Sponsored by: Moser

2010's Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:14 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010's Tranny

I am seriously wanting to purchase a 2010 Platinum but after reading at least 100 posts with serious issues with the 09 tranny shifting, I am looking for as much feedback from 2010 owners on the tranny as possible, I was told by Ford that the 2010's have a new software to cure these issues.
I relly don't want to go back to GMC but my 2000 GM'er had absolutely no tranny issues!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
What you have to remember is the only people who will post on here are people with tranny issues. A vast more amount of people have no issues and wont bother telling us their trans is running just fine. Mine is running just fine by the way and i have a platinum.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
BulletBob
Junior User
dt - I don't want to try and steer you away from Ford (that's all I drive) but my wife's 2009 Lariat Limited drives me crazy when I drive it!! It does here too. The shifting is very annoying and feels like it's about to break down at any moment. We have almost 3K miles on it now and it is still no better than when we bought it.

If you are accelerating, it feels fine but between 55 and close to 70mph at a steady pedal, it feels like the think is jumping continuously and cannot decide which gear it should stay in. For a truck that expensive, I am really dissappointed...

Best,
Bullet Bob

Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by BulletBob
dt - I don't want to try and steer you away from Ford (that's all I drive) but my wife's 2009 Lariat Limited drives me crazy when I drive it!! It does here too. The shifting is very annoying and feels like it's about to break down at any moment. We have almost 3K miles on it now and it is still no better than when we bought it.

If you are accelerating, it feels fine but between 55 and close to 70mph at a steady pedal, it feels like the think is jumping continuously and cannot decide which gear it should stay in. For a truck that expensive, I am really dissappointed...

Best,
Bullet Bob
Then you need to go to the dealer and get it squared away. If your selling dealer can't do it, then find a Ford dealer that can.

I agree, for that kind of money and Ford's truck building acumen, you have the right to expect better.

Tim

Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Then you need to go to the dealer and get it squared away. If your selling dealer can't do it, then find a Ford dealer that can.

I agree, for that kind of money and Ford's truck building acumen, you have the right to expect better.

Tim
Thats why I'm waiting to see what the 2010 owners have to say, if the new software REALLY changes things, if not well, off to the competition, a new Platinum up here in the great white north will be close to 50, no way I'm spending that kind of money on something that has to be taken back to the dealer brand new for a tranny computer re-flash, thats B/S.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:58 PM
BulletBob
Junior User
Thanks tseek. I've taken it into the dealer twice and they say they cannot find anything wrong with it.

My previous 5.4L F150 and my wife's 5.4L Expedition (other vehicle - didn't trade it in for the F150 Lariat) still shifts smooth.

It's a pain to go to the service dept as we live 45min from the nearest dealer. As soon as I can get a break from work, I'm going to take it to another dealer and see if they can find something...

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by BulletBob
Thanks tseek. I've taken it into the dealer twice and they say they cannot find anything wrong with it.

My previous 5.4L F150 and my wife's 5.4L Expedition (other vehicle - didn't trade it in for the F150 Lariat) still shifts smooth.

It's a pain to go to the service dept as we live 45min from the nearest dealer. As soon as I can get a break from work, I'm going to take it to another dealer and see if they can find something...
One time I had a warranty issue with a new Ford vehicle and the service manager was being a PITA. I had to put him in the vehicle and make him drive it to prove that there was an issue.

Are these guys doing a simple diagnostic and finding nothing wrong, or are they actually putting some miles on it?

The bottom line is, can the dealer tell you for sure that the truck / transmission is operating within Ford specs? What are Ford specs for that tranny? Is it supposed to shift eratically by design? I doubt it.

One thing I learned from owning new Fords. If you have an ongoing issue that can't be resolved immediately, it's incumbant on you to continue to complain to keep the case open. Once your out of warranty you're on your own unless you have a significant case built to substantiate your claim. It's thier system, use it properly and use it to your advantage to gain warranty consideration beyond your 60K powertrain warranty.

Apparently these new tranny's require no routine maintenance under normal driving conditions. Drive it as you normally would, take it back every 12k miles and make them look at it.

