$200 for oil/fuel change?? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

$200 for oil/fuel change??

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

$200 for oil/fuel change??

Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by silverstang View Post
Average oil change at a dealer on these engines is from 80 to 100 bucks. Its not too bad if you do it yourself. Just do them when they are SUPPOSE to be done. and if you idle alot, watch your hour meter, just because you only put 5k miles on the truck rolling down the road doesn't mean you don't need an oil change. ONLY use motorcraft filters. I can't stress that enough. 99% of the aftermarket oil AND fuel filters are garbage, AND they also give ground for not standing behind the Ford Warranty.
Manual states 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever come 1st. Coolant 105,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes 1st. a lot of people don't notice the time requirement that goes with the mileage requirement. Sort of compensates for trucks that are low usage or high idle.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
silverstang
Junior User
silverstang is starting off with a positive reputation.
In all honestly I would throw what the owners manual says about intervals out the window. Its not correct. Coolant will not last 100k miles (or 5 years).........Coolant should be tested every 15k miles IMO. Any Ford dealership should be able to do this, and if they can't, they aren't doing the work right. Ford requires diesel techs to check the properties of coolant and see if it is still effective enough to do its job. I've seen coolant BAD at 30k miles. You should be able to go into the parts department and buy the cooling system test strips individually so you can do it yourself instead of having to make a trip to the dealer everytime. Call your dealership and speak to the service dept about it.

The most I would ever think about going on an oil change is 5k miles. Also I see too many people driving 15k to 20k miles before a fuel filter service. Hell I had a truck in the shop the other day with factory equipped filters with 69k miles on it!!! Lack of maintenence is the single biggest issue these trucks have.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
In all honestly I would throw what the owners manual says about intervals out the window. Its not correct. Coolant will not last 100k miles (or 5 years).........Coolant should be tested every 15k miles IMO. Any Ford dealership should be able to do this, and if they can't, they aren't doing the work right. Ford requires diesel techs to check the properties of coolant and see if it is still effective enough to do its job. I've seen coolant BAD at 30k miles. You should be able to go into the parts department and buy the cooling system test strips individually so you can do it yourself instead of having to make a trip to the dealer everytime. Call your dealership and speak to the service dept about it.

The most I would ever think about going on an oil change is 5k miles. Also I see too many people driving 15k to 20k miles before a fuel filter service. Hell I had a truck in the shop the other day with factory equipped filters with 69k miles on it!!! Lack of maintenence is the single biggest issue these trucks have.
I consider the book requirements the minimum requirements. You have to tell people something or some would never do anything till it froze up and then they would want it covered under warranty.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM
silverstang
Junior User
Well take my advice for what it is worth. I don't know WHO wrote that section in the owner's manual, but they were told wrong. 10k mile intervals for oil changes? Please don't do that. You will be suprised if you actually start testing the coolant in these vehicles also. Its not going to last that long. I recommend fuel filters every other oil change also.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
Even tho I have an 05 we are on the same page. Oil every 5,000 and fuel filters every other oil change. I am also using syn. oil and still doing the changes every 5,000 or 6 mo. Ext. tranny filter every 10,000.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
silverstang
Junior User
Sounds like a good maint. plan you have. Like I said, a lack of maintenance is the number one reason for problems on these trucks (6.0 and 6.4). Also keep an eye on those air filters. Those do a pretty decent job at filtration though, and unless you are in EXTREMELY dusty/dirty environments, you should be ok. If you take care of them, and don't run garbage fuel in them (most BIO diesel fuel comes to mind here lol) they should last a long time.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Well take my advice for what it is worth. I don't know WHO wrote that section in the owner's manual, but they were told wrong. 10k mile intervals for oil changes? Please don't do that. You will be suprised if you actually start testing the coolant in these vehicles also. Its not going to last that long. I recommend fuel filters every other oil change also.
Why is it every armchair engineer knows more than the folks that built the truck?

My work truck uses 10 gallons of oil, and goes 40,000 miles on an oil change. 548,076 miles and counting, without any internal engine problems. No expensive synthetics. Simply Rotella 15W40.

Why can't a PSD, using 1/4th the amount of oil go 1/4th the distance? If Navistar will warrant my engine for 100,000 miles with that oil change interval, there's got to be something to it...

Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
silverstang
Junior User
Im not an armchair engineer, nor did Ford Engineers write the owners manual. ALSO, those manuals are wrote when the truck is first produced. Things change. Ford has realized, that those aren't correct intervals. MAYBE if you just drove around, in perfect weather all the time, not towing, not doing ANYTHING but driving on a giant desert made out of concrete with no dirt around, then yea, it could go that long. I'm just stating what I know. You can drive your 6.4 10k miles on a single oil change and might not have a problem, BUT many, MANY people have. Same with fuel filters. Same with air filters. Coolant, ehhh, thats a toss up. Best advice on that is go to the dealership and get the test strips.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
Why is it every armchair engineer knows more than the folks that built the truck?

My work truck uses 10 gallons of oil, and goes 40,000 miles on an oil change. 548,076 miles and counting, without any internal engine problems. No expensive synthetics. Simply Rotella 15W40.

Why can't a PSD, using 1/4th the amount of oil go 1/4th the distance? If Navistar will warrant my engine for 100,000 miles with that oil change interval, there's got to be something to it...
No offense but you really don't give alot of info on your work truck for people to respond to. That includes cubic inches per h.p. for some type of comparison.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
No offense but you really don't give alot of info on your work truck for people to respond to. That includes cubic inches per h.p. for some type of comparison.
You're right, I didn't. Honestly I didn't think it was that important. My work truck is a 2006 Kenworth T-600 with a Caterpillar C15 engine. Peak HP is 450, peak torque is 1,750 ft-lbs.

The manufacturer specifies 25,000 mile oil change intervals for the long-haul OTR work we do. My company uses 40,000 mile oil change intervals on their entire fleet, which is nearly 3,000 trucks.

I'm up to 548,190 with no problem. Will be trading this truck in soon, as it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

The point I was trying to make is that repairing or replacing a PSD in a pickup truck is a very expensive thing to do. An engine replacement due to improper lubrication costs somewhere around $15,000. If you follow the manufacturer's recommendations, THEY would be on the hook for that repair bill, not you. Therefore, they have a vested interest in getting their maintenance schedule right. Ford has been making pickup trucks for a very long time, and the same can be said of Navistar and diesel engines. It's downright naive to assume that the folks that built the engine are wrong about something that could cost them BILLIONS.

Have you read your diesel supplement? If your use meets the definition of severe service, then you're right it's every 5,000 miles for an oil change. Likewise 10,000 miles on the fuel filters. If it doesn't meet the definition of sever service, it's supposed to be 10,000. Or less if that's what makes you comfortable.

Just curious, have you done an oil analysis that demonstrates that 10,000 is too long? Or that 5,000 is about right?

Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 PM
silverstang
Junior User
I'm not here to say your wrong or argue with you. Name one place in this region that is NOT severe duty. That is what my post about "big desert full of concrete not towing anything in perfect weather" was about. There isn't one. 10k miles IS TOO MUCH for these engines in any conditions. Due to the regeneration functions, and the EGR systems on these engines, the oil doesn't last even as long as previous diesel engines. It gets contaminated fairly fast on these engines. Compare how black the oil is to a 6.0 diesel engine. It loses its effectivness. You can go by the intervals in your owners manual if you want. I'm not telling you NOT to, but I am giving you my advice and telling you it is not a good idea.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Tom
Well I can certainly meet you halfway here!

My truck just had it's first oil change at 4,250 miles. I had a few hundred miles towing something heavy, and I figured with the engine breaking in I might as well get it done a bit early.

I'm likely going to have about 650 miles towing on this next 5,000 mile cycle, so I'm going to change it at 10,000 next time. I'll pay for a Blackstone oil sample, and I'll scan and post the results. It'll take me a few months to get there, but I will post it.

Sound good? We'll settle this...all in good time!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:34 PM
silverstang
Junior User
That would be cool if you can do that. You will find traces of diesel fuel to name one thing you are going to find. I'm going to go out on a limb and say your oil level will be anywhere from 1 to 4 quarts overful. I have seen them more and less than that, so give or take a little bit.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Tom
Okay, I'll post a new thread when I get to that point. Probably around January or February, depending on my usage...

Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
silverstang
Junior User
You will be pleasently suprised at what they find. I'm no oil analyzer, so I cant tell you what all that garbage is lol, but they do get alot more contaminated than a 6.0 or even a 7.3