Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PSD is still a POS

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Joe_914
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD is still a POS

OK went in to get the CPS recall done. Ran OK but I think they stuck a different tune into it as well. But after fueling up and going to a meeting last night the truck started that damn stalling thing again.

I am convinced it's fuel delivery so the tank is coming out this weekend. I can only imagine the crud I will find after 10 years and 231,000 miles.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would say on the work order if they did that. They don't to anything at the dealer without recording it. If you're going to drop the tank, do the in-tank mods. It would be quickest to order the kit from ITP Diesel. And that moves any filtering to outside the tank so the tank never has to come out again.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Are you going to do the in-tank and pre-pump mods? Post up some pics of the mixing chamber screens. Sounds like they will be "nasty". I didn't bother to even look at mine (don't think I still have it). Only had 80k miles on mine then.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_914
OK went in to get the CPS recall done. Ran OK but I think they stuck a different tune into it as well. But after fueling up and going to a meeting last night the truck started that damn stalling thing again.

I am convinced it's fuel delivery so the tank is coming out this weekend. I can only imagine the crud I will find after 10 years and 231,000 miles.
Does it only act up when warmed up, or all the time. When it stalls, is it when you're pulling up to a stop sign?

Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Joe_914
Senior User
Mostly steady state cruising, after an agressive left or right turn onto freeway on ramps that generate a little bit of lateral G's of really bumpy sections of interstate. or right after I fill up.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I was initially thinking the IPR, but that doesn't sound like it. Sounds like an electrical connection which you probably already figured that out. It shouldn't be too hard to create the problem in the driveway withthe engine running and start playing with wires until it acts up again. There is a wire on the IPR that does come loose that can cause it to stall. The IPR is in the valley of the engine behind the HPOP reservior on the drivers side. Vibration and sudden turns that cause it to act up causes me to think it's electrical. It may be fuel related too though.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Joe_914
Senior User
IPR = what is it and what does it do?

I am sure there is a certain amount of time a Newb like me has before i learn all these acronyms.

I mean I just figured out what CPS (cam position Sensor)
HPOP is (High Pressure oil pump) But I can't point it out under the hood yet.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
OTTOMATIC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck now has 323,000 mi. fuel tank never dropped but i always have used a fuel conditioner. Just recently I ran some of this:
http://www.algae-x.net/pdf/AFC_Binder.pdf
The Detroit Diesel mechanic suggested I try it before i drop the tank..
So far I've noticed a change in performance.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
IPR = what is it and what does it do?

I am sure there is a certain amount of time a Newb like me has before i learn all these acronyms.

I mean I just figured out what CPS (cam position Sensor)
HPOP is (High Pressure oil pump) But I can't point it out under the hood yet.
IPR- Internal Pressure Regulator. It regulates the oil pressure from the HPOP to the injectors. They have a couple O-rings in it that go bad over time. When that happens, it is usually noticeable when the truck is at operating temperature. Actually runs better cold than warmed up when the O-rings start leaking.

The HPOP reservoir is on top of the engine in the front. It's that rectangle iron box that you have to look over in order to see into the valley from hell. The High Pressure Oil Pump is in the bottom of that box. The IPR is also at the bottom of that box too. It's on the back side, on the bottom, close to the drivers side head of the engine. Check the wire on the back of that thing. It has a tin nut that is known for coming loose. Be careful, it can be stripped out easily.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Joe_914
Senior User
Dang that's a great description of where things are and what things are. I might have to write some of these acronyms down so I can learn the lingo.

Leaky O-rings..... would I smell the fuel occasionally.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:38 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Dang that's a great description of where things are and what things are. I might have to write some of these acronyms down so I can learn the lingo.

It would be an oil leak,not fuel.

acronyms from the tech folder = https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...re-on-fte.html

Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot

No, it's an internal leak with oil going where it isn't suppose to. Like I said, when this happens, it usually shows its ugly head when the truck is warmed up and the oil is thined out from the heat. It slips around the o-rings easier when warm.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Joe_914
Senior User
Wow, that link to acronyms is pretty awesome. I got some studying to do.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Joe_914
Senior User
OK tank is out nd fuel is drained. Inside is spic and span.

HOWEVER the suction screen was broken off and laying in the bottom of the tank. and the little orange rubber check valve looking thingy hasa tear in it. Parts on order with the dealer should be in by lunch.

Didn't get a chance to look at IPR wiring as I had to get grass cut while it wasn't raining.

So what is the big plastic round thing that connects return line to supply via a hose. Should I replace that hose as it is pretty hard.

Gonna do that Harpoon thing to the fill and vent tubes.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of install new parts, you should rip that damn filter off the intake, and do the "hutch" intank mod. Go to either ITPdiesel.com or Dieselsite.com and look up the intank filter mods, you can do it yourself with some 3/8" brake line and some brass fittings if you don't want to buy it.

Quick Reply: PSD is still a POS