View Poll Results: Which is better?
Shift on the Floor (Manual Shifter)
85.29%
Shift on the Fly (Automatic Button)
11.76%
I don't know.
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Shift-on-the-FLY or Shift-on-the-FLOOR ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
JoeyGowdy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift-on-the-FLY or Shift-on-the-FLOOR ??

The 2003 F-250 XLT 4x4 I bought has the Shift-on-the-Fly automatic button 4x4... what steps (and cost) would it take to convert it to the Shift-on-the-Floor manual shifter 4x4? Is there an online step-by-step guide with pictures for this?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You will require a different transfer case. This is not just an electric actuator that replaces a lever that sticks up through the floor.
Notice that your selector switch has no postion for neutral? The manual transfer case does.
These are small differences that make the two cases entirely different.

I know what your post is asking, but technically all transfer cases are "shift on the fly".

Grab a handfull of transfer case lever and select 4wd. As long as the front hubs are locked, the transfer case will permit engagement.
Your "ESOF" or electronic shift on the fly, system is only bad because of the potential for leaks at the front hubs. Engagement is difficult and problematic.
These problems are solved by installing manual locking hubs, and using the selector switch like normal.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
JoeyGowdy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, the front hubs are manual lock-ins... hopefully there won't be any problems with the esotf button.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Ur hubs should have a "auto" position and a "lock" position, unless someone swapped them out already. U really don't have to put them to "lock" unless something isn't workin right....

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
It depends on what you consider "better":

If reliability is your definition then the manual is the way to go.

If convenience is your definition then the electronic is the way to go (and to stay dry)

I've done my days of jumping out in the rain/mud to lock/un-lock the hubs. Now that I'm older and (maybe) wiser, I'll stay in the cab with the wife and kids. Plus it's hard to find a used Lariat with a manual engagement system...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
If reliability is your definition then the manual is the way to go.

If convenience is your definition then the electronic is the way to go (and to stay dry)\

sorry but I don`t agree that statement. If I`m in snow then I`ll get out and lock in hubs so I know I`m in 4 wheel drive. Id just rather get wet I guess for peace of mind.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
hey Brian is that your real plate as an avatar? Very cool

Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hanklin
hey Brian is that your real plate as an avatar? Very cool
Just an avatar. A picture of a CA plate, some free text samples of "penitentiary gothic" from the internet, a little Microsoft Paint and, viola, free personalized plates!

With what CA charges me for registration EVERY year, personalized plates are out of the question...

Old 10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why does convenience and reliability have to be comnsidered anywhere near the same thing. In all of the SD's I Have ownerd over the years, including the ex wifes excursion. I have yet to ever have an ESOF system function reliably. Convenience is when something works when you need it to.
Getting wet or cold only means that the operator was not prepared for an off road journey.
When I know that I will be using 4wd, I lock the hubs before I ever get to the point of needing it. I have yet to get wet or dirty or cold when I prepare my rig before I get to the point of no return.

How many guys actually check thier 4wd system before they head out? Pretty low number, and you can take that to the bank.
Even my Sd's with either ESOF or ESOS (yes electronic shift on stop) were fairly reliable after the front hub (auto style) were upgraded to manual style.
When locked they locked, and when dis-engaged, you could count on it.

I laugh when I see many 4wd trucks, with auto locking hubs driving down the freeway with the front driveshaft turning. Stuck hubs, or a hub that did not dis-engage when the little **** was turned is a common problem that many take for granted and never check.

Part of my ritual is to check components for servicebility before, and after use, and verify that everything is working properly.
Yes, I grab each front axle stub to make sure that it is disengaged after use.

I also usually know when I will require 4wd, and for this times, the hubs get locked.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 75F350
Why does convenience and reliability have to be comnsidered anywhere near the same thing.
The question was which do you think is "better". Everybody has a their own definition of better depending on what they place importance on.

I have yet to ever have an ESOF system function reliably. Convenience is when something works when you need it to.
After I bought my truck and fixed the ESOF, I have not had a problem since (2 years and counting). I usually off-road at least once a month (if not more). Even if I don't, I'll find some dirt at least once a month and drive around in 4wd for a bit to make sure I exercise the system on a routine schedule to make sure all my parts are working correctly.

Getting wet or cold only means that the operator was not prepared for an off road journey.
When I know that I will be using 4wd, I lock the hubs before I ever get to the point of needing it. I have yet to get wet or dirty or cold when I prepare my rig before I get to the point of no return.
I disagree. Not all my off-roading will require me to claw my way around with all 4 wheels. Since it is a "part-time" 4wd system, that's exactly what I use it for. I don't necessarily want to spin my axles for 80% of the day, I'd rather engage when I need it (back to that "convenience" thing again).

As for the "prepare" part, my bed is full of tools, food and water when I leave the pavement. I also never leave the road without a full tank of fuel. You never know what is going to happen out there, and I'm prepared for most of it. Since my wife and two kids love to off-road too, I make sure that I'm prepared to camp out in the cab for the night if need be (you can never be too prepared). And I never travel alone. I've been plenty later than anticipated, but I've never been stuck on the trail or left my rig to go back for it. That includes busting a leaf 4 miles from the pavement and 90 miles from home. It was a slow ride, but I made it home on 2x4's and zip ties holding my frame up (it was only the auxiliary spring up front, the main spring was still whole).

I laugh when I see many 4wd trucks, with auto locking hubs driving down the freeway with the front driveshaft turning. Stuck hubs, or a hub that did not dis-engage when the little **** was turned is a common problem that many take for granted and never check.

Part of my ritual is to check components for servicebility before, and after use, and verify that everything is working properly.
Yes, I grab each front axle stub to make sure that it is disengaged after use.
I do the same as well. My wife agrees that some time in the garage with my tools is better than spending my time at the Ford parts department with my wallet!

2 hours in the driveway now is better than $500 at the dealership later I always say!

Sure, I would prefer a mechanical system like my dad's Chevy, but when it fails, he's done. He doesn't have a manual back-up like my SD (yes, I know there is no back-up to the transfer case, but it's usually the vacuum hubs that fail).

Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I voted for the shift on the fly, mostly because I'm lazy. Mechanically, it's not a great system and has the potential to be a huge hassle (as my '00 has become now) but the first 5-6 years that it worked, it was flawless and engaged everytime I needed it (used to wheel alot when I lived in AZ). To get it to work now, I have to fuss with the auto/lock and half the time the hubs don't disengage so I'm stuck with engaged hubs and even crappier gas mileage than I already get. I've had them apart and cleaned/lubed but that didn't help for long. I need to dump the auto hubs, get some manuals, plug the vacuum lines and I'll be set.

In my opinion, converting over to a manual setup is not worth the effort but if you have the time and money, go for it.