1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck "wanders" on the highway

Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Truck "wanders" on the highway

My truck really seems to "wander" on the highway......I really feel like I'm constantly correcting the steering to keep it in a straight line.

I recently replaced the tires, ball joints, and got an alignment.

20K ago I got new front shocks, (Blisteins) and replaced most of the other front end components. (pitman arms, etc) Rear shocks are the originals.

It seems to happen the most on rougher pavement. If I hit a patch of bumpy highway, the truck seems to go all over the place.

Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
Sounds like a steering stabilzer is in order. Are you running stock tires or have you replaced them? Any lift on the truck.

Even if you didn't lift the truck or put off road tires on there a steering stabilizer would help to firm the steering up.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
From your profile I see you have an 2001. I take it you are on your original steering box? If so you can probably adjust it some to remove part of the slop. To do so loosen the lock nut on the top of the steering box and then use a hex socket or wrench to tighten no more then 1/4 turn. Retighten the lock nut and take a test drive. Rinse and repeat being very careful not to go to tight. If you do you can cause binding in the steering box and destory it.

This is just a band-aid and eventually you'll need to replace the steering box. I installed one from Red Head Steering. So far it's been worth every penny.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...installed.html

Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have same problem, thanks i added rep points!!! to op and last poster!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just replaced the steering box on my 08 350 for the same problem.

got it back today.. finally comfortable driving..

Sam

Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going the Redhead route as well, (call them and talk to Harvey Foster. You'll be sold. Supposedly, he's rebuilt over 48,000 gearboxes.) I am also looking for a good steering stabilizer assembly, because I do not have one stock. Any suggestions?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monster-4
From your profile I see you have an 2001. I take it you are on your original steering box? If so you can probably adjust it some to remove part of the slop. To do so loosen the lock nut on the top of the steering box and then use a hex socket or wrench to tighten no more then 1/4 turn. Retighten the lock nut and take a test drive. Rinse and repeat being very careful not to go to tight. If you do you can cause binding in the steering box and destory it.

This is just a band-aid and eventually you'll need to replace the steering box. I installed one from Red Head Steering. So far it's been worth every penny.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...installed.html

I actually tried this a few weeks ago, but I found that the tighter steering made it worse. I was under the impression that you wanted SOME slop on the larger trucks. When I tightened it a quarter turn, the input seemed to sudden and actually made it harder to control the truck.

Is steering really what is causing my problem? I thought it would be something else with my suspension or other front end components. I hit a large bump last night and man......the truck just went all over the road. Could it be because I didn't replace the rear shocks? Could my "new" front shocks be worn already?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I highly doubt rear shocks would cause a wonder issue and neither would front shocks. Now if go all over the place when hitting bumps shocks can help control this. Look into replacing the rears first. Also not sure if you have a steering stabilizer or not but you might want to look into adding one or if you have one replacing the shock that is currently there.

For the wondering issue: Wonder and slop are not normal. Your truck will never be a sports car but it should not go down the road with a mind of its own. It should have a direct controlled feel that responds to your input in a predictable manager. If it doesn't you have an issue somewhere in the steering system. It really comes down to figuring out what is wore and replacing it.
You already had ball joints replaced so that shouldn't be a source of your problem (as long as you trust the parts and the installation). So I would have someone turn the steering wheel for you while you lay under the truck and start at the pitman arm and watch as they turn the wheel. If the pitman arm does not move at the same time as the steering wheel than the steering box is worn. From there move onto the drag link and then the tie rods. Watch for slop or movement that does not match the rest of the parts.

I can tell you from experience replacing the steering box made the single biggest improvement in my own wondering problem. I tried adjusting the old one but it did not help much. After replacing it with a Red Head it was like night and day. I now feel like I am driving the truck instead of wrangling it down the road.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monster-4
I highly doubt rear shocks would cause a wonder issue and neither would front shocks. Now if go all over the place when hitting bumps shocks can help control this. Look into replacing the rears first. Also not sure if you have a steering stabilizer or not but you might want to look into adding one or if you have one replacing the shock that is currently there.

For the wondering issue: Wonder and slop are not normal. Your truck will never be a sports car but it should not go down the road with a mind of its own. It should have a direct controlled feel that responds to your input in a predictable manager. If it doesn't you have an issue somewhere in the steering system. It really comes down to figuring out what is wore and replacing it.
You already had ball joints replaced so that shouldn't be a source of your problem (as long as you trust the parts and the installation). So I would have someone turn the steering wheel for you while you lay under the truck and start at the pitman arm and watch as they turn the wheel. If the pitman arm does not move at the same time as the steering wheel than the steering box is worn. From there move onto the drag link and then the tie rods. Watch for slop or movement that does not match the rest of the parts.

I can tell you from experience replacing the steering box made the single biggest improvement in my own wondering problem. I tried adjusting the old one but it did not help much. After replacing it with a Red Head it was like night and day. I now feel like I am driving the truck instead of wrangling it down the road.
The truck does go all over the place when I hit a bump. If I hit road that has had a lot of repair work done to it, or an expansion gap - the truck goes every which direction. I can't tell if its coming from the front or the rear though.

I realize this is a bad comparison, but here is how I would describe it:

When I drive my Maxima, it goes down the road in a very straight line. If I make the slightest steering input, the car instantly responds. If I hit a bump, the car may move very slightly.

When I drive the truck, any bump will make it go left and right. I assume its going back and forth from my attempts to correct it. A small input does not affect the steering at all.

Like I said before - I tightened the steering box and the truck became much more sensitive to steering input. However because I'm constantly having to correct it, it was hard to drive. I was so used to needing more input that I would end up over correcting the movement.

Because the truck still "wandered" with the tightened steering box - would it be more likely that the issue is in the suspension?

I don't have a steering stabilizer. I'm not opposed to adding one, but the truck drove fine until recently. I would think that the stabilizer would just be masking another problem.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:26 PM
senix
Super Moderator
i really think the answer is what I said all along. dual steering stabilizer would help to firm it up and provide more resistance. Making for a better feel of the road.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
i really think the answer is what I said all along. dual steering stabilizer would help to firm it up and provide more resistance. Making for a better feel of the road.
But since the truck drove fine before, wouldn't the steering stabilizer just be masking whatever the problem really is?

I'm not familiar with these - got a link?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
here is a link to mine. What you are decribing is not the death wobble but I think very similar

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...pictureid=5415

Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
could my front shocks be bad?

The front shocks are only two years/20K miles old, but I just did the bounce test on them. I put all 160 lbs into the front fender, and the truck moved up and down several times. Would that be a sign that my "new" shocks have gone bad?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see no mention of alignment here. Insufficient toe-in, or worse - toe-out - can cause wander isssues. Ever been aligned? If so, what was the toe-in measurement after?

-Dave

Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by dstig1
I see no mention of alignment here. Insufficient toe-in, or worse - toe-out - can cause wander isssues. Ever been aligned? If so, what was the toe-in measurement after?

-Dave

I did have it aligned. Stand by, and I'll pull the sheet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck "wanders" on the highway