'92 5.0 build

Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'92 5.0 build

hey guys. i'm getting ready to build this 5.0 so i can drop it in my '94 f-150. the engine is from a '92 f-150 and is an SD engine. so far i have all new pistons, rings, cam bearings, piston bearings, main bearings, oil pump, etc. for it. the pistons are 9.08:1 flat tops, btw.

my question here is i'm lost with doing the MAF conversion. i have a MAF harness from a mustang i believe that a buddy gave me, but i haven't gotten the MAF sensor yet or a computer. is that all i need now? my plan is to use an E303 cam and get a decent set of heads and intake manifold for it. would i need a larger MAF sensor than what came stock on the mustangs? Or a larger throttle body????

i don't know much about these engines yet, but i'm slowly learning. i was hoping someone here could help me decide on a decent set of heads, rockers, and intake manifold thats not too terribly expensive, but will still send me to 300hp or so with out a blower. i also don't know things like what size injectors to use and things like that.

I know this is a lot of questions, but i'm trying to get it all figured out. i haven't found a good place to buy all these things yet either so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
GT40 heads and Explorer intake will get you there, and use a computer and matched MAF meter from the same car if at all possible. 19lb injectors and the stock Explorer TB is all that's required too.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
stock GT40 heads and the stock explorer intake and TB, 19lb injectors, and matched MAF will get 300 hp?? wow, that's actually impressive. haha

i will look for the explorer parts, but where would be a good place to buy the gt40 heads???? i found a BBk ssi intake last night on CL for 300 bucks. thought about that, but dang that's expensive!!! will the BBK intake get much more power than the explorer intake??? also if i buy a used MAF how would i know if it's calibrated for 19lb injectors?? which cars came stock with the 19lb injectors and MAF? thanks again. i just can't figure out which parts to look for. i have been simply searching for parts off 5.0 mustangs since there were gobs of them so i have a better chance of finding parts.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
stock GT40 heads and the stock explorer intake and TB, 19lb injectors, and matched MAF will get 300 hp?? .
An all stock 5.0HO will do 275-280hp with no intake or exhaust restrictions, swap on the GT40 components and there you go 300+ hp. If you're building a motor then it won't be any problem at all because you'll probably use a cam with more lift than the HO anyway. GT40 heads appeared on the '96-97.5 Explorer and '93-95 Mustang Cobra. The GT40p heads appeared on the '97-2k Explorer and actually perform a little better again. Look for the letters GT or GTP in the top corner of the head..

i found a BBk ssi intake last night on CL for 300 bucks. thought about that, but dang that's expensive!!! will the BBK intake get much more power than the explorer intake???.
This intake is't worth the $$ according to the mustang guys, it looks impressive but doesn't improve much if any over the Explorer intake.

also if i buy a used MAF how would i know if it's calibrated for 19lb injectors?? which cars came stock with the 19lb injectors and MAF? thanks again.
As stated it's best to get a maf and computer from the same car if at all possible.. that's a matched pair and will perform best. Any maf car with orange top(19lb) injectors is what you want, mustang, T-bird, Cougar Xr7. You could also use one from a MAF truck or explorer if that's all you can find.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
right on. i will continue my search on the MAF/ computer. the one mustang A9L and MAF from the same car got sold before i got to it..

i was looking into doing the e303 cam or the trick flow street heat or something similar. don't wanna use a comp or edelbrock though.. i havent been too successful in finding any gt 40 heads. is there anywhere you can buy these new for a decent price?? i'm kinda iffy about buying used heads since they may be cracked or have screwed up valve seats or something. i no i could get them magnafluxed, but by then i would spend just as much as new heads i think.

My thoughts so far for parts is cam, heads, intake man., MAF, Ford Racing shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust w/ cat shells and flowmaster super 44's with an h-pipe. i already have all new bearings and the 9.08:1 flat tops too.

do you think with the slightly bigger cam and these pistons i will have valve clearance issues???

Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many years ago you could buy gt-40s from ford racing , junkyard or craigs list ussally has some good heads on there from guys parting out there 5.0 stangs . I would go with long tube headers , i run an e-303 cam with 1.72 RR on a 302 HO short block with no problems...Lew

Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
what tranny do you have in your truck? if its an e4od then you will need to find a mass air setup out of a bronco or f150 from 93-95. a mustang computer and harness wont control the tranny thus requireing a baumenator stand alone tranny computer.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:11 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
the truck has a 5 speed manual so no computer issues there.

i'm not sure i wanna use 1.72 RR due to the fact that i have 9.08:1 flat tops going in it.

i have been looking into kits more and more and i gotta just ask. can i make as much power as the Trick flow street heat kit using gt40 heads and upper/lower intake off a mustang or something for quite a bit cheaper? i can get explorer intake or cobra intake for around 100 bucks i know, but the heads i haven't found many of. i found a lot of gt40p heads, but i don't want to have to use special headers, which i hear you need for those heads.

what combos are some of y'all using for cam, heads, RR's, TB, MAF, etc.???

Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The P heads aren't as hard to deal with as some make it seem, as long as you don't try to use equal length shorties it's not a big deal.. use plug wires with 90 deg boots and maybe some heat shielding wrap and that's about it. The P heads out flow the regular GT40's and produce more compression(smaller combustion chamber) so it can be worth the trouble.

The P heads with a ported explorer lower and matching upper and the right cam will get fairly close to a Trickflow package but still not quite there.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
ok. im still trying to find these parts.. haha. i went and looked at a set of P heads yesterday and they were rusted too much for me to trust and the cam the guy had was in the same shape.. if i don't find some heads soon i'm going to just spend the money on the kit. needing to get this truck on the road. tired of lookin' at it without an engine and tranny in it. hahaha

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
77custom408
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out a company called powerheads, i think they sell GT40 heads along with port work for Ford heads. When i got my 93 Cobra i did alot of research and i remember them selling regular GT40 heads

Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
cmcolfax
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No JY's by you?

The coupla good ones here usually have several 5.0L Exploders and the motors are not too picked over...

Just a thought.

-cmc-

Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i have decided to use some gt-40p heads now guys, sorry i haven't been back in awhile.. been busy, but if i use these heads will the ford racing shorty headers fit them? i don't want heads that i can't hardly find headers for. thanks. oh and if i get some gt-40p heads then have them ported they should be capable of matching trickflows power right??? thanks again guys. these heads are much cheaper than the trick flows so thats why i'm going this route. LoL

Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Make sure you find out how much this porting is going to cost you and how much porting work this guy has done on Ford small block motors. If it's little or none then forget about it they will perform worse than stock when you get them back.. yes that is posible. If you use an Explorer intake on this motor the lower will need to be ported some to balance the runners and to match the GT40p heads, have a look for Tom Moss and tmoss porting on the web, this guy knows how to make this stuff perform.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Mike Murillo is not very far from me so i'm sure he can do it there. he only has the record for the fastest street legal 5.0L fox stang. haha.

The reason i'm wanting to buy these new rather than a junk yard is b/c i simply just don't trust many junk yards and i want this engine to last another 200,000 miles in the same shape it's in right now. dont need used parts going into it.

So what headers do i have to get for the gt40P's???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '92 5.0 build