1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Curiosity About Selling My Truck ?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curiosity About Selling My Truck ?!

Times being what they are and a up-and-coming teenage driver in my house I was thinking about what my truck would bring if I were to sell. It was last insured with Hagerty for 25K without questions but I dont know if that really means much.
If you have time, look at my gallery or any link posted here and give your thoughts on what you think would be a good pricepoint....? Afterall, you are the experts.
thanks, Ed
osborne?s 1954 Ford F-100 - Pictures, Ratings, Specs, & Modifications ? Classic Trucks

Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, what a beatiful truck! I have no idea but its a great looking truck!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't think we really have any "Experts" here, just enthusiasts. It's hard to put a price on a truck. The value an owner puts on a truck is usually a bit higher than what a buyer will have. You listed the modifications you did to your truck, while all of these might be top quality mods some one else might think you butchered a nice truck, which in their eyes dimishes the value.

The best place to start is a old car value magazine. Old Cars Weekly has one you can find at almost any news stand or magazine rack at your favorite store. They will list values for vehicles like yours in, I think, five levels of quality from a parts truck to a 100 point show truck. You have to decide where your truck falls in the scale.

You also mentioned the ""Times being what they are", a year or a year and half ago you might have been able to throw a price out there and have the truck sold in a day. Now money's not as free flowing as it was then and you probably won't be able to get nearly as much as you could ave back then. If you're desperate to sell be prepared to swallow and take less than what you think it's worth.

Do you need to sell the truck? I'm sure you have heard people talk about a vehicle they had in the past and wish they hadn't sold it. Think of all the work you've put into the truck and all the memories. Will you have strong regrets a year or two down the road that you sold it? These old trucks are getting harder to find in decent restoreable condition. Maybe you could hold onto it for a while and weather any financial storm that is brewing, or is occurring right now. I know personally right now things are really tight for our family, business has been slow and can just make needed payments, no other frills, but I know I'll get through it. If I sold my trucks now I know I wouldn't be able to buy them back. My F-2 has too much sentimental value I would rather burn it than sell it, as far as I'm concerned it will never, ever leave. The other two, well maybe.

One more thing, you also mentioned you have up and coming drivers. Are they interested in the truck? I'm not saying give it to them to hot rod around in but for the occasional special event would they take good care of it and drive it responsibly? It would only add your personal value if your kids can get some enjoyment out of it. Both of my sons recently got their lincense and I let them drive my trucks. If in the event that they cause some damage to them I will be very upset but they'll have to help fix them. My trucks are here for us to enjoy. Were any of them involved in the restoration? If so, that right there is a value that a price can't be attached to for you and them.

I would think it over long and hard before selling, then check out the pricing books. Go on eBay and see what comparable trucks sold for. Check only the completed sales, too many sellers are dreamers and start bidding at a high price, or hidden reserve and you won't be able to get a good idea from looking at trucks currently up for auction. A few years ago every rust bucket piece of junk sold on eBay, today I see a lot of them go unsold.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
You are right, the insurance company numbers are not much indication of true value. It's a very sharp truck. In the past, I have been able to sell completed projects for much of my cash parts investment. The million hours of labor was a charitable donation for the priviledge of building it. I know this advice doesn't answer your question. If you build a vehicle that isn't particularly rare, and don't lose a considerable amount of money you are luckier than most. That said, if that buyer comes along and you have have built his dream truck, you just never know.

I have seen trucks similar to yours sell for far less than $20,000. (Yes I do have a good idea what it can cost to build a nice truck) I have also seen lesser trucks with $45,000 prices in the window at Pigeon Forge. As Bob suggests, I would look at closed online auctions and you'll have a good idea for a starting price point. If your area is economically depressed right now, then you definitely want national exposure, no matter how you choose to advertise it. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
You are right, the insurance company numbers are not much indication of true value. It's a very sharp truck. In the past, I have been able to sell completed projects for much of my cash parts investment. The million hours of labor was a charitable donation for the priviledge of building it. I know this advice doesn't answer your question. If you build a vehicle that isn't particularly rare, and don't lose a considerable amount of money you are luckier than most. That said, if that buyer comes along and you have have built his dream truck, you just never know.
very true, very true

Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would say it's worth about $2500. So, to help you out I'll send you a check for that right away and have someone come by on Wednesday to pick it up.

The things I do for you guys!

Seriously, that is beautiful.

Don't sell it or you will regret it for the rest of your life - find another way. My 55 has been gone now for 25 years and I still KICK myself every day!

Even if you sell it you will buy another one anyway later - bet ya!, and spend lots to fix it up. Just keep this one and avoid that whole circle thing.