Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

body lift on a 91 diesel???

Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lift on a 91 diesel???

ive been searching around and cant seem to find a clear answer. i was wondering if i could do a 3 inch body lift on my 91 f250 diesel. ive heard that you cant get them for psd but how bout on the idi? would this be a good investment since i only want it for bigger tires? i do not off road my truck. also, how hard would this be to install at home? thanks

Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all a bod lift is is biger body mounts u can make them easy i have a 3 inch body lif on mine

Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
how do you make them?? also is there a way to raise the bumpers or do you need to buy something special?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
here just chunk of hard ruber i think the bumber shoud move with body but u have to think about steering linkage wireing fuel filler necks

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
if i were to take it to a shop and have them install it would they do everything necessary or just put the actual body lift on and make me pay more for the other things? i was just wondering about all this cause i road in my friends 97 f250 today and he just had the body lift installed and he said that diesels cant get body lifts

Old 10-16-2009, 01:17 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
ask him y hes says that i have a bodt lift on mine it depend on the shop u take it to u have to call and ask around each shop is diffrent

Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all a body lift does is well.....lift the body.your buddy dont now what he is talking about saying you cant body lift a diesel.that just makes no sense.if you buy a kit it will come with everything you need to do it including a bumper relocater for front and rear.if you go more than a 3" then you will have to start extending things like steering shaft and brake lines.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually unless a few things are longer on the newer trucks, you may have problems using a 3" lift.

On my 86 I had to manufacture an ebrake cable mounting bracket with a 2" lift.
Cable was tight as a banjo string using the stock mount.

Transfer case linkage had to be modified since the shifter was hitting the floor pan before you could get the transfer case out of 4x4 hi.

Make darn sure you have plenty of steering shaft lap in the slip joint.
Bad news if that comes unhooked when you hit a bump while driving.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 PM
99SevenPoint3
Elder User
i think they dont make a actual kit for the diesels because it messes up the alignment with the fan clutch and radiator so if u were to tow for a certain period of time u might have some overheating problems. but could you take a body lift made for a f250 or f350 gasser n use it on ur diesel yes u can...

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM
yotee
Senior User
what size tires are you planning on running that you need a body lift? i run 38.5" tires and don't need a b/l.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Modifications to the fan shroud so it can be relocated with the correct fan clearance takes care of the radiator issue.

My reason for the 2" lift I used was for 3" down pipe clearance, not bigger tires.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do buy a kit make sure it is as complete as possible. The majority of them will require the installer to buy and or fabricate some parts.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 99SevenPoint3
i think they dont make a actual kit for the diesels because it messes up the alignment with the fan clutch and radiator so if u were to tow for a certain period of time u might have some overheating problems. but could you take a body lift made for a f250 or f350 gasser n use it on ur diesel yes u can...
That was the reason I was given when I looked into installing one... and you are right any body lift will work as long as it is for the same vintage truck.

Like dave said a quick relacation of the fan shroud will take care of the rad issue... you can even take it farther and add a filler at the top of the rad too cover the portion of the shroud that no longer covers the rad to aide in cooling. What you dont want to do is leave the shroud where it is and cut the shroud/fan opening as this will just take away from the fans ability to pull air.

I have the same year and make of truck the op has and I installed a 2'' body lift. I was told that you cant get b/l for the diesels because of the cooling issue... I found out later that the other reason body lifts are not recommended is the fact that they can cause the cylinder head to hit the firewall and cause a nasty rattle.

From what I know having installed a b/l on my truck and reading up on it is the 3'' bodylift is more work than it's worth and you would be better off sticking with a 2''.

It may not bee a problem for you southern folks... but if you live in an area where our trucks get allot of rain or worse snow and salt, the budy mounts and bolts can be absolutely horrible to get out...there a PITA to begin with.

A shop will do what ever you ask them to do when it comes to installing a body lift on your truck. they can install the lift, move/mod your rad shroud, replace body mounts, install frame skirts, fabricate and relocate bumpers, modify shifter's ect... each thing you add to the list will add to the cost.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Red Cobra
Senior User
got mine off e bay for 100 $ shipping was like 60 $ but either way thats cheeper than i would have got it at any auto parts place here in town it came with bumper brackets steering ext. even red thred locker !... sucks to hear that its not all that worth it now that i have it haha.. i did not get mine to fit bigger tires thoi just got a brand new set of tires before the body lift and love them ... i got it for the down pipe as well as it being easy to get to more parts of my moter

i think summit on e bay still has them for a 100 $ not sure if its the same as what came in mine tho

Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
so do you guys think that in the long run just getting a straight axle to replace that hunk of junk twin i beam would be the better way to go instead of a body lift? if you have to do several mods to get the body lift to work well with the diesel, that would make the cost go up. the price would be close to that of doing the sas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: body lift on a 91 diesel???