2005 4.6 2 valve in a 68 F100 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

2005 4.6 2 valve in a 68 F100

Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Shoestring is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Rusty 63 View Post
Found it - June '08 issue (oddly the month you joined FTE) pg 60-69 of CT has the details - Grant used a custom tank from Rick's and an Aeromotive pump & stuff. the Title of the article is "Building an EFI Fuel System".

I actually subscribed to CT when I happened to grab a newsstand copy & saw they were going to be building a truck close enough to mine (my rusty '63) to inspire me to get back into the garage. So in a really round-about kinda way, it's their fault I'm here! Thanks!
Sorry Rusty I have not checked this thread very much or this site for that matter, house projects have taken hold! I saw that article but what they did will not work for my application. I am using all original computer controlled parts so what they did with the after market parts will not be compatible. The stock parts and controllers do not use a return line or a constant speed pump. The original parts use a non return fuel line system with a variable speed fuel pump with controller. There is a vapor return line but that is used for only emissions. What did work for me was the design of the fuel tank and the running of the fuel lines. I was able to purchase a fuel cell all aluminum and since the tank is all flat surfaces it will be easily modified to work for what I am trying to do.

SS

Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Romak
Senior User
Romak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure if you guys saw trucks yesterday but they are doing a 4v swap and used a little return fuel adaptor that bolts on our fuel rails and then an eirlier fuel return regulator bolts to that, it's from a company called dunne rite perfomance. I checked there website but it wasn't listed so I emailed them and am waiting on a response. I will be ordering this for my swap and this should be close to the last piece of the puzzle before I can crank her up. I still need to clean up some of the wiring but everything needed is plugged in and ready to go. I'll let you know when they get back to me

Old 06-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Romak
Senior User
update and pics on mine
she is getting very close to crankin up and takin out for a spin, still got fuel (regulator is in the mail) to run, driveshaft and exhaust should be done this week, ignition switch, finish up the throttle cable bracket, run rear brakes, and put the front clip back on and wire up all the lights. heres some pics i like the new stance after i pulled out the overload springs in the back and put in the 8.8. by the way i will be cleaning up all that wiring, i just didnt want to cut anything out till i know it runs, then ill get to hacking out all the stuff im not using

Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
At a quick glance three things I am curious about.
1. The original motor has an electronic fan, are you going to attach that fan to the radiator? I am using the donor car radiator and fan with the stock radiator support.

2. Your A/C pump, what are you going to do with it? I plan on using mine eventually but for the time being I don't know what to do with the input and output holes on the condenser since it is on the pulley/belt pattern.

3. You said throttle cable. Your motor must be different from mine or you figured out how to go around the electronic throttle control. I had to pull the donor car gas petal and accompaniment wiring so I can make the throttle system work.

That looks outstanding though! Great work!

SS

Old 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Romak
Senior User
The radiator is the same one from when I had the 302 in it it's a 4 core I believe from a older mustang, the fan is a 3500 cfm 18 inch thinline that I wired up to the stock fan relay
I built a plug for the a/c lines on the compressor untill I get to putting in the a/c which will prolly be a next year project, but Oriellys sells a bypass pulpy for cheap if you would rather just take it off all together
and my motor is an 03 which was still a cable throttle body so no drive by wire to deal with

Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Romak
Senior User
well guys she is alive!!!!
i started her up this last Saturday and took her for a drive to the gas station that same night. it handles sounds and drives amazing, i still need to go get a custom tune because its got some hick ups from not having any emission stuff on it but all in all its drivable at the moment. all ive got left is to wire up the lights, linelock, change the third member to get my posi in there, and get the tune done and she'll be back to dailey driving.

ill try to maby get some video of it running soon, it sounds like a monster with these 40 series and no cats.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Romak
Senior User
heres a short video of how well she runs with everything, ive still got alot left to do but i have been dailey driving her for almost 2 months now with no issues

YouTube - f100 burnout

hope you injoy

Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Romak that sounds great! I was wondering about a few things on your mod. First of all love the wire markers, you and I both used the same blue tape! I was looking at your pictures thinking it was my wiring harness. Anyway the important stuff. My questions are about these things that I could see from your pictures. The computer you have does not look stock, what did you use? The fuel system you used was it from the donor vehicle or aftermarket? You talked about the exhaust did you use the stock exhaust manifold or headers? The brake booster looks the same as what i will be using but I don't know what the item is that the lines are going to on the firewall. Is that a reduction valve for the drum brakes? Did you end up using the bypass pulley or did you plug the compressor? What did you end up doing for your steering linkage? Did you go back to a 1960 steering wheel or go to an aftermarket wheel and column? Last thing. I noticed you used one of the firewall plugs and it looks attached to your firewall. What do you have it hooked to? I am elated to see some one who was able to make this work! Gets me pumped up to get mine running.

