Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can someone please define "traditional" hot rodding?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
thendrix
Elder User
thendrix has a good reputation on FTE.thendrix has a good reputation on FTE.

I posted this question on the HAMB and it got deleted rather quickly. My question is, what does "traditional" or "old school" mean when talking about hot rodding? If it means sticking to things that have been done in the past, then that to me means copying someone elses work. If it means doing things your own way, then how can it be considered "traditional" or "old school" if it is something new?

How can someone look at a 60 year old truck and say it's not "traditional" because it has a modern drivetrain or modern comforts, and then look at a model T or model A with a 50's or 60's drivetrain and comforts from that era and say that it is "traditional"? What is the difference?

Personally I think the whole idea of a "traditional" hot rod is an excuse for doing things the same way as someone else.

Anybody have a definition or want to tear me a new one over this? Have at it.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
from Hot rods

A traditional hot rod is put together to look like it was built (or could have been built) decades ago, by using as many parts as possible that were made no later than the Fifties or the Sixties at the latest.

The first step in planning a project car is to decide on what you want to end up with when the car is finished. The goal is to pick a theme for the car and stay with it. My taste in hot rods leans toward cars that were built (or look they were built) between the early 1950s and the late '60s, especially in northern California.

Roadsters, phaetons, cabriolets, coupes, sedans, sedan deliveries, and even pickups are all good candidates; but the "phantom" body styles that are often seen on street rods could be considered to be out-of-place on a traditional car.

Whatever era of car you're building, once you have picked a theme for it, it's important to stay within that time frame. For example, a '50s car would have had a generator, not an alternator. To do it right, you're going to have to use bias-ply tires instead of radials. If you're building a car with a '50s or '60s (or even a '70s) theme, you'll want to avoid using parts like small block Chevy center-bolt valve covers, or any other parts that weren't available at the time. Hence the term "period correct". It's easy to miss the point in the eyes of purists. You have to stay with the theme.

Sam

Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 PM
EffieFord
Senior User
EffieFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Haha! You got that over there, too, huh? Yeah, when I joined...I was like, "so I don't know much about the Rad Rod thing."

Ooooh, wrong term to use! I didn't get my butt chewed, but one guy told me "that" term is a big no-no over there.

I'm really not sure what the gig is over there at the HAMB. I don't think me and Little Black fit in, because I do like some chrome and billet. I just don't like it overdone. They say they're into the traditional thing, but I also see cars on there with nice paint jobs and chrome wheels...so I don't know where they draw the line between "cool" and "you're a doofus poser."

So I mostly just read and try to learn. The things they know just blows my mind. I don't know that much about cars or really old stuff for one thing. I have a buncha varied interests and hobbies as it is, I can't be overloading my little blonde head with too much car stuff, I'll blow a gasket. Haha! [Car stuff meaning CARs, like Buicks and Oldsmobiles, I know TRUCK stuff.]

As far as fitting in a theme, I won't "fit" into any one way of building my truck. It's gonna be Mel built. The truck is solid and complete, it's got the original seat cover and spare tire under the bed for Pete's sake...so I'll keep it pretty original, but I will update for safety and driveability. I want it original, but with a little "Mel" thrown in.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
48fordcoe
Elder User
48fordcoe has a good reputation on FTE.48fordcoe has a good reputation on FTE.
I thought it was just me having post deleted from hambs.. thendrix have made my day..I had one post deleted that had over 6000 people look at it in 1 and 1/2 days..

Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
yeh, trucks don't 'hot rod' anyhow..

I call mine a hotrod, cause other people can envision something close..
but can't/don't/wouldn't try to enter a 'hotrod' class.

Sam

Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Here's my first reply post on that thread from the HAMB. "I did not live through the 1930's, 40's, 50's or 60's. That said, anything I do would be considered old school, since I didn't do it back then, of which if I did, then doing it again today would be traditional. Instead I'm more nostalgic of those decades gone by."

Now, it's not so much about copying someone else's work, it's about building yourself a ride to bring yourself back in time to that era to "live and feel" the vibe that era has brought. My childhood that I would want to relive isn't hotrods, it's 1971 Barracudas. I can't afford one, no doubt. Today's "Old Skool" and "ratrods" is not accurate to traditional standards, and is shunned by those who do value traditional standards. I cannot stand the 1990's, 2000's and will likely not be happy with the next decade. Give me a soda fountain stand, a '51 Poncho biz coupe, and a bunch of like minded friends with their cars, all hanging out talking about how they can get their rides to go faster at the next Saturday night drags.

