Sponsored by: DP Tuner

funnny noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funnny noise

I have been hearing a metal noise from the right front that sounded like a wire brush when ever the truck was moving and getting an occasionly clunking noise when backing up and hitting the brakes. Sometimes when rolling forward and hitting the brakes I would get a clunk. Yesterday I checked ujoints and drive shafts and all was good. I then tried jacking the right front to pull the tire and found my 1 1/2 ton floor jack won't lift this thing at all. Ran out of muscle trying to work the hydraulic lever.
So I went to my local truck mechanic and put her on the hoist. We found a total failure of the inside brake pad on the drivers side. All that was left was the pad backing lodged between the bracket and the rotor. A little waer on the caliper piston ends where they had made contact with the rotor. Passenger side pads looked almost new. Calipers on both sides were free to travel and not frozen up. Not real sure what the cause of this was but we replaced the drivers side roto and all pads on the front axle. Did A little pad breake in on the way home. Last set of pads were from Car Quest, these parts are all from NAPA. We'll have to see but I don't hear anymore unusual nosies now.