1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you cover your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you cover your truck?

So what do you do when your truck is too big to fit inside the garage and its not your daily driver? I have thought about buying one of those car port deals but the wife hates the way it makes the house look and Im worried that a wind storm could cause more damage to the truck in the long run.

So what about a truck cover? Some people always cover a vehicle that sits outside all the time, others say they trap moisture and cause rust. Any thoughts or experience? If you are a fan of these covers do you buy generic ones or the custom type made for your cab configuration and bed length? Where do you buy them from?

Thanks in advance for your reply!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
ehchvac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a very expensive, rain shedding, breathable, top of the line car cover on my 55 chevy and it still trapped moisture under it.
Thats my take on covers.
As far as my truck goes it gets covered with whatever is handy, rain, snow, leaves, bird crap, dirt, dust, etc.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
If you have any dust, dirt, road grime, or any other foreign material on your truck when you cover it, the wind will rub the cover into the paint and slowly destroy your finish.

It'll also trap moisture.

I would NEVER put a cover over a car unless it were garaged. Inside a building, the wind wouldn't be a factor, and the cover would keep the dust off.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I park mine outside. It gets too dirty to put a cover on it and I live in a townhouse which means that I don't fit in the garage and I can't get a canopy.

You can either live with it, detail the truck all the time or get a canopy. I've seen some that actually look pretty nice sitting next to a house.

Just my .02

Old 09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Build a small garage or something. Shouldn't be too much to build a small one and you can do it up to look good next to the house.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on the car covers - I stay away from them..
If outside, I would just have it detailed every 6 months or so just to keep the sun damage to a minimum....

We had an Ex when we built and I made sure both garages had taller and wider doors
and the 2nd and 3rd garages are longer

(Still have tow hook 'signatures' punched in the sheet rock in my 3rd garage though !)

Wife asked if I did that to hold the 3rd garage down in a storm !

Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine fits just fine in the garage. That's my cover. If I'm out at a horse show or traveling, it's left to fend for itself in the elements, so far it's holding up well.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Covers outdoors just don't work well. The littlest wind can send them flying. I went through hell trying to keep one on my trans am when I had to store it outside a couple of years ago. I had the front and back tied down and it still managed to come off. It gets covered in the garage. I would really suggest a car port type cover. If it is properly anchored you shouldn't have any worries, that and if there is something that violent you may have other problems beside the car port blowing away!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
I would never put a cover on my truck, it would be pissed at me if i did. I have a really nice top of the line cover for my jeep(just for when the top is off) and it does collect moisture under it and if its dirty it rubs the paint. Also what about the bed? I could imagine it would be a nice pool after a good rain storm.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:37 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Well at my last house my trucks wouldnt fit in the garage. No way to build a carport or additional garage due to being in the city and homeowners rules and such. I dont care what anyone says I couldnt stand living in the city for one more year. Bought a house out in the country. Unfortunately no garage at all. Well, went to some local builders and got my pole barn garage scheduled for build in october. Doors will be 8', 10' and 14'. No more problems and increased my property value

Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
yup pole barns are really nice

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
onedesigntalk
New User
Originally Posted by caprang
So what do you do when your truck is too big to fit inside the garage and its not your daily driver? I have thought about buying one of those car port deals but the wife hates the way it makes the house look and Im worried that a wind storm could cause more damage to the truck in the long run.

So what about a truck cover? Some people always cover a vehicle that sits outside all the time, others say they trap moisture and cause rust. Any thoughts or experience? If you are a fan of these covers do you buy generic ones or the custom type made for your cab configuration and bed length? Where do you buy them from?

Thanks in advance for your reply!!!!
There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a truckwith a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

EmpireCovers-Review

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
I have to agree with the consensus so far. Don't even think about a cover unless you are willing to detail your truck every time before you put the cover on. If you put the cover on with any dirt or dust, it'll just scratch the paint anyway and defeat the purpose of having it.

If you're worried about sun exposure, tint the windows with something that protects from UV, keep a shade in the windshield to protect the rest of the interior and keep a good coat of wax on the paint to help protect from fading. You'll probably still spend less time detailing it than having to wash it to put the cover on.

How often do you drive it anyway?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 AM
GatorFishing
Senior User
Come on now!!!!--Its just a truck. Trucks are ment to get dirty. I cover my harley while its inside a garage. But my truck stays outside to fend for itself.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You in Georgia? North carolina? cc8074369? My sisters down that way, Got pictures of the waves of pollen in the air down that way.

Quick Reply: Do you cover your truck?