Sponsored by: DP Tuner

overdrive has mind of its own after new DP tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down overdrive has mind of its own after new DP tuner

Just plain weird problem. Always had a legacy DP tuner in my 2000 F350, normal person tunes, stock, 40 tow, 80 econo. Jody made me a good reason to upgrade to the newer chip with revised shift points. So, I was without a tuner for a week or so, having pulled out the legacy tuner and shipped it down to him. Got used to the lack of power and squishy stock shift points. I run about 150 miles a day for work and pull a (real) trailer about 60% of the time. Never had an issue with my transmission. Pulled my 12,000 lb skidsteer on my 7000 lb trailer (read: 19,000 lbs) saturday and sunday, about 70 miles each time - no tuner, no issues. Pulled a 6000 lb horse trailer with 2 belgian work horses (read: heavy) about 40 miles this morning - no tuner, no issues. Got my new DP tuner (drive thru, stock, decel, 40tow, 80 econo, smoke 140), installed it (truck off, key out of ignition), started up and headed to another job site, with empty horse trailer in tow. Now, I can no longer use my o/d button to turn off overdrive (or engage it). The button is functionally useless from here on out. For the last 80 miles, this is what I get - Stop for whatever reason, corner, sign, retart, etc. I will either regain overdrive function or lose it. Stop again, and it will work again until the next stop. Stop again and lose overdrive till the next stop. Remember, pushing the od button is a futile effort. Moving the tuner from any setting does nothing but gain or lose power from various settings. I even went to the attempt of removing the tuner, disconnecting the batteries and resetting the factory computer.

Here is the other clinker, When I start the truck, the OD OFF light will come on while the truck is in park, select another gear and the light will remain lit, but then the button will allow it to be shut off. As soon as its back in Park, the od OFF light will stay lit, regardless of button pressing. (this happens now with or withOUT the tuner installed, and has only happened since I installed the tuner this morning)

What the heck happened ?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Great question. Call Jody. He will help you sort it out. Subscribing to hear the solution.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duck fan
Subscribing to hear the solution.
Me as well

Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm thinking there's a glitch that occurred somehow when he downloaded the tunes onto the chip, since it happens in all tunes.

Stewart

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Weird one, subscribing...

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the chip and see if it keeps acting up. There's an off chance that your OD switch wire decided to chafe through and short at the exact moment you decided to change tunes. Gotta love Murphy!! LOL

Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Pull the chip and see if it keeps acting up. There's an off chance that your OD switch wire decided to chafe through and short at the exact moment you decided to change tunes. Gotta love Murphy!! LOL
THats what I'm thinking. I call just an odd coincidence. Those wires are known to chafe and it may be fine in park only

Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Joe and Nic.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
wiccantoy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you checked those wires?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
gonna look tomorrow. may very well be just that simple.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
ok. the problem exists with the tuner removed. This is a 100% repeatable problem - If the od light is on, come to a complete stop, as soon as you release the brake pedal, the od light will go off and all is well UNTIL YOU STOP AGAIN, then repeat.

There is NO life on the od button. Nothing. I tore the column apart today, the wires are fine, the button wires work fine with an ohm meter (push button in, closes contact, etc) No frays anywhere that I can fine. This is something else, but what !!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Since he said this:
Originally Posted by jeffdoerr
I even went to the attempt of removing the tuner, disconnecting the batteries and resetting the factory computer.
I'm thinking the same thing, assuming he's run the chip with the chip removed and is still have the same issue.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
got an update:

Upon advice of ford dealer, I ran code scanner, everything was good.

Here is the next indicator: With the engine running, the shifter in park, the OD light is lit. Pressing the button does NOTHING. Put the truck in ANY gear, the OD light stays lit, but pressing the button will turn it off and back on, like normal. Place the truck back in PARK, the OD light comes on and stays lit, pressing the button does NOTHING. NOW, PRESS and hold THE BRAKE PEDAL and pressing the OD button will turn off the light (and back on as normal). Release the brake pedal and the OD light stays lit and pressing the button does NOTHING.

I will find out tomorrow if the cruise control works. I will also find out if pressing the brake pedal will allow me to engage OD without coming to a complete stop.

Another week of this and I am putting a 6 speed in this.......

Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another week of this and I am putting a 6 speed in this.......
Or you could check for a chaffed wire first. I'd love to have a 6 speed too, but I wouldn't swap it if all I need was to figure out if I needed a button, a new harness for the shifter stalk, or new trans.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
Or you could check for a chaffed wire first. I'd love to have a 6 speed too, but I wouldn't swap it if all I need was to figure out if I needed a button, a new harness for the shifter stalk, or new trans.
He did check all that bro. Ya missed his post.

Nothing. I tore the column apart today, the wires are fine, the button wires work fine with an ohm meter (push button in, closes contact, etc) No frays anywhere that I can fine. This is something else, but what !!!!
Stewart

Quick Reply: overdrive has mind of its own after new DP tuner