Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megasquirt 2 install-w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't feel bad...I have no clue either. I'm glad you asked first, I didn't want to be the only clueless one!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mega squirt system is another way to have control over the fuel going into the motor. The goal is to be able to change parameters that operate the motor. Same thing people do now, called tuning. SD system can be tuned but you most commonly hear of people converting to MASS Air and tuning that way.

Just making this change won't necessarily increase your HP or performance, although small gains can be made. These systems are most useful when you have things on the motor that are not stock and well out of the rage the ECU can compensate for, like a stupid blower cam or heads, for example

Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by ng19delta
SO- coming into the thread late, but what is this gizmo, what's it do, will it fit a 91 5.8l E4OD F150, and where does one get one if it does?
Home built EFI. You buy the parts & put it together

It won't run your E4OD, although it looks like there is some support for GM tranies being developed.

Quick google search for "megasquirt":

https://www.google.com/#q=Megasquirt

Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 AM
OldGrayFord
Senior User
For those interested in theses I suggest checking out MegaSquirt | Premier DIY EFI Controller to get info on what's available and what you can do. I have a friends who's dad built a setup to run a 460 injection setup modified for a 500 ci caddy engine in a race car. They tuned it with a laptop, pretty slick setup

Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Thedonk
Tuned
when they talk about batch fire fuel inject what do they mean?

Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Thedonk
when they talk about batch fire fuel inject what do they mean?
Half of an engines injectors are fired all at the same time rather than sequentially as needed.

Odd number cylinders make a batch, the even number cylinders make up the other.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Mightyox
Junior User
Originally Posted by mary-kate
1993 F-150, 4.9L, 5-speed, 4X4
Had the ECU go out; and I'd been wanting to do this for a while anyhow. In the pictures you see I had to cut out the connector for the stock computer. This is for the adapter board that goes in the old ecu case. The adapter makes the installation much faster-and no modifications are needed for the wiring harness on the truck: you just put the computer back in it's spot and run the attached cable to the Megasquirt.

This is a close-up of the epic fail on the stock ECU.

The aforementioned adapter board is assembled and ready to go into the ford ECU case. You can pretty much throw away the stock computer board.

It goes right back in the stock location. The cable goes to the Megasquirt-wherever you want to mount that.

The 'stimulator' sends fake signals to the Megasquirt so it can be bench tested in "real-time" mode.

Been running for almost two weeks now with no problems. Still tuning all of the tables, but am getting 16mpg running mostly rich. Gonna see how much mileage I can tune out of this. When I get the tuning pretty good I will take it to a dyno and post the numbers.
Its two years later. How goes it?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
Actually, from the original post it's been almost 9 years. But yeah I wonder if it ever got dynoed

Old 03-06-2018, 09:28 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last time my friend tried Megaspquirt for his 95 GT, it didn't have any provisions for A/C idle adjustments. Not to mention Megasquirt probably has no real time work with TRUCK computers unlike Mustang computers. So I said, um no thanks, and I used a chip and a real tuner. Unless you think you want to become a tuner and control the AFR of your vehicle with no prior knowledge. All you need is a quarterhorse or Diablosport chip and a competent tuner. No need to convert to MAF like most truck people seem to think. Speed Density is actually easier and more consistent to tune and no retarded wiring mess is needed.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Mightyox
Junior User
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior
Last time my friend tried Megaspquirt for his 95 GT, it didn't have any provisions for A/C idle adjustments. Not to mention Megasquirt probably has no real time work with TRUCK computers unlike Mustang computers. So I said, um no thanks, and I used a chip and a real tuner. Unless you think you want to become a tuner and control the AFR of your vehicle with no prior knowledge. All you need is a quarterhorse or Diablosport chip and a competent tuner. No need to convert to MAF like most truck people seem to think. Speed Density is actually easier and more consistent to tune and no retarded wiring mess is needed.
I want to be able to tune my truck. I've been looking at stinger profomance MS2. I'd just like to add to my gt40p heads with R/Rs, cam, headers and have the truck run.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:15 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
To each his own. But for me, it's a no brainer to spend less money on a chip which plug and plays. Have a professional tune it. Have a warranty. Get a dyno session with a print out and leave with a proper running vehicle and a smile on my face. I build a lot of cool stuff, but have no intention of ever trying my hand at tuning.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:23 AM
Mightyox
Junior User
What's It cost to have it tuned by a pro?

Old 03-07-2018, 04:30 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
I usually get out my tuner for around $500 including the chip. I own a spare quarterhorse, which is not only a chip itself, but also the burner for cheap one time use chips that only cost $50. Once this is setup, if you ever change mods and need a retune they usually charge dyno time of a couple hundred bux at most. Best money spent after modding a vehicle, especially OBD1 stuff that is a hastle to understand how to tune.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Mightyox
I want to be able to tune my truck.
I agree, I'd much rather do it/anything myself also. There's risks involved while learning sure,but not having to rely on someone else is worth it.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Mightyox
Junior User
Originally Posted by Briansshop
I agree, I'd much rather do it/anything myself also. There's risks involved while learning sure,but not having to rely on someone else is worth it.
especially if your build keeps growing.

Quick Reply: Megasquirt 2 install-w/pics