Front Axle Oil Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by schaerem
Jason,
I'm looking at the exact prolem with a leaking seal on my passenger side. Did you perform this with the diff in place? I've been told you should remove the diff.

How did you drive the pass side seal in. It is a long reach to get to it.

Also any pointers or a short step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Marc
2002 F350
Marc,

You might as well replace both oil seals while you're at it because you're going to have to pull out the carrier setup. In order to pull the carrier setup, you have to pull both axles (passenger and driver's side). Each seal is around $75 at NAPA and I believe the p/n is 15553.

To drive the passenger side seal in, I froze the seal, then used a 1-7/8" socket with a hydrauilic jack handle and the homemade seal driver. I placed the passenger oil seal into the passenger side axle tube within the differential with the carrier setup removed. Then I had Art hold the socket on the face of the seal. I carefully slid the jack handle through the driver's side axle tube and Art held it against the socket. I used the homemade seal driver and placed it over the end of the handle that I was holding. I used that as a slide hammer ram and tapped the seal into place. The person aligning the socket and jack handle will be able to tell when the oil seal is seated. You can check it by snaking a finger on the outside of the seal and feeling for a ridge in the axle tube.

Be extremely careful after you drive one seal in and do the other. Make sure you don't mung up the rubber seal with your jack handle. Have your helper guide it through and go easy.

I used the same method in reverse, but w/o the socket to tap out the blown axle seals. Replace both when you're in there.

Definitely freeze the oil seal and carrier setup for installation. Look for burrs on the axle tube where you press in the oil seals.

Reinstalling the axles was a bit tight because of the new seals. You can definitely feel a difference.