Again awesome job!

SS

Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Romak
Senior User
k ill try to hit all these answers.
1: the computer is a stock ECU, i used an 03 for a donor i beleive that yourse is a little later modle? if so they changed the ECU apperance in about 04> when they went to drive by wire. i think yours is a 3 plug ECU, mine was a 1 plug. and i did have to get a custom tune from a local shop to get all my check engine codes removed.
2: for fuel i am running a 68 mustang fuel tank between the frame over the rear axle. its got a return EFI sender in it that i picked up at a mustang resto shop in houston. im running stainless hard line to a external Summit racing pump up to a BBK adjustable external fuel return regulator (about 45 pounds). the return runs from the regulator back to the tank, and i found a AN fitting to the stock fuel rail fitting at summit to connect to the stock fuel rail to the regulator.
3: i did shop for some headers but never bought any becouse i plan on Twin Turboing in the near futer and will have to build some anyway. but for now im running stock manifold to 2.5 straight pipe (no cats). H piped then 2 40 series flowmasters that exit infront of the rear tires with stainless tips.
4: to start this, I got my rear axle from a 94 CV becouse the 03 was to wide for my application. So, with that said i also grabed the master cylender and proportioning valve/Brake switch from the 94 which is what one of those things on the firewall is. the other is a line lock for the front brakes (I built this thing to do some mad burnouts i got it from summit also. I have 4 wheel disc. on it and i did away with the ABS from the 03s harness so no ABS module.
5: for now i still have the compressor pluged off on mine. my buddy is using a 97 F150 for a donor on a 55 right now and supframed the front end, he is using the bypass pully on his 4.6.
6: for steering i used a 79 f150 steering column. i also grabed the steering shaft from the 79, and actually when i pulled apart the colapsable part of the CV shaft it fit tight and snug into the shaft off the 79. so i cut down the 79 shaft to the right length slid the CV shaft over top (with a little hammering) then tack welded it to keep it safe but still colapsable. no rag joint just 2 U joints, the 79 joint is one the column side and the CV joint is on the rack side. i did have to reshape a little of the 79 joint with a grinder to take off some meat for clearance for the exh. manafold but nothing major. oh and the wheel is just a Grant nothing fancy.
7: the harness fire wall plug actually bolts to the other side of the plug. so all i had to do was draw out and cut the whole for the plug to fit into and put them together and tighten the screw. they are actually gasketed and seal very well on the firewall just make sure you start small with the whole and work it bigger to try to get it as tight as possible. it worked out well i thought.

lemme know if you got anything els or if you need a lil more depth on any of those. ill try to get some pics up of my steering shaft and fuel regulator and pump and stuff when i get a chance. keep up the work on yours. its time consuming but i had mine done in 3 months so its possible. im excited to see how everyone elses turns out.

by the way were building 2 more right now. ive got a buddy doing the front clip from a 97 f150 onto a 55 f100 with 4.6 motor, trans, axle and all. and another buddy of mine is doing a body swap of a 65 f100 onto a 93 lightening frame and we are putting a 7.3 power stroke into it ( i tride to talk him outa the diesel and run the 351 but hes got his mind set, owell either one will be cool)

