Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Won't go full throttle, also has died at idle before

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't go full throttle, also has died at idle before

First of all, thanks in advance for any help. "Bubba" is a 2000 Super Duty 7.3 PS automatic and he's got 2 problems.

#1) I was cruisin in Pigeon Forge(car show weekend) about a year ago and may have done a dumb thing(my 1st diesel). After being in bumper to bumper traffic for several hours cruising, I revved up the motor a few times. The next day on the way home is when I noticed the truck would not run wide open any longer. (Just a few days before that, I floored it and it ran like a beast) It runs great at 3/4 throttle, but if I go any more, it acts like its closing the wastegate or something....as it falls on its face. The engine does shut off, but because you were set back in the seat initialy on acceleration, when it acts up, it wants to send you in the windshield .

#2) The 2nd problem has only shown itself 3 times since I've had the truck.....just the other day within minutes of each other.

Anyway, I can be driving along and when I coast to go around a corner, the engine dies. If I take the time to turn the ignition off, then back on and start...it'll start right up.

BTW, the other day when it did it twice in a few minutes, I was in traffic again for about 30 minutes(temp gauge shows normal). It started right up, then about 15 minutes later, it did it again. Again, I was at idle each time this has happened. I didn't want to get stuck away from home, so I headed home and haven't had the problem since.

Any ideas?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, #1 your truck is possibly defueling, after you get up to 23-24 PSI's your truck defuels because of the high boost. An overboost inailator will correct this problem.. #2 sounds like a CPS issue. These things are notorious for these problems. Was down there in August, the RRE event near the county fairgrounds in Newport, nice down there and great folk.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Yep, #1 your truck is possibly defueling, after you get up to 23-24 PSI's your truck defuels because of the high boost. An overboost inailator will correct this problem.. #2 sounds like a CPS issue. These things are notorious for these problems. Was down there in August, the RRE event near the county fairgrounds in Newport, nice down there and great folk.
Thats a good thought, but why would it have ran like a raped ape for the previous year? It only started acting up after the car show....dang near a year ago now. Could the wategate go bad?

#2, good deal. I have the recall notice and will get that handled this week.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Wastegate would have no effect on what you are experiencing. If a wastegate were closing then extra boost pressure would be building , and the truck would run better. look in my gallery(the one labled tech) for view of a dissassembled wastegate actuator.

You sig says you have a bullypuppy outlook, I had one of those way back in 05. Have you tried to read codes? If so, what are they? What is your boost pressure running?

I agree with Mike that the truck is not getting fuel, but I dont believe the PCM is defueling it because of high boost. If your truck defuels because of high boost it is more of an easy let down, not violent enought to throw you to the windsheild.

Most likely you are losing ICP(injection control pressure) due to a faulty IPR (injector pressure regulator) or ICP sensor. You will need an advanced diagnostics tool( no, the local auto parts stores dont have them) to read the ICP and the duty cycle to determine which.

do not take advantage of the CPS recall until your CPS actually goes out.

Ziggy, Jdecker, or crum71 all live up near you, contact any of them and they would be glad to help you diagnose the truck.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Wastegate would have no effect on what you are experiencing. If a wastegate were closing then extra boost pressure would be building , and the truck would run better. look in my gallery(the one labled tech) for view of a dissassembled wastegate actuator.

You sig says you have a bullypuppy outlook, I had one of those way back in 05. Have you tried to read codes? If so, what are they? What is your boost pressure running?

I agree with Mike that the truck is not getting fuel, but I dont believe the PCM is defueling it because of high boost. If your truck defuels because of high boost it is more of an easy let down, not violent enought to throw you to the windsheild.

Most likely you are losing ICP(injection control pressure) due to a faulty IPR (injector pressure regulator) or ICP sensor. You will need an advanced diagnostics tool( no, the local auto parts stores dont have them) to read the ICP and the duty cycle to determine which.

do not take advantage of the CPS recall until your CPS actually goes out.

Ziggy, Jdecker, or crum71 all live up near you, contact any of them and they would be glad to help you diagnose the truck.
I have never seen a light come on before, but for S & g's, have tried to pull codes...but there were'nt any in the memory.

Is the IPR and ICP expensive?....and halfway easy to replace?....or is it something that a diesel mechanic should do? If they're not too terribly expensive, I'll just buy both.

BTW, the outlook monitor shows 29 psi on the boost, but it can't be but for a second on that before it falls on its face.

Thanks for your time.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
I read about others possibly having trash in the tank. Could this be my problem?....if so, wouldn't it do this on acceleration?...because my problem has only shown itself coming to an idle.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by American Air-1
I read about others possibly having trash in the tank. Could this be my problem?....if so, wouldn't it do this on acceleration?...because my problem has only shown itself coming to an idle.
It would be much easier to check your fuel pressure first, before dropping the tank.

now if i remember correctly the outlook monitor pulls its info from the OBDII port (except pyro), If your outlook monitor did show 29PSI of boost, and you do not have a boost fooler, then yes the truck is defueling itself. The reason it dies at idle is because after a hard run the ICP is trying to regulate, and the duty cycle will fall off while the IPR is bleeding off any extra pressure, it can stumble and die.

Bully Dog is a safe programmer, but it is old technology that has not been updated . I ran a power pup for 4 years, and talked at length with the tech support form bullydog, they consider the 7.3 a dead platform (their words not mine).

Old 09-17-2009, 07:38 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
....."now if i remember correctly the outlook monitor pulls its info from the OBDII port (except pyro)"

I looked and the OBDII plug has nothing on it, so I guess the Outlook monitor is hard wired onto the PCM? If it was starved for fuel, wouldn't the problem be more stumbling on take off than at idle?

BTW, the last 2 times(within minutes of each other) the problem showed itself, I had got a tank full of diesel about 45 minutes before and I had not got on it hard that day at all.

Sorry for the dumb questions, this is my first diesel.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by American Air-1
....."now if i remember correctly the outlook monitor pulls its info from the OBDII port (except pyro)"

I looked and the OBDII plug has nothing on it, so I guess the Outlook monitor is hard wired onto the PCM? If it was starved for fuel, wouldn't the problem be more stumbling on take off than at idle?

BTW, the last 2 times(within minutes of each other) the problem showed itself, I had got a tank full of diesel about 45 minutes before and I had not got on it hard that day at all.

Sorry for the dumb questions, this is my first diesel.
I went back and looked at the destrucions for the Outlook install, and your boost is read by a pigtail connected to the map sensor, and the pyro is hard wired to the probe.

PSDs dont really need a whole lot of fuel pressure at idle, they will idle with about 20psi, but you really need at least 55psi for the engine to get up and go. You really need to check your fuel pressure at the fuel bowl.

The fitting for the rear of the fuel bowl is male SAE 20 o-ring to Fm 1/8 NPT. You can find this at a hydraulics store that sells Parker fittings. About $2 to $3. While you are there you can pick up a 100PSI oil filled guage for about $8 to $10,( you can also get one from a bigbox auto parts store, it just costs a little more) and a 36 inch 1/8th NPT Male to Female hose for $10 to $15 (a grease gun hose works well). This mod you will need some thread locker for, don't use teflon tape on the fuel system due to little pieces that may come off from the threading and clog up an injector nozzle.

Run your hose and guage out to the wiper cowl, and you can watch your fuel pressure while idling and driving. The first pic below is of when I tested my setup, I later mounted the fuel pressure guage permantly (2nd pic)

final mount

Old 09-17-2009, 05:08 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Hey guys, I appreciate all the help. I went ahead and changed the CPS(saved old one in tool box) and who knows if it'll die again in traffic, but I have noticed a small change in something already. Since I've had the truck, I've noticed......, well, I guess some would call it a "hunt" when coming off the throttle to an idle. Kind of like the engine is racing just a tad when the torque converter had just disengaged......while coasting. After replacing the CPS, I don't hear that anymore. Honestly, I just thought that was normal. Does that make any sense at all?.....or I am losing my mind?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
OK, I replaced the CPS sensor with one from O'Reillys(Borg Warner) before I left for a 600 mile round trip to pickup 1000 lbs of parts. Anyway, it never did stall at idle,but it did do the "hickup" thing 3 times while going down the road.

BTW, I got home and noticed a leak under the truck. It was black, so I assumed it was oil. I know I checked the oil level before I left, so I checked to see how much had leaked.....to my amazment, the oil was still full. From what I could tell(started raining), it seems to only leak when the engine was shut off.....as a pretty good drip. It seemed to stop completely while running. Any ideas?