get everything found.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
abert
Freshman User
Thanks for the list DL1221 i have all the parts hooked up now i just need to get it past
the smog police.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:10 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Originally Posted by DL1221
For a 1978 F150-250 with light duty emissions (GVW under 8500lbs), and California emissions, your truck's 460 should have the following emissions equipment:

- PCV = PCV valve
- TAC = Thermostatic Air Cleaner (yes they do have a hot air riser)
- AIS = Air Injection System (air pump)
- EVAP = Evaporative Emission Control (charcoal canister)
- OC = Catalytic Converter
- EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR Valve)
- SPK = Spark Control
- EGR-BPS = EGR Back-Pressure Sensor
- VTK = Vacuum Throttle Kicker

In case you're interested, your factory calibration number for a F150-250, 460 V8, Auto Trans, with California Emissions, should be: 8-66U RO.

Again, I do have a vacuum diagram, but it's very hard to read, PM me and I can email it to you.
Resurrecting this again, what is an ACL, EVAP-VC, and FR?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
dlburch
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 183 Posts
Air Cleaner
EVAP-vapor canister
fuel restrictor (small fuel filler inlet for unleaded fuel)

Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Thanks much. Today was a great day having gone to the Pick N' Pull in Stockton and I found all kinds of parts I needed only to have my elation shattered as I got home and found that the heads on my 460 do not have the ports in the back for that crossover tube that connects the two heads. I was so close to having all the parts I needed too.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Originally Posted by DL1221

Now for the air pump tubes on a 460, the tubes were routed to holes in the back of the cylinder heads. Very hard to get to with the engine in the truck. If your engine does not have them, or if your heads don't have the holes to accept the air tubes, you may have an issue.

Got your PM, I'll send you the vacuum diagram tonight, when I get home.

Hope this helps.
Yep, I have an issue. I pulled an air pump tube from a junkyard donor and when I got home, I looked and it seems that I don't have the heads with the port. I suspect the original 460 came from a '72 Lincoln and I'm guessing they didn't have those types of heads back then. I suppose I will have to source new heads. Did you by chance find a clearer version of that vacuum diagrma?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM
steponit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can find Mil1ion for a better diagram on google or Ford Truck Fanatics

Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
I'll hit him up, thanks.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 AM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Buy new exhaust manifolds that have the air injection ports cast into them and find the tubes that hook them up.

What is the casting number on the heads?

You could always just "fake" the hookup of the air tube at the back of the motor. The truck might be able to pass the sniffer without the air working.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
The tubes attach to the heads, not the exhaust manifolds. I will have to check on the head numbers but I suspect the engine originally came from a 72 Lincoln and therefore no air ports on the rear of the heads.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:07 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
Buy new exhaust manifolds that have the air injection ports cast into them and find the tubes that hook them up.

What is the casting number on the heads?

You could always just "fake" the hookup of the air tube at the back of the motor. The truck might be able to pass the sniffer without the air working.
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat
The tubes attach to the heads, not the exhaust manifolds. I will have to check on the head numbers but I suspect the engine originally came from a 72 Lincoln and therefore no air ports on the rear of the heads.
Find exhaust manifolds that have the air injection ports built into them. I have seen them, they exist. It was a one or two year deal for certain 1 ton applications. I just looked and found the manifolds, now you need to find the tubes. PM numberdummy, he should be able to get you an OE part number to get you going. Your other solution I suppose is to slap on a set of heads with the ports.

75 76 77 78 Ford Econoline Van 460 Exhaust Manifold R: eBay Motors (item 310261158274 end time Oct-17-10 22:10:34 PDT)

Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM
v8only
Senior User
i've lived in cali my entire life and have been dealing here with the emissions my entire life..

this is super simple...just tell them it's a federal vehicle, and they'll smog it accordingly. for 78 that will give you the heavy duty designation, which means your 460 could have come from an f350, which has very little emissions on it.

I've done this twice now...once with a 78 bronco, the other my 77 f150...granted they were both out of state trucks, but the dso sticker is gone anyhow. Smog shops don't care...it's not a big deal...when they smog it, they simply choose federal vehicle or california vehicle in the computer, click the tab under the corresponding choice, then hit next.

california is a LOT easier than people think. 99.9 % of the smog techs out there don't give a damn about little things like that...hell I even had an 86 mustang that I dropped heads onto that didn't have the thermactor ports for the air injection on...so I removed the entire thermactor system, but left the smog pump on and just tubed it straight into the cats. LOL, the tech looked at the car carefully as best he could, didn't say **** and put n/a under thermactor system.

Your vehicle is too old...these techs don't know what came on them, don't care and don't want to bother looking it up. So long as you walk in there, tell them its a federal vehicle, point out the emissions which you say should be on there for a federal vehicle, then pay your smog fee, they're not gonna care.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
I'd be very happy to go the manifold air ports route if I could. The only thing is that all the documentation I have as far as schematics go do not show this as an option. At this point I have spoken to the smog referee and he is willing to give it a sticker if I have all the proper smog parts on it. Could I fudge and try to slip it by a smog shop? I suppose I could but since I am putting on 90% of the parts on anyway, I see no reason not to just finish it right and never have to worry about it again. Once you have the sticker, as long as the parts stay on the smog shops won't blink an eye.

However, should I try and go with those manifolds, I wonder exactly how they work. I have a similar setup on my 76 Blazer with smog legal Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers that have the air ports. I wonder if it is the same setup. On the normal 78 emissions for a 460 the crossover tube attaches to a single valve with one hose runnng to the front. I will have to try and find a schematic for an E series 460 and see what it has.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
steponit
Elder User
I was told to inform you that your diagram is waiting for you on another site.

Quick Reply: Cal. Smog Diagram Needed for 460