1977 f 250 power steering - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

1977 f 250 power steering

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the compliments on my work. It wasn't all me though. I measured, cut, tack welded, and temporarily fit the box and then when I had it all together, I had a bro of mine weld it up and then painted.

It works fine. I don't do any offroading or put any kind of strain on the truck, so the push pull design works great. However, I've been leaning toward the cross-over design or inverted T. The only thing that I'm concerned with and I think I've talked to you Ed about this was the clearance issues with having a stock lift. It would be tricky for the pitman arm and tire rods to clear the springs. Another reason I'd consider the crossover or inverted T is the availability of steering boxes. The 78/79 F250 4x4 boxes are kinda hard to come by while the 2wd ones are not. I'll probably wait until I get a D60 up front someday to do any kind of conversion though.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Junior User

bob doddle is starting off with a positive reputation.
i found a new box for 78-79 250 my only problem is i don't have a core they want more for a core than the rebuilt box
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Post Fiend

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob doddle View Post
i found a new box for 78-79 250 my only problem is i don't have a core they want more for a core than the rebuilt box
And that is one of the problems........Those steering boxes are quite expensive. The one I have I found in a junkyard and rebuilt it myself. It works fine, but for some reason does still leak a bit, but not enough to leave a puddle or anything like that so I'm going to use it until it don't work anymore. I always keep my eye out for another one so I can have a backup. But, that may be another reason to look into using a 2wd steering box like 75F350 said to use with an inverted T style steering.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Junior User

Last edited by bob doddle; 09-16-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: more pic
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Junior User

started to tear down the truck today my son and I got the dog house disassembled.going to work on it again tomorrow going to try and get the cab off of frame.

I'm going to blast frame and paint. I'm going to go with the 78-79 250 steering box so i'm going to mod the frame also.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Post Fiend

Looks like a great project. Keep posting some progress pics.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Junior User

hey quick question i've been reading the threads on s.d springs but haven't come across if i could use front springs from a 99 sd diesel i found a stock set a guy will let get for $50.00
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 PM
New User

FordGilly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help

i've been reading through all these threads and getting alot of help but i wanna know if the power steering cylinder i buy off of auto zone will fit in place of the stock cylinder...i dont know much about building a truck and my brother who's done it for years has no idea either...just hoping for a little feed back! thanks all
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Junior User

i'm not sure which cyl your talking about but i found one from the auto stores and they would replace it but the cost of all the parts for this sys are to much for me ill replace the steering withh an upgrade from this thread
Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 PM
New User

meaculpa3x is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a buddy (no, not me) who has a 76 F250. His power steering system was shot. I tried to talk him into doing a conversion but he declined and bought himself a new remanufactured Pump, Control valve, Cylinder and 4 new hoses from Redhead Steering Gears, in Seattle. He put it all together himself and didn't have power steering when he was done. He brought it to me to see if I could fix it. I first attempted to bleed it thinking maybe it just had air in the system. I found he had the power and return lines reversed. Figured that was the problem. After flushing 2 gallons of fluid through it I could only get it to "power" steer to the left but no power to the right. I told him his valve must not be any good, figuring it was only channeling power one direction. He returned it and got a replacement. I installed it and now it still only power steers to the left and not to the right!! What could be the problem? To be honest I'm not sure if the 4 hoses are in the right ports on the valve. All the ports are the same size, but have different adapters, installed by my buddy, for the different hoses fittings. But these adapters could go in any of the ports on the valve. I don't know if the hoses are connected right. Anyone able to help me know if the hoses are connected right? or what else could possibly be the problem?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Junior User

what ports are the hoses in
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Freshman User

PNWguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bob, what's that tire ladder-step gadget your son is standing on in the last photobucket pic (above)?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Junior User

that is snap on tire step work well on all of my trucks that i've had it is adjustable for tire sizes
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Elder User

Craigwell is starting off with a positive reputation.
meaculpa3x:

I had this problem too. Make sure the ports are correct, but recently when I had this problem, the ONLY way I could resolve it was to actually shim the front side of the spool valve (nearest to the ball socket on the control valve) to get my highboy's assist balanced out.

This was after an accident, when no other detectable damage had been done.

You can also adjust a collar where a roll pin keeps the adjustment on the same end of the spool, or adjust tension on a spring-loaded nut on the opposite end of the spool.

I had been doing both of these, with no result - until I shimmed the spool itself with a thin washer.

It was a last-gasp attempt on my part, and I was quite surprised when it worked.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Freshman User

PNWguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Bob, did a search for 'tire step' and found several different makes/models. This will come in handy.