1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just found a '52 5 Star...I think????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM
rpol7966
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found a '52 5 Star...I think????

I was cruising the country near my home looking for an old farm wagon running gear. I drove by a lot with some abandoned oilfield drilling rigs. These are small cable tool rigs called spudders. One of them is mounted on a '52 F6. I stopped to look at the truck and to my amazement, it appears to be a 5 star cab. It has stainless trim around the windshield, door panel inserts and arm rests.
What other things should I look for? I'm going back tomorrow to check it out. I have the green light from the owner to get whatever parts I want!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
driver side doors had locks, magic air heater and fresh air ducting, locking glovebox, I think the hood side trim Is different too? At least it is on 51s . I'm not sure what else? One thing I've been wondering about though is the wing window vent frames are sometimes stainless and others just painted? Anyone know those differences?

Sounds like a good deal! Any rust out on the cab corners etc? You should unbolt the cab, front clip, engine, and take all of it or just drag it home.
Good luck
josh

Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Josh,

The 5-Star Extra cabs had chrome wing window frames where the standard cab trucks had black painted frames. I don't think the Magic Aire heater was a mandatory part of the package, though. My '51 F-1 has a 5-Star cab and it never had a Magic Aire where my standard cab '52 F-2 does. My 5-Star truck never had the stainless windshield trim, either. Another thing to look for is electric wipers. They seem to be a relatively rare item. Another must-have 5-Star goodie is the dome light.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Guys!

Here is the list of possible options from a previous thread we had. One note: All the 51 and 52 cabs were "Five Star." The ones with th ebling package were called "Five Star Extra Cab" models.

BOR, unless youare the original owner, there's a good chance the stainless windshield trim was removed from your truck - either to fix a leak or a broken windshield - the strips are a ROYAL PAIN to install and do correctly. Also, once off they are very flimsy and easily ruined. That trim was a standard part of the "Extra" as was the Magic Air heater.

BUT, each of the "Extra Cab" options was available seperately on standard Five Star Cabs. So, I guess it's possible you didn't have an Extra Cab, just a standard cab with a majority of the "Extra Cab" options. So "what's the difference silly girl" you are asking. None, excepth the "Extra Cab" options were sold as a package and were usually less expensive than if the same options were ordered separately.

Also of note is that there were a very good number of options that were installed by the dealers - many more than today (those cocoa mats).

Here's the link to the Extra Cab discussion which includes th eevolution to the "Deluxe Cab" (53/4) and the Custom Cab (55/6):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...extra-cab.html

Also an interesting note on Stainless Steel toward the end by some witch!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 AM
rpol7966
Junior User
I just returned from looking at the F6. It is definately a 5 Star Extra Cab! It has all the options or remnants thereof. No dome light but the door jamb switches are there. One thing I thought was unusual is that the truck has a 6 cylinder engine. The truck is pretty rusty and contains a very large mouse condo!
I want to salvage as many items as possible. I'll take some pictures of it if someone is willing to post them here. I can E-mail them for you to post. With pictures, we can disect this treasure! Tim

Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So, I guess it's possible you didn't have an Extra Cab, just a standard cab with a majority of the "Extra Cab" options.
I seriously doubt that someone went to the trouble of ordering every single "Extra" option separately on my truck and then scrimped on the heater and windshield trim. I doubt that it was even possible to get some of that stuff outside of the package. The Magic Aire heater was optional. It states that right in the list that you posted a link to. As for the windshield trim, who knows? It had a crispy original-looking seal without a trim groove and a Ford Script windshield. Maybe they ran out of trims on the day mine was built.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpol7966
I just returned from looking at the F6. It is definately a 5 Star Extra Cab! It has all the options or remnants thereof. No dome light but the door jamb switches are there. One thing I thought was unusual is that the truck has a 6 cylinder engine. The truck is pretty rusty and contains a very large mouse condo!
I want to salvage as many items as possible. I'll take some pictures of it if someone is willing to post them here. I can E-mail them for you to post. With pictures, we can disect this treasure! Tim
Take the whole truck!

Email the pictures to me and I'll post them for you.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I seriously doubt it as well. I was mearly stating that it was possible to do so.

I have a 5 Star Extra Cab that at the moment also does not have a Stainless Windshield strip, and it did not have a magic air heater when I bought it (or any heater for that matter).

I installed the heater and have the stainless strip/appropriate seal, and also have Ford Scrpt glass - it has definately been installed as a replacement - so like I said, in 60 years you don't know what was added or taken off.

And yes rpol, if it's at all possible, take the entire truck if you can! There are so many different things of value!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I had to take a quick break and didn't get back in time to modify the above post.

I would definately try to take the whole truck, but if youcan't here is a partial list of things that are hard to find and in demand (and a approx amount I saw the last set going for if in good condition California prices):

Ilya will probably have a better handle on this and should jump in as well!

