6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Heaviest load you pulled

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I wasn't, you are running a 5th wheel, so provided you don't exceed the limitation of your axle weights/ tires, and your trailer has enough brakes to stop itself, you're fine.

I was more suggesting that when you load a truck so the frame bends, triple what you are allowed to put on the rear axle and call that ok, that's a bit crazy. Bottom line is that even where I am, you can get overweight permits for whatever weight you want. The caveat is that they assume and expect you don't exceed what the truck is designed to do. Any permits are invalid in the case of say, putting 13,000 lbs on the ball because your rear axle would be over by a mile. I can't recall the tongue weight max on a class V hitch but I know it's not more than the truck can pack IN the box, that's just common sense. And any load you pull off highway really doesn't count, since that's not really endangering anyone but yourself. And I know it wasn't you that said this but oversize permits are not the same as over weight permits.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM
cabinman
Senior User
re overweight loads etc

Originally Posted by PorchFarms
All of my trucks are under my dot number and my truck is tagged for 32000 pounds. When you have a job to do and you have two semis hauling the cotton pickers and one hauling tractors plus an international 4700 hauling a builder and my truck hauling one people stay out of the way. We usually take up about one and a half miles of road at a time. The pickers are 12 feet wide the tractors 10 and the builders 10. All are permited for oversize loads.
Sorry man, but I can tag mine for 50K if I want to but that doesn't mean they won't haul me off the road once they realize my truck can't possibly legally do that. The GCVWR is not even close to 32k on an F350, tow boss or not, doesn't matter. And as I already mentioned, oversize loads are not the same as overweight loads. You can't even get an overweight permit here for loads that are reducible. You can only get a GVW increase to the max of your truck. To save our roads, they make you break reducible loads up so the weight per axle is such that it doesn't rut our roads. I would expect it isn't much different where you are either since the rules are so close on both sides of the border in so many respects. The only thing I see a lot of is that the people who are supposed to properly explain the rules, don't, and so there's a lot of confusion as to what you can and can't do. I don't think that's right either, the people who run the system should know the rules better, and be better at conveying them to people who don't really need to know everything, they just want to know what they can and can't do in simple terms.

Anyway, best to you all the same.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 AM
PorchFarms
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought the gcvwr on a 350 pulling a dual tandem gooseneck rated at 20000 pounds was 31500. The gvwr is 11500 plus 20000 for the trailer. To get my permits i have to give vin numbers on everything plus the weight of everything. So they know what i am hauling with what. Never been turned down for a permit. Plus i am bonded with the state for hauling my equipment.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 AM
cabinman
Senior User
Link included to GCVWR for F350's

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited There are tabs up top for each model, ie. reg cab, ext cab, crew cab.

Those are the specs for the trucks we're talking about. The truck that can pack the largest weight is the F350, SRW, no crew cab, no options, no 4x4 because everything you add to that frame reduces it's "packing" ability. People with Dual rear wheels always think they can tow more, not so, less actually, less by the weight of the tires and heavier rear end. The tow boss with it's 4.30's can carry more weight by virtue of it's gearset and heavier Dana 80 rear end but it's not listed and is an exception. But don't get me wrong, the duallies are way more stable, there's no questioning that and loaded I still think more tires=better. The heaviest load you can carry on the barebones f-350 is 16,500lbs on a 5th wheel, but the chart doesn't support that for some reason. I think it's in my owners manual. I remember reading that somewhere but that was a couple years ago. Essentially anything over that would be beyond the design capabilities according to Ford and out DOT and our insurance providers would nullify the coverage. Now that doesn't mean you can't insure for more than it's allowed but if you're in an accident, you're done like dinner. That's what I hate about this system, they'll take your money but unless you know the rules, you could be out running around thinking you're insured but actually, you aren't.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM
cabinman
Senior User
Hello Porchfarms -

Originally Posted by PorchFarms
i thought the gcvwr on a 350 pulling a dual tandem gooseneck rated at 20000 pounds was 31500. The gvwr is 11500 plus 20000 for the trailer. To get my permits i have to give vin numbers on everything plus the weight of everything. So they know what i am hauling with what. Never been turned down for a permit. Plus i am bonded with the state for hauling my equipment.

Yes we have to give all that stuff too, but they don't cross reference the data ( at least here they don't ) They do have a computer that once they know the weights and axle spacing they can tell if it's loaded properly but even if you were way over, they wouldn't know because the data in their computer doesn't tell them what you're truck is allowed to do. They would have to look it up on the door sticker or somewhere. The bottom line is they just want your money here, and they leave it up to you know the rules and what you are allowed to do. The only thing they have done to improve the situation is make people like me get special licenses to haul any trailer over 10,600 lbs. It is a commercial operators test, pre trip, road test and all. In that course, they explain all the rules and how to tell what you can and can't do. Without that, no one would have a clue. They even added an endorsement for 5th wheel vacation trailers over 12,600 lbs. ( finally ) .

Old 12-25-2009, 12:32 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say they were the heaviest things I've pulled with the truck...but they're the oddest thing I've ever pulled.