Tim

Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
khogle2
New User
Originally Posted by dontrowell
I am seriously wanting to purchase a 2010 Platinum but after reading at least 100 posts with serious issues with the 09 tranny shifting, I am looking for as much feedback from 2010 owners on the tranny as possible, I was told by Ford that the 2010's have a new software to cure these issues.
I relly don't want to go back to GMC but my 2000 GM'er had absolutely no tranny issues!

i have a 2010 F150 with 5.4L/6sp and the shift quality is excellent. i am pretty sure this 6L80 trans was jointly developed by gm and ford a couple of years back. my 2008 gmc denali has the 6.2L/6sp and the ford shifts are better. the gmc has quite a few glitches in shift quality, especially on some of the downshifts coming up to a stoplight.

i am actually really pleased with this truck, never had one before from ford, but that crew cab is huge and the truck drives great.

ps: most shift complaints are fixed by recalibration of the tcm, so if you have complaints on a 2009, check with the dealer for updates.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Originally Posted by khogle2
i have a 2010 F150 with 5.4L/6sp and the shift quality is excellent. i am pretty sure this 6L80 trans was jointly developed by gm and ford a couple of years back. my 2008 gmc denali has the 6.2L/6sp and the ford shifts are better. the gmc has quite a few glitches in shift quality, especially on some of the downshifts coming up to a stoplight.

i am actually really pleased with this truck, never had one before from ford, but that crew cab is huge and the truck drives great.

ps: most shift complaints are fixed by recalibration of the tcm, so if you have complaints on a 2009, check with the dealer for updates.
Great to hear, had one GMC with a nutty tranny, they replaced the tranny twice, same result, not ordering till Jan, so hopefully get more 2010 reports comin in.
thanks

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Kruk
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
One time I had a warranty issue with a new Ford vehicle and the service manager was being a PITA. I had to put him in the vehicle and make him drive it to prove that there was an issue.

Are these guys doing a simple diagnostic and finding nothing wrong, or are they actually putting some miles on it?

The bottom line is, can the dealer tell you for sure that the truck / transmission is operating within Ford specs? What are Ford specs for that tranny? Is it supposed to shift eratically by design? I doubt it.

One thing I learned from owning new Fords. If you have an ongoing issue that can't be resolved immediately, it's incumbant on you to continue to complain to keep the case open. Once your out of warranty you're on your own unless you have a significant case built to substantiate your claim. It's thier system, use it properly and use it to your advantage to gain warranty consideration beyond your 60K powertrain warranty.

Apparently these new tranny's require no routine maintenance under normal driving conditions. Drive it as you normally would, take it back every 12k miles and make them look at it.

Tim

Here is the bottom line:
#1 Yes most of the people who are not having any problem will probably not be posting here. But the fact that there are so many problems of the same nature point to something.

#2 The dealership WILL NOT do anything if the vehicle is not shooting a code or there is a TSB because they will not be paid for the warrantee work.

#3 . I have filed a complaint with the BBB auto line in Missouri to try to get some kind of resolution after trying multiple dealerships service depts. and what I have dicovered is that ford will never admit that anything is a "problem" they will try to justify why it happens and say that it is abnormal at best.

I have bought 7 brand new ford trucks over the last 15 years and never had complaints like this. I say be VERY VERY VERY cautious when looking at a ford with the 6 speed tranny.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kruk
Here is the bottom line:

#2 The dealership WILL NOT do anything if the vehicle is not shooting a code or there is a TSB because they will not be paid for the warrantee work.

Not true. Shifting problems in the 6 speed will not throw a code. Drive with the manager or tech and let them feel the problem. IF they don't help you find another dealer. A re-flash of the latest firmware done CORRECTLY via the TSB, will cure most of the problems.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Get the TSB reflash and it'll be fine.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
BulletBob
Junior User
Thanks guys, I've had one flash already (about a month ago) and will be taking it back soon to try again and will make them drive with me. I still don't feel I should have to take a brand new truck back 3 times in less than a few months of ownership and not have some kind of resolution to the problem. I'm with Kruk on this one and have been buying nothing but Fords since '89. I'll give them another try and then go from there.

I'm glad I bought the 100K mile Ford warranty just in case something does happen down the road.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 AM
3bands
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dads 09 shifts great, lots better than my 08, and the last 8 fords i have had, no complaints 09 is a great truck.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
It's untrue that Ford will not fix it unless it throws a code or has a TSB. If there's a problem they will fix it. Again a much much higher % of people who own the truck have no issues. Lets say that the people who have had issues on this forum are about 20-30 people as a few have joined just to find a fix for it. There's hundreds of thousands without the problem. If you are really so worried about and it does do it then get the TSB update done.

I also think some people are confuseing the way a 6 speed works compaired to a 4 speed. I see so many posts over on other forums and this forum saying that it changes gears a lot. Well thats hat happens when you have more gears and thats why you are getting better MPG out of the 09 over the 4 speed versions. Go and drive a 7 speed DSG and you would be amazed at how much that thing changes up and down gears.

Quick Reply: 2010's Tranny