What Diesel Engine is Best - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

What Diesel Engine is Best

Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Based upon my own experience and what the OP indicated it seems like there may be some upgrades in the future. So I would suggest going ahead and getting the PSD to start with.
08-09 and into 10 my they are 6.4. In Jan 10 they go way and the new 6.7 comes up. Can you still pick up a 6.4 at a dealer yes.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
06powerstrokin
New User
06powerstrokin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jasfaa View Post
come out to Washington state with your V10 and I would love to see you out pull me up a mountain. Texans always say a V10 works better than a diesel for them. Of course it does. No hills, no elevation. Out here they are puking at the first sign of a hill and change in elevation. Plus hows your mileage with all of that weight. I remember getting 6 to 8 in mine a few years back and I don't believe much has changed in that wonderful statistic.
Hey now I have to disagree with the Texan thing.. I'm from Texas and I wouldn't suggest anything that drank out of a black nozzle! Diesel all the way. I love my '06 and I've been everywhere from texas to new mexico to new jersey, lovin it all the way! Ain't nothin wrong with a good 6.0. You get your gears right and you can pull anything you want lol

Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.
i would get a late model 6.0 if i were you. a 6.4 might be a good choice too, but i dont like them because the engine is too quiet. everytime i drive by one i can never tell whether its a diesel or a gasser. of course the quietness is probably a plus for most people, thats just my opinion on them.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 PM
429law
Junior User
429law is starting off with a positive reputation.
It all up to you the diesel's are awesome, the 7.3l are getting a little old but so what the aftermarket has everything you could ever want, I would not get a 6.0l in the 03-04 years, I hear 05-06 were better however they still had issues with the egr valves (most). I dont know enough about the 6.4l to say one way or the other. My 2002 7.3 gets around 15 mpg towing with the 8k trailer on 6% and 7% grades, that is combined MPG on a 600 mile trip. I would take each one for a drive and see what works best for you. They are right about the dodge trucks my brother has a 07 6.7l and it rides like a rock.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Phyland
New User
Phyland is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago

I set out with the mind set to get a 7.3 but couldnt find one with the miles i wanted but after comparing the 7.3 with the 6.0 I realized two things. Stock to stock the 6.0 has more power and tourqe then the 7.3 and I liked the range the 6.0 shifted in, it seemed to have more top end power though the 7.3 has good low end. I alos compared the fuel millage which is a pretty big diffrence.
But the deal breaker for me was the 7.3 had a 6" lift and 37 or 40" tires and I didnt like that set up for a tow rig.
I went with a 04 6.0 and tow a 18" lowboy with a lifted jeep and 4-wheelr loaded bed and have no problems.
My newbee appionon.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
HuntsDucks70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HuntsDucks70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by jasfaa View Post
come out to Washington state with your V10 and I would love to see you out pull me up a mountain. Texans always say a V10 works better than a diesel for them. Of course it does. No hills, no elevation. Out here they are puking at the first sign of a hill and change in elevation. Plus hows your mileage with all of that weight. I remember getting 6 to 8 in mine a few years back and I don't believe much has changed in that wonderful statistic.
get over your insecurities, he never stated he could out pull you, read the post and leave your emotions out of it, just be content with your power plant, it almost seems like you are trying to convince yourself, all he stated was that the vehicle could pull the load, which i am sure it could, he did not say he could pull and win the race

Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Mustang6147 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by donlin37 View Post
I am in the market for a 250/350, diesel, super cab, 4x4, long bed truck for pulling my boat. I also want to put a camper on the truck so maybe have to go with the 350 dually. I could use a 2006 or later model.

I have heard about some of Ford's diesels as being a maintenance challenge. Although I have been a Ford owner for over 40 yrs I don't want to pick a bad year engine. My current truck is a F-150, lariet, 4x4 with the 5.4L which is a good truck.
Which truck would you consider if you were in my shoes?

My opinion is, V10 or 5.4 after 07... There isnt a diesel that Ford has worth owning, since 02, and there isnt another truck out there either worth owning... I really like my 5.4, but its prefference.

I would consider a 07 F250 or 350 with either 5.4 or v10 and a torqueshift. Depending how big a camper you slide in, you may want a dually?? F350 Dually V10 4:10 gears 4x4

Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 PM
nickj11
Junior User
nickj11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have patience, you may be able to find a 7.3-- ? I know of several folks w/ the 6.0's w/o alot of problems- so far and they all have over 100K. I had decided about 2 years ago that I was going to a 3/4 ton- and really wanted the cummins. Just couldn't like the rest of the truck and like someone posted- you don't ride on the engine. I was blessed to find a great shape 03 w/ the 7.3 and just over 100K -=- and for a really good price. But they are getting more scarce by the day. Also, no hills to speak of in South La., so, all I can speak for is this region,but, the v-10 is a pulling SOB (know a couple fellas w/ em), fuel mileage isn't quite where the ps's are at from what they say. Prolly wouldn't go w/ the 5.4 unless it was a really great deal and really great truck, but, that is a good engine too- but the 250 is much more truck than the 150.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 AM
PHElectric
Junior User
PHElectric is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70 View Post
get over your insecurities, he never stated he could out pull you, read the post and leave your emotions out of it, just be content with your power plant, it almost seems like you are trying to convince yourself, all he stated was that the vehicle could pull the load, which i am sure it could, he did not say he could pull and win the race
You might wanna look again, in his signature he says "my V10 will out pull your PSD anyday". Which is bull, I'd like to see his gasser out pull my 600hp 1100lbs tq 6.4. Not trying to sound cool but its a fact. In road tests even dry load, the V10 has quicker acceleration for about 4-5 seconds then the 6.4 passes it no problem, both stock. Now as far as pulling, its common sense to know whats going to happen when they both have a load with the 6.4 having way more tq.