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Romak View Post
1: the computer is a stock ECU, i used an 03 for a donor i beleive that yourse is a little later modle? if so they changed the ECU apperance in about 04> when they went to drive by wire. i think yours is a 3 plug ECU, mine was a 1 plug. and i did have to get a custom tune from a local shop to get all my check engine codes removed.
2: for fuel i am running a 68 mustang fuel tank between the frame over the rear axle. its got a return EFI sender in it that i picked up at a mustang resto shop in houston. im running stainless hard line to a external Summit racing pump up to a BBK adjustable external fuel return regulator (about 45 pounds). the return runs from the regulator back to the tank, and i found a AN fitting to the stock fuel rail fitting at summit to connect to the stock fuel rail to the regulator.
3: i did shop for some headers but never bought any becouse i plan on Twin Turboing in the near futer and will have to build some anyway. but for now im running stock manifold to 2.5 straight pipe (no cats). H piped then 2 40 series flowmasters that exit infront of the rear tires with stainless tips.
4: to start this, I got my rear axle from a 94 CV becouse the 03 was to wide for my application. So, with that said i also grabed the master cylender and proportioning valve/Brake switch from the 94 which is what one of those things on the firewall is. the other is a line lock for the front brakes (I built this thing to do some mad burnouts i got it from summit also. I have 4 wheel disc. on it and i did away with the ABS from the 03s harness so no ABS module.
5: for now i still have the compressor pluged off on mine. my buddy is using a 97 F150 for a donor on a 55 right now and supframed the front end, he is using the bypass pully on his 4.6.
6: for steering i used a 79 f150 steering column. i also grabed the steering shaft from the 79, and actually when i pulled apart the colapsable part of the CV shaft it fit tight and snug into the shaft off the 79. so i cut down the 79 shaft to the right length slid the CV shaft over top (with a little hammering) then tack welded it to keep it safe but still colapsable. no rag joint just 2 U joints, the 79 joint is one the column side and the CV joint is on the rack side. i did have to reshape a little of the 79 joint with a grinder to take off some meat for clearance for the exh. manafold but nothing major. oh and the wheel is just a Grant nothing fancy.
7: the harness fire wall plug actually bolts to the other side of the plug. so all i had to do was draw out and cut the whole for the plug to fit into and put them together and tighten the screw. they are actually gasketed and seal very well on the firewall just make sure you start small with the whole and work it bigger to try to get it as tight as possible. it worked out well i thought.

lemme know if you got anything els or if you need a lil more depth on any of those. ill try to get some pics up of my steering shaft and fuel regulator and pump and stuff when i get a chance. keep up the work on yours. its time consuming but i had mine done in 3 months so its possible. im excited to see how everyone elses turns out.

by the way were building 2 more right now. ive got a buddy doing the front clip from a 97 f150 onto a 55 f100 with 4.6 motor, trans, axle and all. and another buddy of mine is doing a body swap of a 65 f100 onto a 93 lightening frame and we are putting a 7.3 power stroke into it ( i tride to talk him outa the diesel and run the 351 but hes got his mind set, owell either one will be cool)
Sounds like you got it done right.
Enjoy it, the 4.6L's will run forever-even when abused regularly.
JL

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Red2003XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
What transmission are you running? The 4sp auto? It's my understanding the Ford went to electronic controls for it's automatics; Are you keeping whatever electronics Ford used orginally on the Crown Vic?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Romak
Senior User
yes i kept the 4 speed auto that was in the crown vic. it is electronic but everything is run threw the ECU. so i just plugged everything in and its working fine.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Red2003XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the 411.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by Romak View Post
You are right mine is an 05 so the computer is a bit different. Now did the codes affect the operation of the motor or what was the reasoning for getting the codes changed? How much did that shop charge to reprogram you computer?

i did shop for some headers but never bought any becouse i plan on Twin Turboing in the near futer and will have to build some anyway. but for now im running stock manifold to 2.5 straight pipe (no cats). H piped then 2 40 series flowmasters that exit infront of the rear tires with stainless tips.
i have been looking for headers but have not found any that are made for this application. I have noticed that the headers that are made for the 4.6 are not necessarily made for the crown vic and the cross member system. I also grabbed the master cylinder from the donor vehicle. I am also looking into getting an older rear axle, has to be prior to 96 i think to fit what we are doing. Did you find an axle from a police interceptor, should have trak lock? I have the original Dana 44 with the trak lock system but am considering the newer axle for the disk brakes.

SS

Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Romak
Senior User
it was personal preferance mostly for getting a custom tune. I took out so much emissions stuff that i had about 20 check engine codes. it isnt really a necesity thow, i ran mine for about a month before i got the tune and it ran just fine, and would have continued to run fine without it. also with a tune you will get better MPGs and more performance depending on the tune. mines tuned for 93 octane fuel. it cost me about 300 bucks but that is actually fairly cheap for the area, i found a guy that was just opening a new shop and pushing good promotion deals and he will retune anytime i get any more mods for 50 bucks (like a cam, or turbo, ect.).

as for headers i really only looked into the BBK shorties but i have read that its not worth the money, the gains you get from them are very minimal and everyone recomends getting the long tubes, but the long tubes are made for mustangs and i have no idea if they will fit on the panther suspension or not.

my rear axle was from a 94 CV police pack but it was not tracklock. i believe that tracklock was a added option when the cars were orderd so just becouse its police doesnt mean its posi. fortunatly my 03 8.8 was posi, so i changed out the center sections of the axles and its working great. easy way to tell is on the diff cover tag it will say 3.27 its its NOT posi, and 3L27 or 3LS27 if it is posi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 4.6 2 valve in a 68 F100

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.