6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2wd F250 Diesel in snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Gforce54
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd F250 Diesel in snow

Hi i actually as of right now do not have a Ford truck. but my family just bought a house in big bear california and i currently have a audi a4 and i want to sell it to get a 2003 Ford F250. The only problem is that its a 2wd. My Audi is Quattro. how does a 2wd Ford F250 Perform in SNow?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Packard V8
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"how does a 2wd Ford F250 Perform in SNow?"

It doesn't. The 6.0 has so much torque and the truck is so front end heavy - rear end light, it breaks the tires loose accelerating gently on wet pavement. In snow, it is like a 6,000# pig on ice.

thnx, jack vines

Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM
SmOkIn(EM)OUT
New User
Stay with the Quattro..... Due to the fact of it being AWD. A 2wd will not be the way to go....in fact you won't go anywhere besides backwards. Find a good 4x4 truck.

Best of luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 PM
liv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Packard V8
"how does a 2wd Ford F250 Perform in SNow?"

It doesn't. The 6.0 has so much torque and the truck is so front end heavy - rear end light, it breaks the tires loose accelerating gently on wet pavement. In snow, it is like a 6,000# pig on ice.

thnx, jack vines
They have this thing called weight. Don't know if you've heard of it. You can use it in the back of trucks though and it helps immensely.

It takes some getting used too but you can drive an unloaded 2wd in the snow fairly easily. You'll most likely have to drive slower than with your quattro, but you'll get the hang of it. Just remember to have a couple hundred pounds in the bed... oh yea and don't be an idiot

I guess I should also ask. Why do you want to give up the Audi?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
it will work but you will have you use chains when ever they put up the signs. usally 4x4's can go with out. the last time i was in a 2wd excursion in big bear my mom almost spun a 360. haha
it's doable though, just think how many times you are going to drive up there and what you feel comfortable in.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Packard V8
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They have this thing called weight. Don't know if you've heard of it. You can use it in the back of trucks though and it helps immensely.
FWIW, I've driven 2WD pickups in snow for almost fifty years. By adding weight in the bed, it is possible to turn an impossible 6000# pig on ice into a 7000# marginally manageable pig on ice. Hauling around the extra half-ton does wonders for reducing the fuel economy and increasing the stopping distance also.

Bottom line = Anyone with an Audi Quattro as a snow traction vehicle frame of reference and who has to ask how a 2WD 6.0 F250 would be in snow definitely shouldn't go there.

thnx, jack vines

Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM
liv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Packard V8
FWIW, I've driven 2WD pickups in snow for almost fifty years. By adding weight in the bed, it is possible to turn an impossible 6000# pig on ice into a 7000# marginally manageable pig on ice. Hauling around the extra half-ton does wonders for reducing the fuel economy and increasing the stopping distance also.

Bottom line = Anyone with an Audi Quattro as a snow traction vehicle frame of reference and who has to ask how a 2WD 6.0 F250 would be in snow definitely shouldn't go there.

thnx, jack vines
Well considering you've been driving 2wd trucks in snow for twice as long as I've been alive I would hope that you don't think its impossible. I guess I got the wrong vibe from you and I was a little harsh with my response. I've been pushing snow for 10 years, and I rarely use 4wd. 1k pounds in the bed of a 3/4 ton truck does very little to fuel consumption or braking distance... especially on snow. If you are having issues breaking tires loose on even wet pavement you need to keep your foot out of it on turns and get some better rubber. In the snow I would take most any 2wd pickup with a couple hundred pounds in the bed over my 4k pound AWD car any day of the week even with studded tires.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Gforce54
New User
Well my Audi is an 05 and it has about 72000 miles on it. We jsut got our house and we where thinking it would be nice to have a truck. So i would sell my audi and get the truck. I found a f250 2003 turbo diesel 6.0 with 80000 miles on it a chip, exhaust 4" lift and XD series rims and it is everything i want just not 4wd. i will probably be able to sell my audi for around 15000 and its hard to find a diesel 4x4 with no more than 8000 miles in that price range. That is my problem.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Gforce54
New User
So if i got the truck and put chains on it and a bunch of heavy sand bags and such in the back would it perform decent in the big bear snow. I am only really going to be driving on the roads and not to much off road in the snow. We just need a truck to hall a boat and what not but we dont want to spend more money than the audi is and we want a diesel.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:19 AM
gp42gpw
Senior User
Don't do it. A 2wd with the big heavy diesel in front will suck in the snow even with weight in the bed. Take your time and look for a 4x4.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM
foul1
Senior User
Still a rookie on the 6.0, not with the snow. Ive had multiple 2 wheel drive vans a few trucks (prob 30 pluss or minus) bla bla bla over the years owning a service co in town. I would never personally buy another truck knowing its purpose would be to get somewhere in the snow. After having this one on wet streets there is NO way in hell unless Im only pulling a trailer in the desert that I would get a 2 wheel drive. I also will always have one of these trucks now. Its your money and just my opinion. Good luck whatever you you do.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 AM
JJPMach1
Senior User
I had a 2wd f250 2wd with a 302.

That was terrible in the snow & always spun. I filled the bed with snow & then I could not stop & it made little improvement with traction.

Stay with the Audi

Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gforce54
So if i got the truck and put chains on it and a bunch of heavy sand bags and such in the back would it perform decent in the big bear snow. I am only really going to be driving on the roads and not to much off road in the snow. We just need a truck to hall a boat and what not but we dont want to spend more money than the audi is and we want a diesel.
If your only going to be going to Big Bear once or twice during the winter weather...and are aware of the truck's short comings (no 4X4 and light tail) then you'll be fine. I've driven my 2WD F250 past guys in Z71 and 4X4 Rams who would spin when ever they tried to follow me in snow. Maybe it's the Michlins I'm riding on...maybe it's the truck driver I used to be...or the limited slip 3.73 under the bed...I don't know exactly. I know it doesn't take much for the 6.0L to spin the tires and if your acting like a moron the truck can/will swap ends on you quickly. If your going with a 4X4 F250...it will get the same mileage as a 2WD with 3,000 Ib of ballast in the bed (if not better since your not spinning all that stuff up front); and it will have more moving parts upfront that will cost extra when it comes time to repair/replace 'em. The 2WD guys get the best fuel mileage...hands down; and the limited slip rear end does help with traction. A four wheel drive truck will cost more than it's 2WD cousin, and may not be as good of shape...previous owner may have done internal damage to the engine/transmission/transfer case trying to get the truck unstuck. Yeah, I'm a 2WD guy...I bought the truck to tow the toys...not to be the toy. It comes down to this...what's important to you in the truck your looking for?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:02 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gp42gpw
Don't do it. A 2wd with the big heavy diesel in front will suck in the snow even with weight in the bed. Take your time and look for a 4x4.

This winter when it snows, take a look at all those trucks (state, township) that are plowing all the roads. The vast majority are 2WD The key is weight and traction, plus knowing how to drive. I live in SE Pa. and we get our share of snow in the winter and it dosen't keep the 2 WD people cars or trucks off the road.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
gp42gpw
Senior User
I too am from Pa. and when the real snow hits the 2wd are spinning away or stuck.
The plows by my home are 4x4 or medium duty 2wd no F-250/350 2wd plowing by me. I imagine a snow storm near big bear could amount to some deep snow. I have never been there so I don't know. But when we get 4+ inches 2wd has a hard time getting up the hills by my home.

Quick Reply: 2wd F250 Diesel in snow