Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

new small engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new small engines

ok so the last few years I have noticed that lawn mowers, and other small engine powered equipment has dropped a HP rating and either have a torque rating or a cc number. Now how am I suppose to know what I'm getting based off of that? What was wrong with HP numbers? Why can't things like this be left alone, If I was buying a motorbike then I would give a S*#T what the cc displacement was

Old 08-24-2009, 06:15 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, Briggs starting using torque as their descriptor because they claim it more accurately reflects the work cpability of the engine.
Torque is the twisting force measured at the crankshaft.
However, it is only useful when comparing Briggs to Briggs unless and until the other mfrs start listing gross torque on their labels as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ckal704
Well, Briggs starting using torque as their descriptor because they claim it more accurately reflects the work cpability of the engine.
Torque is the twisting force measured at the crankshaft.
However, it is only useful when comparing Briggs to Briggs unless and until the other mfrs start listing gross torque on their labels as well.
Well thats great, but maybe I don't give a hoot if it more accurately reflects.... what you said. That sounds like what AMD did a few years ago with their CPU's. They rated them to how they performed and not what their clock speed was. My take on it is some hot shot marketing punk convinced somebody by doing that they would sell more engines. Ok fine give me the torque and the HP, and if you want to give me cc's then I want all the specs!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:14 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
I got caught in this one, although it really didn't matter. I bought a cheap lawn mower, and I was surprised that it said '4.5'. When I finally got around to RTFM, I think that it was 4.5 in oz -- well maybe it was ft -lb. (There was no indication on the unit what the 4.5 meant)

Lawnmower does what I needed it to do -- but not what a 4.5 HP would do.

However, I agree with the OP. There is a lot of general experience with engines rated in HP. I'm sure that it's not extremely accurate, but I have a general feel for what various HP engines will do.

Might not be as true with newer engines. Older engines seemed to have pretty similar power profiles from all that I could tell. Maybe newer ones don't.

Does Briggs publish any kind of explanation of their new rating?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
you can punch the specified torque and the typical 3600 RPM into any of the online calculators and get HP that way. Extra work but at least then you can compare apples to apples.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by frederic
you can punch the specified torque and the typical 3600 RPM into any of the online calculators and get HP that way. Extra work but at least then you can compare apples to apples.
Oh Yeah, how about a link?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM
BillC
Elder User

Click on articles/specs at top of this page and click on automotive calculators, then brake hp.

Last edited by BillC; 09-25-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
It probably is something similar to what happened to compressors a few years back (at least the sears ones). Where they had to start putting the running HP rating, instead of the starting HP rating which they had been using.
Torque might be a better way to rate lawnmowers, hell if I know...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
tigerman
Senior User
Thanks, Phinxter. I thought that I was the only one with this problem/attitude.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torque X RPM / 5252

5 ft. lbs. at 3,600 / 5252 = 3.42 HP @ 3,600 RPM

This formula, if you know the torque at a specific RPM, gives the horsepower developed at THAT RPM. To get the true picture, you need the torque curve and then calculate HP at various RPM to determine where the horsepower peak is located in the band.

I'm not sure that it is safe to assume that the specified torque is always at 3,600 RPM, but Briggs may be putting it out that way.

I agree with the remarks about the marketers. They are nothing but politicians trying to spin the facts to suit themselves.