Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The New

marketplace sucks!!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Are you refering to the FTE Marketplace Forum? Or just the world marketplace in general?

I'll agree with you, either way, just wondering.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Serg450
Posting Guru
That would be FTE Marketplace.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
What do you have issues with it?
Like any features on here - you are welcome to provide feedback on it
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...assifieds.html

We changed the system due to feedback (and a lack of participation in the classifieds that were separate from the forums)

Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Can't speak for Serg, but chances are that he didn't find what he was looking for. That sucks no matter what the venue.

As far as I can tell, the Marketplace works as it is supposed to.

Adrian, you mentioned participation. Has it improved with the new forum layout? Just wondering, because when I'm interested in buying something, FTE Marketplace is probably pretty low on my list of shopping sites. No particular reason, other than I just don't have much expectation of finding anything. I'm more likely to go directly to a sponsors site.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I'm more likely to go directly to a sponsors site.
Then this will be right up your alley, Bill (so to speak)

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Vendor Directory

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
Can't speak for Serg, but chances are that he didn't find what he was looking for.
Thats fair enough - it hasn't really had an opportunity to be populated with listings for sale yet - I believe it will improve.
Adrian, you mentioned participation. Has it improved with the new forum layout? Just wondering, because when I'm interested in buying something, FTE Marketplace is probably pretty low on my list of shopping sites. No particular reason, other than I just don't have much expectation of finding anything. I'm more likely to go directly to a sponsors site.
Steve has listed our vendor directory, which will be publicly announced later this week, but as for participation, its currently a little up (nothing really noticeable).
I would expect this to increase substantially over time however as more and more people post items up, participation begets participation.

The biggest catalyst in the change was me comparing the utilization of FTE's classifieds in comparison to some of the other largest forums out there.
FTE's classifieds comprised about 2% of the site.
On our other sites that use forums for classifieds it was over 30%.
The only conclusion i could come to about this is that people don't use classifieds outside of the forums for a couple reasons:
  1. It isn't as simple as posting in a forum
  2. Its not within a forum (i.e. people aren't going to just browse through a forum section)
  3. It doesn't allow the simple "back and forth" that a forum offers

In my mind, if people were trying to find Ford parts (and/or trucks) they weren't utilizing FTE's Classifieds, and we as a site are providing our users a disservice if we don't have an easy and appropriate place to find parts etc.. The old classifieds looked nice, but that doesn't really matter if people aren't there!
In making them forums we didn't want the "Craigslist" type setup (I for one get lost and overwhelmed when I use that site and I am looking for something specific) and build in the capacity to easily constrain the items that you are specifically after.
Being in a forum it also makes it easy for moderators to move posts that are "for sale" ads in the technical forums to their proper home.

It isn't perfect of course (it was merely a "brain dump" of what I thought a classifieds should be), and I am open to any suggestions as to how to improve it.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Yes the market place sucks now, it's so much harder to find stuff.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Serg450
Posting Guru
As stated by Orng1 it is just to much work to find anything. Before you would just click on classified and you could start looking. Now it seems you have to click click click click just to get to start looking. I understand your reasoning for changing things. I just don't care for this new setup. Thats just my opinion. I hope for the site it works out. As for me well I look else were now.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Then this will be right up your alley, Bill (so to speak)

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Vendor Directory
Hey, that is nice! Especially those listings where the proprietor uses a marquee and has filled in the Specializing In field.

Search this Thread