Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Still stuck on tranny problems...need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:03 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still stuck on tranny problems...need help fast

So today I went to go and get my transmission flushed. It has been acting up for around 5 days now. I had to turn around and limp the truck home because I thought that I wasn't gonna make it. I thought at first that it was going out, but I'm not too sure now. On my way to the shop, the tranny started to give out. If I was just driving it easy, it would go through first gear then begin to shift to second but there would be no power I could rev the motor up but it just wouldn't move. It was like it was playing around in between gears. It did this in all the gears and the shifts were very weak. If I put it in the 1 position on the colomn and drove, all the power was there. It only gives out when it shifts. The shifts seem to be very delayed (about 5-8 seconds) and there is absolutely no power in between them. I can feel the tranny playing around like it wants to shift but it just takes it forever to decide which gear to go into. I also noticed that when I stopped at a light or stop sign, the tranny would not shift down into first until after the light turned green and I had already hit the go pedal, then it would SLAM!!!! into first gear and I would be on my way until time to change to second and then it would play around in between the gears again. If I forced it to stay in one gear, all of the power was there. I'm going to do a tranny flush and replace the filter on it Sunday to see if that changes anything, but does this sound like my tranny is shot?

Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Sounds like either you are low on fluid, or your pump is giving up and you are way down on line pressure.

If it's the pump, you likely have driven long enough with it slipping to generate enough friction to get it good and hot.

Does the fluid smell burnt?

Pop

Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
I'm going to do a tranny flush and replace the filter on it Sunday to see if that changes anything, but does this sound like my tranny is shot?
This is how the urban myth of a fluid change kills an older transmission gets started. This transmission is dead and new fluid will not help it at all.

Pull the trans and rebuild or replace it.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
If its done, then why does it only act up when it is shifting. The power is there in all of the gears once it finally shifts to them.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:43 PM
nor1168
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its done, then why does it only act up when it is shifting. The power is there in all of the gears once it finally shifts to them.
my 01 did many of the things you are describing and some other things i could shift it manually but couldn't run it in drive after it warmed up
took it to a rebuilder he pulled it a part and found that the diode clutch that ford put in 01s had went bad nothing else he fixing it right now and in stalling the tugger kit for me

Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I can come up with two possibilities.

First, your trans most likely has a mechanical diode one way clutch. If it does, it's dying. The other possibility is that one or more of your clutches are worn out. That will make the shifts long and slippery, but what's left of the clutch will usually hold once it gets the parts stopped. That's the difference between dynamic and static friction. It's a lot easier to hold something than to get it to stop.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Clint, it may be a few hour drive but if you buy the parts and get the trans to me, I'd build it for you at no charge on my spare time. PM me if you want to discuss it. Heck, I might even be able to meet you in Charlotte and meet up with Barry.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nissandoc
Clint, it may be a few hour drive but if you buy the parts and get the trans to me, I'd build it for you at no charge on my spare time. PM me if you want to discuss it. Heck, I might even be able to meet you in Charlotte and meet up with Barry.
Darrell, you are the MAN! I tried to rep ya, but the rep police got me. Thats awesome man, plain and simple.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
I got him for ya huck!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:10 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you rebuild mine too Darrell, I'll be down in Raliegh on Tue-wed... all jokes aside except the trip, outstanding and generous offer, reps to yaa..

Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nissandoc
Great offer Darrell!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I might get with you on that darrell. I'm gonna do a little more investigating myself and see if I can't pinpoint the problem. My tranny was already replaced by the previous owner at around 60000 miles. Wouldn't they have fixed the diode problem then?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I have some new news. I took the truck out yesterday after it sat for two days. The tranny didn't give any trouble. I was driving for about an hour and a half. Later on yesterday evening I went for a ride again, but this time I put it in the 140 tune on my DP and it started acting up, but only after it got warm. What is this a sign of? I will be replacing the Transmission filter and the fluid today to see if that helps anything.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
This is how the urban myth of a fluid change kills an older transmission gets started. This transmission is dead and new fluid will not help it at all.

Pull the trans and rebuild or replace it.

Agreed, there is no reason a trans flush should affect a properly operating transmission. If anything, it will help it.

Anytime anyone ASKS for a trans flush, I always question why. Many times you find someone trying to fix a problem on an already suspect transmission and they seem to "forget" they were having an issue if the flush is done and the trans messes up or fails.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I have some new news. I took the truck out yesterday after it sat for two days. The tranny didn't give any trouble. I was driving for about an hour and a half. Later on yesterday evening I went for a ride again, but this time I put it in the 140 tune on my DP and it started acting up, but only after it got warm. What is this a sign of? I will be replacing the Transmission filter and the fluid today to see if that helps anything.
Clarify acting up, doing what you described earlier? Could just be lucky that the diode was working or catching, or because you upped the power the trans couldn't hold it because of low pressure from worn seals etc or weak/worn friction. there is a possibility that the pressure control sol isn't working right, but even if it is replacing just that at this point probably won't help in the short term long run.

Quick Reply: Still stuck on tranny problems...need help fast