1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What tech subjects would you like to see more info on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sam - you can search by "last posting date", we intentionally don't include last posting date in determining relevancy, as we have found it pollutes the results.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Sam - you can search by "last posting date", we intentionally don't include last posting date in determining relevancy, as we have found it pollutes the results.
thanks.. when configuring our search engine (in our support site support.ca.com), one of our primary objectives was NOT to have to train the user.. what does 'pollute' mean?

Sam

Old 09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by sdetweil
thanks.. when configuring our search engine (in our support site support.ca.com), one of our primary objectives was NOT to have to train the user.. what does 'pollute' mean?

Sam
We have the option of doing such a thing (think of it like Google), the issue is, when searching a forum, most people (like Julie for example) knows what post they are looking for, but they may remember entirely different aspects, and we ant to give users the ability to parse it out based on what they remember. I.e. who posted it, when it was posted, what forum, what the topic was on etc. etc.

I don't want to do the whole "its hard", but with trying to search a database the size that FTE is with a full text search its like trying to hit a moving target with a bow and arrow with a stiff side breeze.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

We have the option of doing such a thing (think of it like Google), the issue is, when searching a forum, most people (like Julie for example) knows what post they are looking for, but they may remember entirely different aspects, and we ant to give users the ability to parse it out based on what they remember. I.e. who posted it, when it was posted, what forum, what the topic was on etc. etc.

I don't want to do the whole "its hard", but with trying to search a database the size that FTE is with a full text search its like trying to hit a moving target with a bow and arrow with a stiff side breeze.
yes, ADVANCED search (additional input parameters) with date, author, blah bah..
THAT is completely different than default behaviour

Sam

Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Julie, do you have the exact forum entry that WOULD satisfy your search request..
then they can examine WHY this entry was not found.

Adrian,

I also will add that I 'expect' the search engine to honor my syntax request using commonly defined parameters.. if I quote the string, then I am looking for THAT EXACT string.
NOT any of the parts of the string. "CARRIER BEARINGS" means ONLY those two words side by side.. not carrier and not bearings and NOT bearings carrier either.

I also never can understand how relevance can give me the OLDEST post first.. as humans we are ALWAYS concerned with yesterday as compared to last year.
(I've had this problem with the search engine we installed at work too.. which required some algorithm tweaks).

Sam
Hi Sam,

Yes, the exact thread link is on line 10 of post 26. In post 26 I explained the problem initially but apparently communicated poorly.

Do you remember when you had your one wire alternator hook up problem? That turned out to be an invaluable thread with tons of information collectively that would be very difficult to find in a single source any where else - same thing with that one. Could just be me - what an idiot!

I have saved over 200 of these kinds of threads to Favorites to reference when needed. I did that to elliminate the time and effort of "flipping" through hundreds of pages of "relevent" information that was not "applicable."

All of you guys brought up another great point (as initially mentioned by Ross) and that is if you can remember the date or the poster, you really can elliminate out all the junk in the advanced search. But even with my memory, I can remember all that stuff, if I could, I'd be "in like Flynn!"

Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
yes, ADVANCED search (additional input parameters) with date, author, blah bah..
THAT is completely different than default behaviour

Sam
You have the opportunity to save your own default behavior for the advanced search.

The majority of users will most likely utilize the default (relevancy), more advanced users (such as yourself) might be more inclined to change the default option to "last post date" for example.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

You have the opportunity to save your own default behavior for the advanced search.

The majority of users will most likely utilize the default (relevancy), more advanced users (such as yourself) might be more inclined to change the default option to "last post date" for example.
yeh, but I think the concensus vote out here is that "the default (relevancy)" isn't what we want as the default. based on our experience..

Sam