1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck spit out its driveshaft!! How to replace center support bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 04:19 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Truck spit out its driveshaft!! How to replace center support bearing?

Howdy, my 2000 spit out its driveshaft the other day. Right in town, fortunately only at about 15 mph. A U-joint cap bolt at the diff either worked loose or snapped off. We found one bolt gone and one snapped off. Recovery was not too bad, a big tow strap and my son in the 2004 SD pulled us home (including the trailer I was towing when I broke down - gotta love country living, any city cop woulda given us tickets).
Here's my errant driveshaft, after a kind DPS guy picked it up in a lane of traffic.

Anyway, that's fixed now. We had spare U-joint caps and needle bearings in the shop. The blue plastic that Ford puts on the slide joint was boogered up, but we use grease in there anyway.

Crawling under the truck to fix it, I see this sucker, which sure looks bent to me. The rubber webbing is collapsed such that it hangs down lower than it should. And the big metal U looks bent. I don't believe this just happened, because it's all rusty. At the front of this picture is the female part of the slip joint.

Does anybody have a step by step on how to replace this center bearing and the rubber web around it? Do I have to separate the driveshaft halves forward of the slip yoke?

Old 02-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
You have to remove the two bolts from the flange and remove the driveshaft. Find a long pipe that has the same diameter as the INNER RACE of the carrier bearing, and with the driveshaft secured in a bench vise, use a hammer to strike the pipe, driving the bearing off. Replace the u-joints while it’s off, as well.

— Dave

Old 10-20-2019, 12:26 PM
arto_wa
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
Howdy, my 2000 spit out its driveshaft the other day. Right in town, fortunately only at about 15 mph. A U-joint cap bolt at the diff either worked loose or snapped off. We found one bolt gone and one snapped off. Recovery was not too bad, a big tow strap and my son in the 2004 SD pulled us home (including the trailer I was towing when I broke down - gotta love country living, any city cop woulda given us tickets).
Here's my errant driveshaft, after a kind DPS guy picked it up in a lane of traffic.

Anyway, that's fixed now. We had spare U-joint caps and needle bearings in the shop. The blue plastic that Ford puts on the slide joint was boogered up, but we use grease in there anyway.

Crawling under the truck to fix it, I see this sucker, which sure looks bent to me. The rubber webbing is collapsed such that it hangs down lower than it should. And the big metal U looks bent. I don't believe this just happened, because it's all rusty. At the front of this picture is the female part of the slip joint.

Does anybody have a step by step on how to replace this center bearing and the rubber web around it? Do I have to separate the driveshaft halves forward of the slip yoke?

Regarding center bearing, the shop manual says roughly:

Disassembly:

Remove the driveshaft.
Remove the driveshaft flange nut & flange (the one next to the bearing).
Using a suitable press, remove the bearing from the driveshaft.
Using a suitable press, remove the dust slinger.

Assembly:

Clean up the stub shaft.
Follow the disassembly procedure in reverse order.
The driveshaft center bearing bracket must be installed with the deep flange rearward.
Torque the reverse slip driveshaft flange nut to 300 Lb-Ft.
Lube the spline with proper lube.

IE. Shop Hydraulic Press is recommended!

Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 10-20-2019, 02:38 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Well that truck got fixed months ago, but our Bullnose is down right now for driveshaft service. So the timing of your mini-necropost is impeccable, gentlemens. @Colorado350 @arto_wa

Old 10-22-2019, 11:18 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I had a local driveshaft shop replace the Spicer center bearing on my 2001 for $78, out the door - parts and labor. Took them 10 minutes and they used the Spicer part. No way was this worth doing on my own.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 PM
arto_wa
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
I had a local driveshaft shop replace the Spicer center bearing on my 2001 for $78, out the door - parts and labor. Took them 10 minutes and they used the Spicer part. No way was this worth doing on my own.

Good for you, however some of us do our own repairs & maintenance because we want to make sure it's done right.

Lucky if you know a local shop you can trust...