Any truck with a modern drivetrain hidden under the old sheet metal is not a hotrod, it is a resto-rod. Add billet wheels, it becomes a street-rod. Heck, when I mentioned to my dad about using an S10 T5 in my f1 ,he said "what?" I said I plan on making it more like a hotrod. He then said, " It's a truck, not a hot rod." I get the point. And I'm not using a T5.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
chappys4life
Senior User
chappys4life is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dont worry about the hamb. Great place but you have to have thick skin. Read some posts and learn. I have had a few deleted it just takes time.

With them traditional is built in the sense of the era when those cars where still common. So even though it might be a 32 model a it can be done as if its hot rodded in the 60's. Nothing really after early 60's though as they feel you could go into any showroom and order a hot rod so what was the point. Big 2 when it comes to traditional is not using mustang II or fuel injection. On my 53 f100 it still has a flathead but a nailhead or maybe caddy motor would be acceptable.

If I said I had a traditional 31 model a I would go with a flathead, nailhead, hemi, or early sbc. (ie 283, 409, 348). So 3x stromberg 97's or 2x 4 barrels, generator, maybe smoothies or some torq thrusts. No ac, mustang II, fuel injection.

We all have our own styles and what we like dont let it get to you. Also dont get into this label crap and worry. Build and do what you like cause in the end it is yours.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
The HAMB isn't as strictly traditional rods as some think. Lots of slack for gassers, lowriders (old ones), bellflowers, kustoms, etc. Mostly they don't like gold-chainers.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
There is no such thing as traditional anything
Once something is done it can't happen again because time has changed, molecular structure has changed, and a butterfly farted across the ocean.
I'm building a 1948 Ford Panel Truck in the style of a Shop Truck from 1954 just as I would have had I been 61 yrs old then instead of 6.
Time has changed, atoms have changed and doo-doo has occured.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Old F1
Posting Guru
Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
NO SUCH THING ............and who cares? (just ******* that live in their Mothers basement)

Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
thendrix
Elder User
thendrix has a good reputation on FTE.thendrix has a good reputation on FTE.
4tl8 and Old F1 have hit the nail on the head as for what I was looking for. It just kinda chaps me that there forum discription says "preaching the gospel of traditional hot rodding" but when you ask what is traditional hotrodding, they don't have time or room for that.

Thanks to everyone, I just needed to blow off a little steam to some folks who I knew would listen.

BTW 4tl8, the butterfly farting across the ocean comment was hilarious.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
EffieFord
Senior User
EffieFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

I don't like how their forum is setup. There's like one giant forum for ALL discussions...what's that about?

They don't like tattoo threads either. I wanted some good Ford based tattoo ideas and I was like, ooooooh I bet I could get some good ideas, but when I searched there were ZERO tattoo/ink threads.

I thought Ink went with that whole rat rod, er, I mean, rock a billy bad *** thing they're going for?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
You'll find the tattoos thing over on killbillet or other ratrod sites. I have nothing against RR's, but an analogy would be if I was looking for GM info, I wouldn't be here looking. Just saying. I don't object to anything not directly on topic on the HAMB, but many do, because it's been tried ad infinitum. To put things in perspective, up until about 2006 (before the ratrod popularity), there were about 7500 members. Today there's over 110,000. The ratrod thing has pushed into their little community, and it has rubbed them the wrong way. Nowadays, there may be a handful of original members still on there. Some have even created groups on the HAMB, and made them private.

Also, by clicking on "new" every minute or so, everything is brought up updated to most current, and I'm able to keep up with everything, including classifieds. That part I like, because the regular search methods fail since the pages go so fast.

OK, one last edit, lol: In response to Dick. My first '48 F1 will be built as if it was a pusher truck/shop truck in the 50's. The '50 F6 will be a 50's wrecker, and the Fairlane, IH's, and second F1 will be complete new era rods/resto-rods. I just hope the butterfly effect doesn't hit me any harder this year.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by havi View Post
OK, one last edit, lol: In response to Dick. My first '48 F1 will be built as if it was a pusher truck/shop truck in the 50's. The '50 F6 will be a 50's wrecker, and the Fairlane, IH's, and second F1 will be complete new era rods/resto-rods. I just hope the butterfly effect doesn't hit me any harder this year.
I knew you were in this thread thats why I used butterfly instead of a Geico

Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford View Post
I knew you were in this thread thats why I used butterfly instead of a Geico
LMAO, yer too kind!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can someone please define "traditional" hot rodding?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.