The last Drive-In Theater - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

The last Drive-In Theater

Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Post Fiend

Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
The last Drive-In Theater

The De Anza drive-in theater closed it's gates Saturday night for the last time. started in 1951 as the Cactus theater, It has been an Iconic landmark for Tucson.
Just as the horse and wagon were replaced by the model A so goes the drive-in movie theater.

remember the double feature's and the crapy speaker box that never worked when you pluged it in to the post? Excuse me while i Lament.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
In favor of what? The DVD player?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Post Fiend

Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
Technology has come a long way! if you had to use the head you missed part of the movie.... now..... Stop, rewind, fast foward, Pause, and my favorite Eject!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
Yeah, and if it's a really bad movie you can use it for a frisbee!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputation
not too many of them left anywhere, there seems to only be 4 left in az.
Drive-In List
Old 10-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Post Fiend

Well, only 3 if you scratch off deanza from the list

You know, I am suprized that there are any left!

At the San Manuel drive in my uncle Mike ran the movie projector. wind blew the screen down so many times the owners just closed it up back in the 70's there was a drive-in theater in Mammoth AZ at one time! there was 5 or 6 in Tucson way back when!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputation
the one I like is in Seligman, it is right on I40 next to the cemetery, i think that would be a fun one to watch some horror movie at.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Post Fiend

AzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud ofAzBlueWolf has much to be proud of
I havent been to a drive in here in az yet...better hurry up I guess!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Posting Guru

GregsSD has a very good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a very good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a very good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a very good reputation on FTE.
We used to have 4 drive-ins in my area, They all disappeared back in the 80's. Now 1 is a Walmart, 1 is condos, 1 is a golf driving range.
I'll never forget when I was a kid seeing Jaws at the drive-in!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Elder User

IsoGrifo is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Scottsdale one seems to be doing well, I've been a couple times, I like that the sound comes through your radio instead of the boxes, you can just sit outside the lot and seek for the signal, watch it WITH SOUND for FREE!!! haha
Old 10-17-2009, 03:29 PM
So Little To Say!!!

BIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputation
We have one left in Western Massachusetts...a pretty busy place on the weekends. Of course...it can't be open year round like in AZ.

When I was growing up...there were 5 within 1/2 hour drive of my house. Used to have a lot of fun watching the movies from the back seat!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsoGrifo View Post
The Scottsdale one seems to be doing well, I've been a couple times, I like that the sound comes through your radio instead of the boxes, you can just sit outside the lot and seek for the signal, watch it WITH SOUND for FREE!!! haha

Ha! No wonder they are going away.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Posting Guru

flatbeder has a very good reputation on FTE.flatbeder has a very good reputation on FTE.flatbeder has a very good reputation on FTE.
i can remember seeing Jurasic Park at the one in Glendale,AZ...it was hot as hell and the sound from the movie blew up there little speakers...i wonder if that drive-in is still open? have to check when i get home...
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbeder View Post
i can remember seeing Jurasic Park at the one in Glendale,AZ...it was hot as hell and the sound from the movie blew up there little speakers...i wonder if that drive-in is still open? have to check when i get home...
I was down there the beginning of this month on the west side of it picking up a transmission and it looked like it was still open, I was there in the middle of the day so nothing was showing!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:19 AM
Elder User

bigunred is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They are a great way for kids to experience entertainment from another time. it's sad to see them go. We had fun with the kids when they we smaller, we'd pop the top on the Bronco,and back into the screen. They would usually be asleep by the end of the first movie. the summer storms would add to the experience, can't get that at harkins.