Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, with a sick truck! (cough cough, sick)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, with a sick truck! (cough cough, sick)

HI, just signed up here, joined up cus yall seem to have a lot of technical help info lol

I have a 1996 F-150 4x4 with a 351 with a problem or two.

Here is what I posted on another board after it first started doing it a couple months ago.

OK my truck started this a few weeks ago. I was driving along and it just dies cold, didnt shake, spit, sputter.. nothing just dies. I coast over to the side of the road and it takes like 2 tries and it fires up, drive it home and let it set over night. Get up the next day and drive all over town and then I'm just about home and it does it again. Try to crank it and it runs for a few seconds and then dies again. Let it set for a couple minutes and after about 5 times trying to crank it it fires up and I drive it on home.

After this I let it set for about a week, it starts fine every time I try it. So I start driving it again and it runs great for a few days. Now it does this thing where I'm just cruisin down the road with normal pressure on the gas and its like it jerks, and stalls for a few seconds but the engine comes back on after those few seconds and it runs fine for a little while. Most of the time it runs fine now but after it warms up it will do this latest thing a few times over the course of a 20 or 30 mile trip. Yesterday it died on me in town and it took about 15 minutes to get it started. It ran a once or twice for about 5 seconds in that time.

I changed the filter last fall, I have a new one to put on now, but I really dont think thats the issue. My uncle who is a mechanic told me it sounds like fuel pump issues, I tend to agree but hoping it could be something small like a regulator or throttle sensor maybe. It's a 96 ext. cab short bed 4x4 with two tanks, do these things have pumps in both tanks or just one? It doesnt have one on the frame rail and switching back and forth between the tanks makes no difference when its having one of the no start issues. You can hear the pump kick on when you turn the key on too...

I'm just not sure what to replace first as money is tight. It threw a code a while ago but went off in the parking lot of advance auto when I was gonna have it read...

I also done a tune up on it about 30,000 miles ago... (plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor button, pcv valve and also replaced the DPFE on the egr vavle)

Help please!
Then here's a second one I posted a couple weeks ago lol

The issue I've been having is getting worse. I used to be able to let it sit for about 20 minutes and it would crank back up. Now it's pretty much done for when it quits.

I have replaced... Fuel relay, ignition coil, crank shaft position sensor and the ignition control module. The fuel pump kicks on and sounds fine and the fuel filter isnt that old.

Every time I replaced something it ran great for a day or two and then it was right back to the same old crap.

I took it down last week and had the codes read... 2 showed up....

P0320 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction
P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1)

I'm pretty much at a loss here.

Help me please!
Yesterday I put a new Distributor in it, it seems to have fixed the old issue as it starts every time i try it. The problem is it idles fine but when you give it any amount of gas the whole truck shakes and if you try to get on it, it stumbles all over itself.

I have read and researched the timing procedure for it and as far as I know I'm doing everything right. I unplugged the spout connector, cranked it up and adjusted timing (runs awesome at idle) with a light, turned it off and plugged the connector back in. It still does the weird shaky thing when you give it gas. I was able to drive it about 5 miles, I can get up to the speed limit but it stutters when you try to get there fast. After this trip I brought it back home and did nothing to it but hook up the timing light and checked it and it was off about 20 degrees.

I did the whole thing with taking the number 1 plug out and bumping it until i felt compression and the timing marks were in line. I set the dizzy to match as well and then timed it with the light. I have even went a tooth each way on the gears and it wont run either way.I match marked the old dizzy and transferred the marks onto the new one when I did the initial swap.

When it would run, it ran perfect all the way through the power band before I put the new dizzy in. it would just die every so often and wouldnt restart until i let it set for a bout a day.

I have wiggled every wire and connector visible and nothing has changed.

I'm still at a loss and losing patience with it. I'm just not sure what to do next.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
There is a section in the sticky thread at the top of the forum (I believe) that explains how to take stored codes without a scanner. http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13 Do that and post back. I thought all of these trucks had another fuel pump in the frame rails but I could be wrong. Someone else will respond soon I suppose.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Mine is a 96, that test says its for models up to 95. I went and looked and there are no self test plugs under the hood (my 92 has them) and there isnt another pump on the frame rails... Mine has the OBDII and a regular code reader will read it.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Oh, im sorry then. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Thanks tho!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
donniezyea
Senior User

Question for you how did your timming get off 20 degrees after you set it the first time????
Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction
That code worries me someone here maybe can detail that for you.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
I'm not sure, the dizzy didnt move. But from the time I set it until I got back from the drive it was off 20 degrees.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:33 PM
kaduh
Senior User
Orielly and Autozone will let you borrow the OBDII reader to pull codes. I have a 96 also and borrowed rather that buy one.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
gpedens
Senior User
Orielly and Autozone will read them for you where I live. The guy at Oreilly even ran my 87 f150 thru the key on engine off and key on engine running. Have you replaced your fuel filter? You might have a fuel pressure regulator problem. Check your fuel pressure.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Paco_Jones
Senior User
Update: Found out that when you plug the SPOUT back in that the timing wont be exactly on 10 degrees because the computer is constantly adjusting it.

I was advised to exchange my dizzy for another one, that it I could have gotten a bad one. It's on order and should be here tomorrow sometime.

Thanks for the quick responses peeps! If this doesnt fix it I'll borrow a reader from autozone to see if its throwing different codes.