Questions about 61-63 trucks - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

Questions about 61-63 trucks

 
  #16  
Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 AM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 81,269
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by gritsngumbo View Post
AFAIK the door popping open story is an unconfirmed myth.
Unconfirmed myth, huh.

OK, please explain the reasons why Ford canceled the Uni-Body mid-year 1963 if it wasn't because of the doors.

I've seen evidence of and heard first hand accounts of the doors popping open from customers, because I was a Ford partsman when these trucks were fresh to the market.

The 1957/60 so-called wrong bed was the only Styleside bed available in: 1961/65 F100/250 4WD's, 1966 F250 4WD's and 1961/66 F350's.
 
  #17  
Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 AM
IvelDesigns
IvelDesigns is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
IvelDesigns is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't want to get in the middle of a fact/fiction war here, nor do i want to upset the purists here, but...

My plans for this truck are to frame off it, installing a MII up front, along with a modern drivetrain (probably a 302 or 351, depending on what i can find). I'll also be shaving door handles, stake pockets, unwanted seams, and overall just smoothing the truck out as much as tastefully possible.

This is my first ford, ever. The opportunity came up to pick this one up on the cheap, and i have to say that i really like the looks of it. And the unibody has really grown on me. Add to it that it's a short box.

I appreciate everyone's information so far, and I'm sure i'll continue learning from everyone here as i make my way through this project.
 
  #18  
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
jwcnj45
jwcnj45 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 212
jwcnj45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I got my cab mount brackets and floor pans for my 63 uni from Carolina Classics. Quality is good. They make the cab mounts, but I am not sure if they make their own floor pans.
 
  #19  
Old 10-10-2009, 04:20 PM
gritsngumbo's Avatar
gritsngumbo
gritsngumbo is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 762
gritsngumbo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
Unconfirmed myth, huh.

OK, please explain the reasons why Ford canceled the Uni-Body mid-year 1963 if it wasn't because of the doors.

I've seen evidence of and heard first hand accounts of the doors popping open from customers, because I was a Ford partsman when these trucks were fresh to the market.
Bill: As I said, an "unconfirmed myth". While I appreciate your ability to look up part numbers and locate NOS parts, just because you say it DOESN'T MAKE IT SO! If I say something you don't agree with PROVE ME WRONG! My opinion is my opinion and your opinion is yours! Let's leave it at that.

I quite frankly don't care what you were doing, when. It doesn't make you an expert on everything to do with Ford trucks.
 
  #20  
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 PM
91BroncoToy's Avatar
91BroncoToy
91BroncoToy is offline
New User
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 22
91BroncoToy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Popping doors?

Well I haven't heard that reason for the Uni having such a short production life, but it may be possible. I don't care why they stopped making them, I have a 62 Uni that I absolutly enjoy. I got it stock and now it has a 460 & C-6. It wasn't real difficult to install the 460 and C-6, but I will say that it wouldn't be my choice of first engine & trans swaps. Lot's of measuring and standing back and looking and changing ideas many times. I still have the drums on all four corners and the straight axel, which I personally think looks cool! I also made it so the hood tilts forward. I know a lot of people that have these trucks and most of them are not Uni's, but they are their trucks and every one of them is unique. I guess that's why we call them our project trucks. During my peiod of ownership, I have met many fine folks and have heard numerous stories from people that used to own these "Slicks" and wish they still did because of the style.
 
  #21  
Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Broncoholic1's Avatar
Broncoholic1
Broncoholic1 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Union Lake MI
Posts: 2,165
Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.Broncoholic1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just keep on posting until you get to 25. Lets see some picts
 
  #22  
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 AM
IvelDesigns
IvelDesigns is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
IvelDesigns is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hopefully I hear back from the guy this weekend yet, or early this week to confirm the sale. Then I'll get some pics to share.

In the mean time, check out the '50 Chevy I built last spring: 1950 Chevy 3600 - Bumper Punchin' - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Getting closer to 25 posts...
 
  #23  
Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 AM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 81,269
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by gritsngumbo View Post
Bill: As I said, an "unconfirmed myth". While I appreciate your ability to look up part numbers and locate NOS parts, just because you say it DOESN'T MAKE IT SO! If I say something you don't agree with PROVE ME WRONG! My opinion is my opinion and your opinion is yours! Let's leave it at that.

I quite frankly don't care what you were doing, when. It doesn't make you an expert on everything to do with Ford trucks.
I've been in the old car hobby since 1956, and have over 3,000 books on automotive history, over 500 books just for Ford products, not counting parts catalogs.

