Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom dash mounted gauge pod example

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Johnny L
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom dash mounted gauge pod example

I decided to post an example of a custom gauge pod I made for my ’88 F-350 diesel. I didn’t want to spend money and also didn’t like anything I could find on ebay for a dash mounted gauge pod. They are hard to find for these years of truck, especially for the dash, and I didn’t want pillar gauges. It holds 4 gauges that have a 2-5/8” bezel. The 87-91 trucks have a very flat center dash which I felt was the best place to mount my gauges.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I used sections of 3” OD exhaust pipe and welded them to a simple frame at the desired angle facing the driver. The 2-5/8” gauges slide nicely into the pipes and are then secured into the tabs at the back.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I wrapped an old T-shirt around the frame and glued it in place, careful to keep it tightly glued in the bezel areas. I brushed fiberglass resin into the shirt and let it harden. You don’t need to use actual fiberglass cloth, it would be stronger, but a shirt is just fine, and free. I then sanded the hell out of it and painted it to match my interior. I then used the appropriate size hole saw to cut out the gauge holes.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> The bottom of the pod was kept open as this will be where all the wires are accessed and can go through the dash.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
I used adhesive Velcro strips to secure it to the dash, works great for easy removal when necessary to mess with the wiring or add/remove gauges. I drilled straight into the dash and the wires go into the area behind the stereo just fine. There is a heater pipe to be avoid when drilling.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> When wiring in the gauges, give yourself some extra slack so that when you lift the pod off the Velcro there is enough to flip the pod over and rest it on the dash or your knees upside down. This will make any wiring changes much easier. The extra wiring can be tucked into the pod when you put it back in place.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->I still haven’t added the last 2 gauges. They are going to be boost and oil pressure when I get my turbo installed. Hopefully soon! Enjoy your projects!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
That's awesome! Good work, Johnny! Very creative way to go about it, especially with the old tee shirt as the "upholstry."

Plans for the empty spots?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Johnny L
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I actually got the idea from another memeber that did a similar thing in place of the ashtray. Only the smaller gauges fit there though, and you won't fit 4. I will add boost and oil pressure when i get the turbo in.

Here it is. Thanks 73FOMO!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
92 Black Nite
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is some nice work.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I am looking to do that with my 89 F250. I'll be using smaller gauges and try to make it more flush with the front. You gave me some helpfull hints!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!