New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

looking for atc/atv mechanic in utica/rome area

Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
pancake
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for atc/atv mechanic in utica/rome area

i have an 85 honda big red 250 es that just up and stopped getting spark... i have thrown more parts at this thing ...checked all connectors and all wiring

and still no spark i am just about out of patience if anyone knows about an atc/atv tech in the utica/rome or surrounding area OTHER THAN THE BIG NAME DEALERS

pm me or post up here with any info...

thanks in advance,dave in utica

Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pancake
i have an 85 honda big red 250 es that just up and stopped getting spark... i have thrown more parts at this thing ...checked all connectors and all wiring

and still no spark i am just about out of patience if anyone knows about an atc/atv tech in the utica/rome or surrounding area OTHER THAN THE BIG NAME DEALERS

pm me or post up here with any info...

thanks in advance,dave in utica
hmm have one of those old relics my self-spark is one problem I have never had from it-I do have a book on it I'll take a look~ and see if it's got a diagnosis section on the ignition-send you a pm this evening those old things are good runners-dangerous as crap though flipped mine going up a hill fractured sternum laceration on liver -broke me up pretty bad it was my hunting atv till that

Old 10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
stanggt84
Senior User
I don't know of any small engine mechanics in that area but I picked up an old Arctic Cat last year and I was having all sorts of problems getting a spark. I replaced the coil, CDI box, and plugs. Only to discover that the ign cutoff switch (deadman switch) was faulty I bypassed that and then there was spark.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 AM
pancake
Elder User
hey as an update ...

it runs again after throwing 250.00 in parts at it just to find out i had 2 wires that broke off of the back of the key switch ...

the previous owner had soldered these on once before i found them initially off and the previous owner had a big gob of solder bridged across 2 of the contacts so me being the idiot i spliced the 2 broken wires together and soldered them to the existing solder and thatsd where i screwed everything up .....it turns out the 2 contacts were NOT bridged together as i thought there mustve been a space about the thickness of a piece of paper that i didnt spot....

so long story short i was able to get a look at the switch on a similar machine and i got rid of the big gob of solder and wired mine like my friends switch IT LIVES....=)

Search this Thread