If you put all the mods you could on a 6.4 and a V10, it wouldn't even be a race/pull it would be a joke. But I will say they are fun gas engines to drive, I've owned one. After owning both I'd never say "my V10 can out pull your PSD anyday" thats just being goofy.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru
mlb4966 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had an 02 V10 Dually. Horrible fuel millage when towing.
Had an 04 but all the injectors on the driver's side went out.
Had an 06 and yep blown head gasket at 50k.
Went back to 2000 7.3 for now.

Lessons learned. 6.0 has more power then my 7.3. The older V-10 flat out sucked for towing in the hills and I have a lot of hills if that is what you want to call them. Not sure how well the newer V-10's are so I wont critize them. My 7.3 has 140,000 but seems to still run strong. Will wait a few years to see were ford goes next. The other plus is that I dont have to run that ULSD if I dont want and no worries about messing up the motor.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 AM
PHElectric
Junior User
PHElectric is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mustang6147 View Post
My opinion is, V10 or 5.4 after 07... There isnt a diesel that Ford has worth owning, since 02, and there isnt another truck out there either worth owning... I really like my 5.4, but its prefference.

I would consider a 07 F250 or 350 with either 5.4 or v10 and a torqueshift. Depending how big a camper you slide in, you may want a dually?? F350 Dually V10 4:10 gears 4x4
Funny my father in law tows a 18' snowmobile trailer and absolutley hated his 5.4 he owned for 3months. It was gutless for pulling. Dry it got terrible gas milage, towing milage was a laugh. His trailer was so heavy that it put too much stress on his engine and it blew up on him. He got a 05 6.0 and is in love with it. His first diesel ever. The 5.4 is plain inferior compared to any PSD or V10. I'm actually shocked someone jumped in and recommended it for a towing vehicle.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 AM
FordMan1981
Freshman User
FordMan1981 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wonder what many people think of the forthcoming Cummins V-block diesel engines? Its downside is that the peak horsepower of these two are achieved at 5000 rpm, like that of the old Volkswagen diesel four-bangers.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Buzzard_Wing
Senior User
Buzzard_Wing is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I was looking to replace my 95 F-250 (rust!) with a newer truck I was open to anything for a replacement as long it was X-Cab and 8' bed AND in my price range (financially challenged). I had a big preference for Ford because the 95 (351w) was the best vehicle I ever owned.

A tractor bud is a Ford parts guy and he said 7.3 if you get a Ford diesel. So when I happened into a one in very good condition with 212K on it, I wasn't too afraid of it.

I had never driven a diesel until I drove it home. Just got back from 1500 mile trip with a 2000# slide in camper and I can't believe how well that truck runs with that load. It never even breathes hard, regardless of the size of the hill. The SD is far better all the way around compared to to the 'old style'. The biggest bonus is the fuel economy. I could never imagine 15 MPG with the old one, but to get that with a ton in the bed (and the wind resistance) really is nice.

Surely I gambled, but I am really happy with the truck.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by PHElectric View Post
His trailer was so heavy that it put too much stress on his engine and it blew up on him.
I don't buy it. Many folks have towed WAY more than a little 18' snowmobile trailer with the 5.4 without any problems. Including ME!

You can't overwork that engine. Just won't happen. It'll sing all day long at 3,500 RPMs and never look back. So long as it's maintained it'll likely last as long, or longer, than the rest of the truck.

How much did his little trailer weigh? I've had 9,500 behind a 5.4 before...

Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 AM
hughjazz
Senior User
hughjazz has a good reputation on FTE.hughjazz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PHElectric View Post
Funny my father in law tows a 18' snowmobile trailer and absolutley hated his 5.4 he owned for 3months. It was gutless for pulling. Dry it got terrible gas milage, towing milage was a laugh. His trailer was so heavy that it put too much stress on his engine and it blew up on him. He got a 05 6.0 and is in love with it. His first diesel ever. The 5.4 is plain inferior compared to any PSD or V10. I'm actually shocked someone jumped in and recommended it for a towing vehicle.

empty my 5.4 does 17 mpg. how does your rocket ship 6.4 do?
Too much stress on the engine? Not likely.
Wait till your father in law has to buy cylinder head studs. see if he still likes it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Diesel Engine is Best

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.