6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Better fuel economy than the 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM
thw420
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engine itself may be more efficient, but when you drop it in the much heaver 2011 (vs pre-2003) chassis it's already at a disadvantage MPGwise.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=F350-6;7983805]If you can get similar torque and MPG numbers from a gasser for several thousand cheaper than a big bad diesel that has been choked by the EPA, and even sounds and smells like a gas motor, it makes you wonder how loyal the diesel crowd will be.

--there is, nor there ever will be a production gas motor to produce shy of 800 lbs. of tq. and if they could, it would cost more than a diesel, take a guess how much hp it takes to get a gasser to that kind of tq. and how high the rpm's would have to be,

we can only hope the 6.7 Powerstroke is everthing they say and more, this could very well be fords last run before the loyalist turn to the cummins.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtorque
--there is, nor there ever will be a production gas motor to produce shy of 800 lbs. of tq. and if they could, it would cost more than a diesel, take a guess how much hp it takes to get a gasser to that kind of tq. and how high the rpm's would have to be,

we can only hope the 6.7 Powerstroke is everthing they say and more, this could very well be fords last run before the loyalist turn to the cummins.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Since this thread originally was in comparison to the 7.3, my comments about HP & TQ #'s from a gasser was in comparison to the 7.3, not the 6.7.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Kevin_350
New User
I can't see the highly emissioned 6.7L having more miles per gallon than the less emissioned 7.3L.

If Ford can make a highly emissioned diesel engine with a higher mile per gallon than the Navistar 7.3L and the current Navistar 6.4L, then how come Navistar couldn't make the highly emissioned 6.4L with higher MPG's than it does now?

I'm not saying that if Ford can do it, then anyone can do it. But you would think that Navistar -- "a manufacturer and marketer of medium and heavy trucks and mid-range diesel engines" -- would get everything right the first time.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
wstone
5th Wheeling
Get it right.

I have also wondered why Navistar couldn't get it right, they certainly can't say they didn't get a chance.
So was it the fault of Ford all these years, perhaps micro-managing everything on the motors coming from Navistar? I don't know.
All I do know is Ford needs to get it right this time.

Personally my own truck has multiple cooling, EGR, head gasket issues. However, I have never (knock on wood) had to have it towed. I had it overheat and crap out on my pulling a huge load from Silver City, NM to Phx.....but, I was still able to limp it home with the load, by dumping coolant and fuel into it (got about 5-6 mpg). In retrospect that was better and cheaper than a tow from a big tow truck.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
4_whl_hvn
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am excited to find out how the new 6.7L holds up. If ford fails with this engine, you will see a lot of guys moving away from Ford in the Diesel market.

As far as Navistar is concerned, I interviewed an engineer who worked at Navistar and they said it was the most filthy and disorganized place he has ever worked at. He said that when they had product developement meetings, only half of the attendees showed up. He also said that everybody in management was never really concerned about the lack of focus or lack of organization. I think ford is doing the right thing by moving away from Navistar. Will they be successful on thier own? Only time will tell. For our sake, I hope they are.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote=Kevin_350;8163668]I can't see the highly emissioned 6.7L having more miles per gallon than the less emissioned 7.3L.

If Ford can make a highly emissioned diesel engine with a higher mile per gallon than the Navistar 7.3L and the current Navistar 6.4L, then how come Navistar couldn't make the highly emissioned 6.4L with higher MPG's than it does now?

I'm not saying that if Ford can do it, then anyone can do it. But you would think that Navistar -- "a manufacturer and marketer of medium and heavy trucks and mid-range diesel engines" -- would get everything right the first time.............................................. ................will they sure missed it with the 6.0 and 6.4's,read this sorry article from the EMS'S,— Ambulance service directors across the nation are swapping horror stories about a diesel engine now in most of the country’s ambulances that’s causing persistent problems. Engines strain EMS services Knoxville News Sentinel "There's no way Ford Can't do better than that",same goes for the UPS driver's,go talk with one and ask the 6.0/7.3 question,they drop daily at our store and as my son's 2004 is back in the shop after ford spent $5000.00 of their money just 8000 mile's ago and it is NOW past the 5 year part of the 5/100,000,(68,000 miles) he's realy up set,the driver told us the 6.0's are in the shop all the time unlike the older higher mileage 7.3's they still have,the dealer here in Starke at this time also has two 6.4's,cab in the air with two new long block's sitting next to them waiting for installing and this is a small dealer in a small town,if this motor fail's it will be 100% the fault of the EPA crap on it,the EPA i understand is why CAT no longer make's over the road diesel's,Cat's sick of all the BS!!!!!! ,just how clean does the EPA want them,I've posted this before but here it is again,see down in the left hand bottom cornor of this chart from Ford doctor's dts, Diesel Technician Society THAT'S W A Y OVER KILL !!!!!!!.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kevin_350
Good questions, but FORD is using the DEF with the 6.7L PSD which will help eliminate the need for so many REGEN's that the 6.4L PSD goes through. If not for the REGEN cycle on the 6.4L PSD, then it would run about the same as the 6.0L and close to the 7.3L PSD. And all at the time with more hp/torque to the ground.

If the 6.7L PSD goes into less REGEN's then the current 6.4L PSD...I predict the mpg's will be very close to the 7.3L PSD. The 6.7L PSD design is that much more efficient over anything on the road today from the competition.

biz

Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 AM
trailer builder
New User
So whats killing the 6.4's? Is it the regen making oil? The people who own the co I manage just bought a new 2010 with the 6.4 and are looking at another one for their son who like me owns a 6.0L. I already told them about the making oil bit and vehemently told him that oil needs to be changed at 5k religiously. I have been to the dealer (repairs on the 6.0 what a surprise) and every time I am in there they have a new trucks cab in the air. I guess I need to talk to the tech and see what his $.02 are.