Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Screech noise after cold air intake install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screech noise after cold air intake install

Installed a s & b cold air intake couple weeks ago. I have noticed a best described as a screetching noise when the truck shifts or I let off the gas. Its a momentary thing and goes away quickly. I dont think its surge, its not happening under load and doesnt begin to buck or stall, but its most certainly related to the cold air intake install... Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
That's your turbo "barking". It's not great for the turbo, but not as bad as surge. Mine still does that when I really get into it, as do many trucks. It's more when I let off the throttle abruptly, though.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Izzy351
That's your turbo "barking". It's not great for the turbo, but not as bad as surge. Mine still does that when I really get into it, as do many trucks. It's more when I let off the throttle abruptly, though.
And its related to too much air?Any way to stop it without spending a fortune? I thought more air was better for your truck?What exactly is happening to make it screetch? Hopefully im describing the sound correctly cause it really doesnt sound like barking.. Just high pitched screetch almost like a loose belt noise...But i know its not a belt, new belt and happened right after intake install

Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
hhmmm... Did you check to make sure your wheel doesn't have too much play? First thing I would do is pull the intake and see if the wheel is hitting the housing. If it's not, then the barking noise is normal, but is usually described more like a Darth Vader breathing. What's happening is that as you push all that air in with the turbo when you're in the upper RPM range, it has to go somewhere as the engine & turbo RPM drop when you shift. It just comes back out the intake, which you probably just didn't hear with the stock intake.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Izzy351
hhmmm... Did you check to make sure your wheel doesn't have too much play? First thing I would do is pull the intake and see if the wheel is hitting the housing. If it's not, then the barking noise is normal, but is usually described more like a Darth Vader breathing. What's happening is that as you push all that air in with the turbo when you're in the upper RPM range, it has to go somewhere as the engine & turbo RPM drop when you shift. It just comes back out the intake, which you probably just didn't hear with the stock intake.
Ok ill have to pull the intake later and see if the wheel has any play in it.. But never heard it before the new intake... If the wheel is bad would i have heard this noise with the stock intake??

Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

What is that wheel called?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
The intake wheel itself isn't the problem (unless it's chewed up and needs replaced). The issue is worn turbo thrust bearing/bushings. You can get a rebuild kit which replaces all those wear items and you'll have essentially a brand new turbo. Several of us here have rebuilt our turbos -- it's easily done with simple hand tools.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

I also wonder if its a leak at the turbo exit? I replaced exhaust same day i did cold air intake from turbo back with mbrp exhaust... Hard to believe it would be that because that clamp on the turbo to exhaust is pretty hard to not get a seal but who knows...

Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
99F-350CrewCab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine started doing that after I did the air filter mod. I don't think it's actually doing anything new, I think I can just hear it now since the stock air box is gone. It almost sounds like a blow off valve on a turbo charged gasoline engine. I think it's just the sound of the turbo slowing down since the exhaust side of the turbo is seeing less flow when the fuel is cut. Probably just a pressure wave reflecting back up the intake tubing from hitting the turbo that is now slowed down. It's not very loud and unless I'm trying to do it, or have the window down I don't hear it.

Does this sound like what you are describing?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 99F-350CrewCab
Mine started doing that after I did the air filter mod. I don't think it's actually doing anything new, I think I can just hear it now since the stock air box is gone. It almost sounds like a blow off valve on a turbo charged gasoline engine. I think it's just the sound of the turbo slowing down since the exhaust side of the turbo is seeing less flow when the fuel is cut. Probably just a pressure wave reflecting back up the intake tubing from hitting the turbo that is now slowed down. It's not very loud and unless I'm trying to do it, or have the window down I don't hear it.

Does this sound like what you are describing?
Very well could be...Who knows,I just want to make sure its nothing wrong.. My gut says it might be normal..

Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

shameless bump

Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the same 'whooshing', or 'sucking through a straw' sound after I put in my 6637. I'm fairly certain this sound was always there, just muffled when the stock airbox was in.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think because the S-B flows more air, your hearing more air getting in there, unless you got a slight leak at the tube connections like mentioned above.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by binuya
I got the same 'whooshing', or 'sucking through a straw' sound after I put in my 6637. I'm fairly certain this sound was always there, just muffled when the stock airbox was in.
Im gonna assume this is my case as well..Whatever this noise is only appeared the first ride after cold air intake install..There is no loss of boost or hesitation ,only symptom is the noise and most of time its not noticeable.Ill pull the intake tube tomorrow just to make sure there is no play on the wheel..Other then that I guess I wont worry..

Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by big poppa pump
I think because the S-B flows more air, your hearing more air getting in there, unless you got a slight leak at the tube connections like mentioned above.
I will have to double check the tube connections too...thanks

Quick Reply: Screech noise after cold air intake install