6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

White smoke and loss of coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
stocksuperduty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile White smoke and loss of coolant?

I have an 03'F-250 6.0 FX4. It started to smoke white then it would quit. It did it a couple of more times. It didn't do it for about a month then it started again a couple of days ago. It has 137,000 miles on it. I tried to start it at a restaraunt in town and I had to bump the starter to get the engine to turn over. It was like it had coolant on top off the piston is my assumption. Once I got the engine free it started up. It smoked white for the next hour it spent idling in the parking lot. On the way home it has quit and hasn't done it since. Any help or advice would be appreciated. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
arno
Senior User
Sounds like your ERG cooler is going or gone. Get that looked at ASAP!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I would say definitely your EGR cooler. You're lucky you didn't hydrolock it and bend a connecting rod. Check into an EGR delete if your area allows.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
go6.0go
Freshman User
Originally Posted by stocksuperduty
I have an 03'F-250 6.0 FX4. It started to smoke white then it would quit. It did it a couple of more times. It didn't do it for about a month then it started again a couple of days ago. It has 137,000 miles on it. I tried to start it at a restaraunt in town and I had to bump the starter to get the engine to turn over. It was like it had coolant on top off the piston is my assumption. Once I got the engine free it started up. It smoked white for the next hour it spent idling in the parking lot. On the way home it has quit and hasn't done it since. Any help or advice would be appreciated. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

It sound like stetched head bolts to me but I could be wrong.

However, I don't know if the EGR Cooler will cause it to smoke white for that long period of time.

I'm thinking Hydro-lock and that comes from a blown headgasket or stetched head bolts.

JMO go6.0go

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by go6.0go
It sound like stetched head bolts to me but I could be wrong.

However, I don't know if the EGR Cooler will cause it to smoke white for that long period of time.

I'm thinking Hydro-lock and that comes from a blown headgasket or stetched head bolts.

JMO go6.0go
Haven't seen coolant get into the cylinders YET from blown headgaskets on a 6.0. Not saying it can't happen, it's just VERY VERY VERY rare. The MOST common cause of white smoke out the tailpipe is from the EGR cooler leaking coolant into the intake and then the cylinders.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EGR cooler is bad. A general rule of thumb is that if you have white smoke, the egr cooler is bad. If you have "puking" or the coolant is venting out of the degas bottle, its headgaskets. Now, that is just a generalization, and there will be exceptions to the rule, but its true most of the time.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
stocksuperduty
New User
thanks everyone for your imput. I will let you know what happened when I get it diagnosed. Everything you all are coming up with makes sense and again I thank you for your time.