1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

On my way to work, click, lights on but nobody home...

Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my way to work, click, lights on but nobody home...

I was just driving down the road, light throttle, nothing unusual, then it happened, the old girl quit on me. Just a click, like an electrical switch (sounded like it was from the left side of dash) then nothing, sudden death

I think I'm going to be sick.

I pulled over and tried to restart, cranks but no start, also no fuel pump. And trying to think back (I'm at work now, I had to be driven to here in a minivan, imagine my humiliation!) I don't remember the SES or WTS lights.

I just had the DP out a few days ago to add tunes, it wouldn't restart so I took it back out, it started, then I put the tuner back in and it worked so I taped and wire tied it real good, and it's been fine. I don't know if that could be related or not. I don't know what to check.

I'm afraid I may have had a bad connection on the tuner, it jiggled and fried my PCM. Any Ideas?

Thank you for your support.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe the chip needs to be seated in better to the PCM, maybe slipped out a bit, see what that does.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the connection on the switcher Howard. IF you are not getting the WTS light check the fuse that feeds the PCM and the fuel bowl heater. If it is blown unplug the heater and replace the fuse.

Another thought what are you running for a CPS?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Mike, I tried seating the chip, but no difference.

Jim, That fuse to the PCM and fuel bowl, that has me thinking....
This past spring I replaced my fuel filter, I accidentally broke the bowl heater element. I figured I didn't need the bowl heater anyway, but I think someone mentioned that can cause this problem. But would I hear a click if a fuse blew?

Where is that fuse? Under the hood?
I can't check it 'till after work, but I would like to have plan. I stood there this morning w/ no idea what to check.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
agg_bagg
Senior User
that fuse is under the dash i believe. it should tell you in your owners manual what fueses do what... if you don't have that just check them all.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
did you disconnect your pcm to put that tuner in? when i installed my dp 2 days ago, i realized that the bolt that is inside the engine compartment grounds or does something to the pcm so it wont start if its not screwed in. mabey its not firmly screwed in??

i went to try and start the truck to see if i had all the silocone off and it woudlnt start witouth that bolt.

try checking to see if your bolt wiggled out from the engine compartment.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm betting it's the fuse. With a broken element, that's sure to be the culprit. I cracked the damn connector on my bowl heater when I was putting it back together after fixing a leaky HPOP. Stupid thing got caught between the fuel bowl & HPOP -- when I started tightening down the bolts, I heard a crack and almost chit myself. Then I looked behind there and saw the wires going under the bowl. It's plugged in, but the clip is broken -- I'll be watching to see if mine blows this winter.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:13 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, make sure you have LED readout on you Tuner. If it comes unplugged on either end, it will shut you down. Second, like already said, make sure your fuel bowl heated fuse is good and you probably heard relays clicking. Third guess would be the CPS.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a search on this forum.
Check your fuse #30, it powers your fuel heater and PCM.
Nick

Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Originally Posted by zx250
First, make sure you have LED readout on you Tuner. If it comes unplugged on either end, it will shut you down. Second, like already said, make sure your fuel bowl heated fuse is good and you probably heard relays clicking. Third guess would be the CPS.
Thank You! Good to know.

Originally Posted by Izzy351
I'm betting it's the fuse. With a broken element, that's sure to be the culprit. I cracked the damn connector on my bowl heater when I was putting it back together after fixing a leaky HPOP. Stupid thing got caught between the fuel bowl & HPOP -- when I started tightening down the bolts, I heard a crack and almost chit myself. Then I looked behind there and saw the wires going under the bowl. It's plugged in, but the clip is broken -- I'll be watching to see if mine blows this winter.
You would win that bet. It is the fuse.

Originally Posted by Nick 99
I did a search on this forum.
Check your fuse #30, it powers your fuel heater and PCM.
Nick
Nick, thanks for looking that up. Reps to you! It was fuse #30.

Ok, the mystery is solved but... How do I fix the problem? Do I just disconnect a connector to the fuel bowl? If so, do I just let it hang?

I'm so happy this is all it is! I thought I was going to be getting a PCM, and missing the GTG at Pete's next weekend, and on and on in my mind all day.

Once again FTE comes through!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Check the connection on the switcher Howard. IF you are not getting the WTS light check the fuse that feeds the PCM and the fuel bowl heater. If it is blown unplug the heater and replace the fuse.

Another thought what are you running for a CPS?

First I want to thank you, you were right on with the fuel bowl heater. Also, you have been quick to PM answers to questions about the GTG at pete's. THANKS JIM, I can't rep you for some reason so this will have to do for now.

I'm nervous about leaving the electrical connector loose, do I need to seal it up or anything?

As to what CPS I have, I have no idea. I've heard it's a good idea to have a spare. And I know there's a gray one and a black one, I don't know where to look to see which I have.

Can't wait to meet you, and thank you in person.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:06 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparkplugless
First I want to thank you, you were right on with the fuel bowl heater. Also, you have been quick to PM answers to questions about the GTG at pete's. THANKS JIM, I can't rep you for some reason so this will have to do for now.

I'm nervous about leaving the electrical connector loose, do I need to seal it up or anything?

As to what CPS I have, I have no idea. I've heard it's a good idea to have a spare. And I know there's a gray one and a black one, I don't know where to look to see which I have.

Can't wait to meet you, and thank you in person.
You are more than welcome Howard. We will take a look at your CPS next weekend and show you where it is and how to remove it. Clay will be there so he may have a IH CPS that you can throw in your glove box.

The connector can just hang if you want you can put a piece if electrical tape over it just to keep the grime out.

It will be a pleasure to meet you in person also my friend.

Search this Thread