1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mice Patrol ....what keeps these crirtters out of my trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B/B ford
I seem to remember someone on here saying that a chunk of Zest soap by each wheel will keep the mice out, anybody else remember that?
No, but they do smell much better!!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It twas Irihs Spring Soap The fuzzy littlr buggers find it much b etter to sleep apon.
The also employ thr Dryer Sheets as blankets - and that just after a rousing came of moth ball bowling

Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
41Clay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can just see the mice walking to their doom like lemmings.

I have a book with a bunch of old projects from the turn of last century with a dozen or so homemade mouse traps ideas. I rember one was to burry a large open jar in the yard with a piece of cheese in the bottom. I'm sure their is a finite amount of vermine which could be trapped plus I've had mice jump out of boxes. Water is a great idea, no jumping there.

Mice chew through most everything. If you really want them out of your tailpipe, use chicken wire or a metal can. Of course they do nest on engines too....

Clayton

Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
So the antifreeze in a bucket in the closed barn baited and a board for them to walk into it.....hmmmm......ok
Outside will be some Irish spring and some peanut butter in baited traps....maybe in the bed.....and the wife said no to the cats living in the barn.....and they do like to jump on my new paint.....so that will be ok.
I drove the avanti 2 dayss ago and the mice are still wanting back into the exhaust.....what a pain in the a@#@!!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Ford52F2
Mountain Pass
Works on squirrels too, but don't scatter them through out your attic. You'll be sorry, two floor house that stinks down to the basements.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I really detest the smell of mothballs........do the electronic devices you buy work?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one of those electronic high frequency rodent chaser offer things in the storage room and the mouse droppings right in front of the small blinking light (to say it's working) say no such luck.

Your experience may very. :-)

I'm tossing in my vote for the peanut butter. The mice agree!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
How about a big nasty spiked collared pit bull with aids ?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
LOL......LOL.....No but 3 dogs that are squirrel chasers.....and they love to chase mice and moles.....but I need more to combat all these damn mice....Bill

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
DadOh1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A cat!
A million mice are in our general neighborhood, but none in my house or garage, just a very fat cat that we rarely feed. But at least once a week the dang cat leaves just enough of a part of a mouse on my porch to prove he got one!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
electronic rodent chasers, the biggest joke since pet rocks! (and about as useful... no wait, less so, at least you could throw the rock at the mice. )

Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I had Terri pick up more Irish spring for the trucks.....hope this works

Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
It twas Irihs Spring Soap The fuzzy littlr buggers find it much b etter to sleep apon.
The also employ thr Dryer Sheets as blankets - and that just after a rousing came of moth ball bowling
Nice brogue you have there, Dick.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
LOL.......DICK is an IRISHER

Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey rtcalabrojr

I live in what is refereed to around here as the "Boonies" and have had mice in my tool box many times making nests in my sockets and so on. Anyway they were fine here and there once in a while in the pole barn I used as a shop until they moved into my 69 F250. The truck had sat for almost a year while I was rebuilding the axles and transfercase and when I fired her up to go for a spin on the new running gear it did not run quite right. 429's need air and this one was choking for sure… but on what? I noticed the driver side seat was a lil lower than I remembered as well.

So I pull the air cleaner and it is full of what looks like dirty cotton. Well crap… 2 and 2 ran together in my head and I looked under the driver's side seat and most of the padding was gone. While I was trying to figure out how they got through the firewall I found another mouse condo in the wiring under the dash and the glove box was full as well.

Now I am a live and let live person but I draw the line firmly at messing with my trucks! Mouse traps… is what popped into my head but I was not up to the mouse goo all over so I thought up a way to move the mice out. At this point in my life my friends and I were into paintball, potato cannons, quadrunners and 4X4's. So my first thought was to launch the lil fuzzballs into orbit… Hmmmm

I took about 6 feet of 1.5 inch PVC and glued a T connector at one end. Then I put a 2 inch piece of PVC and then a threaded adapter on the leg end with a screw-on PVC cap. Then I put a threaded adapter on the straight through end. I then screwed a 1.5 Inch ball valve to the T and a short nipple to the valve and then this was screwed into an old air brake tank I got off one of my Studebaker 6X6's. With a small air cylinder fixed to the handle of the valve and a return spring on the other side it was now possible to open the big ball valve with the small air cylinder. I scrounged an electric eye setup out of an old paper shredder and drilled a hole about 6 inches before the PVC T connector and hot glued the eye across from the other half of the setup. Now I built a small over center lock so the small air cylinder could be filled with 125 PSI and not move. I plugged an air hose into the main tank at a brass fitting I silver soldered closed. I then drilled a small "number 35 or so drill bit" hole through the center of the brass air fitting. This made the main tank fill rather slowly and the reason I did this was to give the air in the small cylinder time to bleed back into the main tank and reset the ball valve. The small air cylinder was plumbed into the main tank and was pushed open by the main tank pressure, which was the same as the air system in the shop.

This settup was dubbed the mouse cannon and the way it worked was simple. Remove the screw on cap at the 1.5 inch PVC T and fill cap with something tasty and screw the cap back on. Hook air to tank and wait. The cannon was setup in front of a hole in the side of the shop that a pipe had been run through by the PO and was where the mice were coming into the shop. I attached the cannon to the wall about 6 inches away from and pointing through the hole.

Now the mouse goes down the 6 feet of PVC looking for the food at the end of the tasty smell. When mouse crosses electric eye path the solenoid goes POP and kicks the latch over center allowing the small air cylinder to move. With a direct path into the main tank the small cylinder wastes no time at 125-PSI moving against the reset spring and throwing the big ball valve wide open.

Exit Mouse Shop Left at about 120 miles an hour making the lil furry ball the neighbors problem… in the next city.

Now with no pressure in the main tank the spring pushes the small cylinder back to the over center latch before the restricted input air can fill the main tank back to 125 PSI.

About 2 minutes to reset and ready for next launch.

Launch times were about once an hour for about a month and then about once a day or so for the rest of the time I lived there.

Cyrus

This was from a post i started awhile back. This was one of the funniest things i ever read!!!

Quick Reply: Mice Patrol ....what keeps these crirtters out of my trucks?