2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge and my 2004 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Edge and my 2004 4.6

After reading and agreeing with alot of what people say about the 4.6 feeling like it lacks power and get up and things of that nature. And also reading over and over about people and their Edges i kept my eye open for a used one on ebay and finally found one for $270, not VIN locked, which i thought was a good deal.

So i got it in the mail today and put it in. Set on level 2 Tow with .50 spark advance and +1 shift firmness.

All i have to say is WOW!!!!! Holly crap the throttle response and acceleration difference! It actually felt like i dropped a 5.4 in it, and im not kidding! Big hills that my truck struggled to get up and that i had to floor it to make up were taken with ease. I now barely have to push the pedal on normal acceleration to accelerate really good. I have been skeptical of how much these actually help, but after i drove it a couple miles i am convinced. These Edges are great!!! I updated it online and installed it and i love it. It just make the truck run so much better.

Anyone who is skeptical like me or wondering if it would help. YES! it does. I would deffinately recommend this to anyone that has a 4.6 and thinks its lacking! I dont know what else i can say, I would say its the best single 5 minute upgrade you could do for instant power!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 PM
klook
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge changes

Just a quick question if I may. I have the Edge and I have set my shift firmness up as much as +15 out of the possible 25 I think. I can detect no difference in my shifting. Can you feel anything at +1?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
I did feel the difference, it was slight but i did feel it, but i did feel it the most under harder acceleration. I do believe though that it is probably going to be different truck to truck. every truck feels different, and i think that even though there is 25 settings per shift that you will get to a point while adjusting up that it might not feel or do anything more. Thats just what i think, i could be wrong.

Your truck stock might shift fairly firm, and adjusting up real far might not feel like anything.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
I got one question. The truck runs great, when im trying to go up a hill in low RPMs i still have to give it some gas to get it to kick down a gear and get up the hill (its not real bad but it just caught my attention) But when it does kick down a gear its like i pushed a nitrous button and off i go. Is there somewhere i can set at how or when the truck downshifts?

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM
klook
Junior User
Shifts

I think the Edge allows you to change the shift points up as well as down. I know you can change the lockup for the converter in each gear. I just saw a post about running a tune makes the throttle response crazy at slow speeds. I thought it was the way the truck was made. It is nuts trying to take of slow in dirt or mud. Kind of makes me wonder what it will be like when we get some snow. Ah hell, I am going to put mine away for the winter and drive my old 95 Chevy.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
guys guys guys...don't you know?

You have a 4.6...a CAR ENGINE...it doesn't belong in a TRUCK.

However, now that you have found out that it works pretty nice in what we have, enjoy it.

As for adjusting the actual shift points, I can't remember if that was an option, but I do seem to remember a WOT shift point adjustment. I think.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
eatingdead
Freshman User
Originally Posted by klook
Just a quick question if I may. I have the Edge and I have set my shift firmness up as much as +15 out of the possible 25 I think. I can detect no difference in my shifting. Can you feel anything at +1?

I blew my trans from setting firmness so high. Them little servos in the trans couldn't deal with the fluid pressure and burt the trans slap up. Of course I run a super chip and not the Edge could be the difference. I know when I set mine to +1 I notice a huge difference really noticeable under hard acceleration. Almost feels like the old school shift kits...

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
I actually reset my shift firmness -2 cause i like to barely feel the shifts, and i dont do any hard accels. I know, i know, im a P**SY

Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Will my truck still learn my driving habits with the edge program in effect?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 AM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shouldn't be a problem with the truck learning its "strategy".

And as for shift firmness...you should set it a bit harder. Harder shift means less wear and tear on the clutch packs.

IIRC I have my shifts set for 1-2 at 15, and the rest at 10.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
nascar88ford
Senior User
xjcamaro89, hows your edge working? The truck still feel peppy? How is your mpg's?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Edge is working great! I love it! Truck still has pep! The one thing i need to play with is the TC lock and unlock. The TC doesnt unlock when going up a decent hill till im real low in RPMs like around 1100 then when it does unlock its like i push a nitrous button. The MPGs bounce around. I monitor them on the Edge with the average miles per gallon guage. When im on some country roads doin a constant 50-60 MPH for a couple miles before i have to stop at the occasional stop sign or red light my MPGs are up around 16, then when im in the city they bounce around 14-15. I havent had any constant highway readings to look at yet so i cant give you any idea on that. Other than that, the throttle response is better, the pull away power is better and the overall running of the truck is better. And all im running is the canned level 2 program.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
nascar88ford
Senior User
Mine is so sluggish. I just cleaned/ changed everything and it stuggles to do anything. The MAF and throttle body cleaning only helped for a week. I've been doing some reasearch and know a little about the edge now. Can you run the Level 2 on 87? I was just wondering what kind of power you saw coming out of it.
Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
I felt just like you explained, it almost feels like something could be wrong with the truck. But after the Edge, it completely turned the truck around, you would not beleive. You will have to get used to not pushing the gas peddle as much to get it going because it changes the response that much. If you find one i would not even hesitate to get it, you wont regret it. But if for some reason you do, you could always turn around and sell it on ebay for about $10 bucks less than what others are going for and not have a bit of problem getting rid of it.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
klook
Junior User
You might try unplugging the battery for at least half and hour or so. I resets the computer that has learned to drive like a granny.

Quick Reply: Edge and my 2004 4.6