Starting from the front and working back:

Front fenders (upper) (about $400-700 pair)*
Front fenders (lower) (about $75-100 ea)*
Extra Hood Side Spears (about $75/side)*
Windshield Trim (about $200)*
Wind wings (about $75 ea)*
Drivers side door lock (with exterior lock) (about $90)**
Seat with slides (about $125)
Glove box door with lock (about $75)*
Magic Air Heater (with exterior fender duct) (about $200)*
Throttle linkage (about $45)
Trumpet horns (about $45 each)*
Electric wiper motor (about $65)
Heater, wiper, headlight switches (about $25 ea)
Speedometer and gauges (about $65 set) (be sure to get the sending units off the engine)*
Radio (factory - working) (about $150)*
E-brake handle and cables (about $50)
Radio delete plate (about $30)
Speaker cover, ash tray and stainles trim (about $75)
Grille (about $150) Bullets alone (about $65) Headlight buckets (about $65 pair)*
Doors (about $125 ea)
Inside deluxe door panel frames and plates (about $200 set)*
Dome light (Missing but about $65)
Tool Tray (about $45)
Window Regulators ($65)
Valances (upper and lower) (about $75 ea)
Gas tank (about $100)
Gas tank sending unit (about $50)
Back fenders (about $100 ea)
Box ($250)
Original channeled back bumper (about $200)*
Spare tire carrier (about $65)
Radiator (about $100)*

Oil filter, air cleaner, master cylinder, generator and bracket, starter, head, MANIFOLDS!

Be sure that for any piece of electrical equipment you take out, you also take the accompanying switch, and for gauges the sending units.

And I'm sure there's more, but that gives you an idea of some of the items. The ones I've marked with an asterisk (*) are definates to take off hard to find items. But I would still take the whole truck if you can.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
rpol7966
Junior User
Thanks for all your responses. I'm going to go back and look at the truck this evening. I'll take some pictures and try to have 51panelman post them here. The truck is pretty rusty but i'm sure there are many odds and ends that are desirable. I'll try to inventory what parts are still present and salvageable. Thanks, Tim

Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Here are the pictures.

She is pretty rusty!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
This is what I would take:

1. Both doors (eventhough they're missing the channels for the lower interior trim panels)
2. Everything on the dashboard (glove box door, ashtray, speaker grille cover, radio delete plate, switches, etc. Don't drill out the lock on the glove box door.)
3. Transmission floor cover (if it's solid)
4. Windshield trim (take with the entire windshield to prevent damaging the trim - cut the weatherstrip on inside of cab and remove windshield)
5. Electric windshield wiper motor
6. Hood (eventhough missing the additional two spears on the side of the hood - should also have a longer trumpet horn on right side of hood)
7. Oil bath air cleaner
8. Radiator/fan shroud
9. Fuel tank
10. Grille assembly
11. Rear glass (if still in good shape)
12. Running boards (if not too beat up - can be hard to take off without proper air tools)
13. Bench seat
14. Cowl vent
15. Steering wheel
16. Steering column and box (if you feel adventurous)
17. Plates that surround the steering column on floor (should be two or three of them)
18. Pedal to carb linkage

The rest of the truck looks to be too beat up and rusty (by my California standard). The heater is not a Magic Air and is just a common heater for the era.

You could also take off the vacuum 2 spead rear end diaphragm (and all of the connections on the firewall for it) and perhaps the vacuum brake hydro boost if it has one.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
thats a cool old truck! it looks like that front wheel may be a good year split rim?? hard to tell in pic but someone near you may have some use for those wheels to replace their widow makers?? just a though.
the only other thing I'll Add that PanelMan didn't is the doors, I would take both doors too, they don't look to be in too bad of shape? although removing them can be a real challenge, even when you have air tools at your disposal!
those stainless (AKA "bright metal") wing window vent frames can be worth a few dollars as well.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
Josh

Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jmadsen
thats a cool old truck! it looks like that front wheel may be a good year split rim?? hard to tell in pic but someone near you may have some use for those wheels to replace their widow makers?? just a though.
the only other thing I'll Add that PanelMan didn't is the doors, I would take both doors too, they don't look to be in too bad of shape? although removing them can be a real challenge, even when you have air tools at your disposal!
those stainless (AKA "bright metal") wing window vent frames can be worth a few dollars as well.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
Josh
Josh,

I did say both doors. It's #1 on my list.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
LOL ! yes you did! my mistake

must be the short term memory loss? by the time I got to the bottom of the list you had written, I had forgotten what was on the top of the list

thanks for posting the pictures too, Hopefully he has plenty time allowed to remove everything possible from the truck.

I found a 52 F-1 this spring in the local pick and pull but didn't have a lot of time to remove stuff, it worked out ok but I had to be really quick, I even cut the top of the cab off with the sawzall since it was in good shape (the bottom half of cab was rusted through) I was thinking I could use it on the F-6 I have that the top of cab is all smashed in? but havent done it yet, I may have found a better complete donor cab??
Cheers
Josh

Quick Reply: Just found a '52 5 Star...I think????