I was brought up in the biz, because my family owned Oldsmobile & Cadillac dealerships for 80 years.

I've owned over 331 vehicles since 1956, 81 were/are Ford products.

I prolly know more about Ford cars/trucks and the history of the company than anyone else here on FTE...or any other Ford related website.

My current car collection:

1934 Packard V12 Dietrich Convertible Victoria / 1939 Packard Super Eight Sedan

1963 Galaxie 500XL HT / 1963 Galaxie 500XL FB / 1965 F100 Styleside Pickup

1962 Bentley Continental Flying Spur / 1963 Studebaker R2 Super Hawk
 
  #24  
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
IvelDesigns
IvelDesigns is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
IvelDesigns is starting off with a positive reputation.
 
  #25  
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 AM
billy12360
billy12360 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: darrington wash
Posts: 979
billy12360 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.billy12360 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i say go with the uni... i want 2 of them... to splice together into a crew cab..... or thats what im thinking about doing with them anyways.....

as far as disk brakes, your gonna have to go with a kit of some sort or trail and error... this is the kit ive been looking at Deluxe Disc Brake Kits: 1957-1964 Ford Half Ton i mean, as long as your not going with power steering up grade, and a different motor, this kit is cheaper then a donor truck...
 
  #26  
Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM
dcf1970
dcf1970 is offline
New User
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 16
dcf1970 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by billy12360 View Post
i say go with the uni... i want 2 of them... to splice together into a crew cab..... or thats what im thinking about doing with them anyways.....

as far as disk brakes, your gonna have to go with a kit of some sort or trail and error... this is the kit ive been looking at Deluxe Disc Brake Kits: 1957-1964 Ford Half Ton i mean, as long as your not going with power steering up grade, and a different motor, this kit is cheaper then a donor truck...
Sort of like my 1964 Ford F110 Double Door Shortbed found on other sites, will post a few photos too.
 

Last edited by dcf1970; 10-11-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: link not working
  #27  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
IvelDesigns
IvelDesigns is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
IvelDesigns is starting off with a positive reputation.
Little update on this 2 year old thread... I ended up getting the truck last summer and it sat at my parents acreage until last weekend. Now that it's in my garage, I'm hoping to have some time to get started on it.

I'll post some pics soon.
 
  #28  
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 AM
dustymojave's Avatar
dustymojave
dustymojave is offline
New User
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 22
dustymojave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Ivel. I hope you enjoy this build and wind up with a nice truck. Don't let Numberdummy scare you away from it with stories of doors popping open. I have a 61 LB Integral Cab (the PROPER name for what everybody seems to call "Unibody) Custom Cab with a 428 Cobra Jet and a C6 trans. I did the conversion from the 292 Y-Block V8 in 1977. Since then I've put over 600,000 miles on the truck. I have hauled over 2,000lbs at a time in the bed and carried a crank-up camper (very heavy) and towed a 16' flatbed trailer. I've never had a door pop loose let alone open or wedge un-openable. The most trouble I've had involving the doors is that after many miles of hard offroad use (freeway speed across the Mojave Desert with a full load of dirt bikes and camping gear) it sometimes develops a rattle in the door latches which require a latch adjustment to remedy. There is sometimes some minor flex in the body at the door openings. More modern door latches would help this issue as would reinforcing the frame rails under the cab. The Ford frame is already stiffer, stronger and more durable than a Chevy frame, but the integral cab design moves body flex to the door opening while conventional truck design allows such flex to happen in the gap between the cab and bed.
 
  #29  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Scout Pilot's Avatar
Scout Pilot
Scout Pilot is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 60
Scout Pilot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gritsngumbo........what carbs and manifold did you use for your 3 dueces in your '63 292. I am planning to update my stock '62 292 and am not sure what I want to do yet. If you don't mind posting pics of it, I would appreciate it. Just searching for ideas.
 
  #30  
Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Buzz44's Avatar
Buzz44
Buzz44 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: colbert washington
Posts: 2,281
Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Scout Pilot View Post
Gritsngumbo........what carbs and manifold did you use for your 3 dueces in your '63 292. I am planning to update my stock '62 292 and am not sure what I want to do yet. If you don't mind posting pics of it, I would appreciate it. Just searching for ideas.

If you dont find G&G here try him on the slick60s page. fordtruk.com
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about 61-63 trucks


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: