Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Door holder / hanger for 1954

Old 09-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Steve Bennett
Senior User
Steve Bennett is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steve Bennett is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Door holder / hanger for 1954

Has anyone made or used any type holder / hanger for hanging truck doors? I am usually a 1 man operation but I have an overhead hoist and a shop crane available. I need to do some tweaking on my doors that will require them to be on & off numerous times. Any kind of tool available? Thanks for any help, Steve

Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have used the engine hoist alot in the past for lifting the doors when alone in the shop.I wrapped an old towel around the top of the window frame..used an old cotton 3" stap thru th door and to the hoist.

That worked ok..after finding the center of gravity... but was cumbersome,awkward and somewhat unstable.

I followed RandyJacks method of "pinning" the floating nut-plates inside the door..
After final(or your best)door adjustment,using RJ's method now make door installment back to the same place too simple..I now use a floorjack and roll the door into the hinges.Two people for this job will make you feel more comfortable...especially after paint, ...install at an angle(door open) with just enough room for you to get in between the door and sill-plate. Check-out RJ's Gallery to get a very good write-up on the procedure,it;s worth the effort..my buddy and I can now install both doors in less than 5 min to same spot..no adjustment nec. Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:35 AM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
A cherry picker will work, but they usually don't hang straight.....I use a floor jack (balancing act) or jackstands, seems to work better once you get them lined up. It would be real easy to make a cradle for a floor jack.....I've seen them in tool catalogs...........T/M

Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
I used a floor jack to originally position the doors, then trial and error in finding the proper gaps and fit. I was working alone, so it took a lot of time. The pinning method was developed just to eliminate the hassle of trial and error the second time. Since I have had my doors on and off many times, this trick has proved really helpful. Now, I just hold the door up by the upper frame, slide it over the hinges, push the pins home, and run in the bolts. It is a one man job.

the link to my gallery about it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=27817

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used an adjustable shop stool. Has an uphostered seat so its gentle on the door and has a lever to allow you to raise or lower it . $30 at Canadian Tire...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Steve Bennett
Senior User
Steve Bennett is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steve Bennett is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks Guys for the tips! I knew I had read way back about the pins but old timers has set in. Great info RJ! Thanks again, Steve

Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM
larryb346
Elder User
larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.
Look in any good body shop supply catalog and you will find door hangers. I have made them and they are not too difficult. They allow you to roll the door into position and tilt the door forward and back and in and out. really make handling doors a breeze. If your not aware they also have cab and bed handlers, made to use a cherry picker. Really cool stuff if you do a lot of body work.
Larry

Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by larryb346 View Post
Look in any good body shop supply catalog and you will find door hangers. I have made them and they are not too difficult. They allow you to roll the door into position and tilt the door forward and back and in and out. really make handling doors a breeze. If your not aware they also have cab and bed handlers, made to use a cherry picker. Really cool stuff if you do a lot of body work.
Larry
I have one of the door installer tools.. doesn't work with the running board brackets in the way on a lowered truck.. but I had already hung & marked the doors, this tool was only for the painter to use when I wasn't there..

Sam

Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
larryb346
Elder User
larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is a link to a door holder I patterned one of mine after. I haven't tried to use it on the 55 but not sure it would interfere with the running board mounts. I use mine to install late model doors and bumpers my myself. Makes the job easy.
http://www.toolsusa.com/asp/item_det...505&GENB=&UID=
It's not a painting hanger, just made to install.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Steve Bennett
Senior User
Thanks for the link Larry. I believe I can build something similar, just needed an idea of how to get started. I don't think my budget would allow ordering the ready made one anyway. Thanks again to all replies / suggestions, Steve

Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 AM
carguyy
New User
carguyy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Door Lift

I don't know if this is something you would be looking for...but Auto Body Toolmart has a door lift that works pretty well. At least it has for me. I've never tried to use a truck door on it so am unsure if it will fit correctly. I am guessing it would though.